• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'm at 3003mHz with RAM timings of [email protected]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ny_driver

Registered
...but only at 176mHz because I backed the RAM down to 133mHz. If I try to go higher and the computer won't quite boot, what changes might I make in my RAM timings to get a little more OC on the CPU? :salute: or with the RAM underclocked is that not going to make a difference?

Vengance_01

Well first we need to know what kind of ram you have. If you have BH-5/CH-5 ram, those loved low timings and could handle 230-250FSB but you had to crank the memory voltage. Then there was TCCD and its different offsprings that could handle high speeds but at 2.5/3/3/5 or 7 and need very little voltage. I am guessing here its your ram thats holding you back. Although 3GHZ out of a older 939 K8 is very very good.

QuietIce

Disabled
2.65v is too low for much of an OC but if you want to play around with them before the OCZ gets there try 2.5-3-3-7 for timings and see if that helps. You still may need a little more voltage though ...

moz_21

2.65v is too low for much of an OC but if you want to play around with them before the OCZ gets there try 2.5-3-3-7 for timings and see if that helps. You still may need a little more voltage though ...

I ran 3-2-3-6 on my Mushkin blackline at 250Mhz ram speed. Opty was only good for 2.8Ghz.

QuietIce

Disabled
My sig Corsair's (BH-5) were stock at 2-3-2-6 and will run 260+ at 2.80v using 3-3-2-6 timings but the 2-2-2-6 sticks are different. I've got a pair of those on another rig and (mine at least) seem to like the "old fashioned" 2.5-3-3-7 and 3-4-4-8 timings better ...

Malakai

Dude, friend, buddy! Its time to upgrade! We can put you together a system that will downright smoke what you have there for so cheap its shocking :) AMD kicks butt atm! esp when it comes to price.

Athlon II X4 920 Propus - $99 shipped
Gigabyte AM3 785G motherboard - $79 shipped
2x2gb kit of ddr3, 1333-1600 - $80-$100 depending on speed/sales
Good 120mm heatpipe AM2+/3 cooler ~$30

Believe me this will eat your current setup for breakfast, and at somewhere around 300 bucks, its practically free considering what you are getting. With a decent power supply and the above hardware, you can expect 3.3-3.6ghz on the CPU.

If you can find some used ddr2-800/1066 for cheap, you can get the ddr2 am2+ ver of the mobo and save some more. Also, depending on what video card you have in there, the onboard DX10 graphics on the mobo might be faster than what you are currently running!! And with Windows 7 Ultimate X64, youll have the added benefits of a full DX10 accelerated Aero UI.

DDR2&3 are a huge improvement over old school ddr, and that athlon 2 besides having more cores and a higher clock speed. also does a lot more work per clock per core than what you have now. It would be a massive upgrade for the price :)

OP
ny_driver

ny_driver

Registered
Dude, friend, buddy! Its time to upgrade! We can put you together a system that will downright smoke what you have there for so cheap its shocking :) AMD kicks butt atm! esp when it comes to price.

Athlon II X4 920 Propus - $99 shipped
Gigabyte AM3 785G motherboard - $79 shipped
2x2gb kit of ddr3, 1333-1600 - $80-$100 depending on speed/sales
Good 120mm heatpipe AM2+/3 cooler ~$30

Believe me this will eat your current setup for breakfast, and at somewhere around 300 bucks, its practically free considering what you are getting. With a decent power supply and the above hardware, you can expect 3.3-3.6ghz on the CPU.

If you can find some used ddr2-800/1066 for cheap, you can get the ddr2 am2+ ver of the mobo and save some more. Also, depending on what video card you have in there, the onboard DX10 graphics on the mobo might be faster than what you are currently running!! And with Windows 7 Ultimate X64, youll have the added benefits of a full DX10 accelerated Aero UI.

DDR2&3 are a huge improvement over old school ddr, and that athlon 2 besides having more cores and a higher clock speed. also does a lot more work per clock per core than what you have now. It would be a massive upgrade for the price :)

I know, but I can't afford a proper upgrade right now. Probably in the next 3-6 months. Along with that stuff you mentioned I'd need to buy a good video card, a new OS, and nice new case( probably looking at $500 minimum, I like to get the best, or close to it when I buy new stuff) I currently have an agp HIS [email protected] 590/770. I can't believe anything onboard could be close to that. I suppose it's possible...I'm not really up on all the technological advancements. I'm getting an Opteron 170(CCB1E) and 2x1024 OCZ platinum, I paid $80 for the Opty, and $35 for the OCZ which is a lot considering what you can get today, but it's still going to be a nice upgrade.
Thanks for the concern.....I'll be here researching when it gets to be time to build a new rig. Have a Merry Christmas. :salute: