• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i'm back!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Como

its been way too long, buti finally have DSL. curse that dialup! curse it!

But its gone. i'm downloading a file at about 80 KBS right now. whoot. So, i have verizon DSL (choke) yeah, its bad, but not as bad as my dialup was. It works, and its fast. any always on...beat that! (okay, dont. but for me, its great)

So, i have a Westell model 2200. First things first, what are some tweaks? i ran a cat5 to the phone box outside (this house has bad lines) for the phone. still need to mount it in the wall....

i also gotta run a cat5 to my room, i hate this stupid 500 mhz computer. when i get mine watercooled i'll be ael to leavit on overnight...and that means always on internet, in my room. god i cant wait.

So, Tweaks? suggestions? stories? ;) thanks!

OP
Como

Como

ooh ooh, also, i cant seem to get it to work through my WRT54G router i bought. i cant even connect to the modem through its defalt IP thing, but it could be a setup issue. (i bout the router maybe a month ago and had some time to play with itm while i diddnt have my internet till today.)
tips?

LiGhTBoY

Most modems take the MAC address of the first computer/network device that connects to them. Your router should have an option for mac cloning so that it fools the modem into thinking that the "original" computer is connected.

OP
Como

Como

well at the moment its working on the second one i've connected.

OP
Como

Como

i'm having a weird problem where IE likes to try and put other extentinos on an address, and it wont come up.

IE, i type www.ocforums.com, it tries www.ocforums.com.org, www.ocforums.com.gov,www.ocforums.com.edu, ext, then says it cant open the search page. this happens only when i run a specific program that runs off java, which i've had problmems with before...it also happens to max out my connection. is this an issue with the program or not enough bandwidth?

TimDgsr

with bellsouth dsl, to get the westell working with my linksys, i had to go into the modem setup. under advanced options, on one of the config pages, where the PPPoE settings are, you can change it from PPPoE to bridged mode. this will allow you to use the router to control the connection. then you just go into the router's config and set your [email protected] and your password.

OP
Como

Como

well then, i'll have to try that in a bit...

i'm ot exactly sure what my username is, though....would that be the same as my "Account ID"? i think so. i'll try that in a few.

OP
Como

Como

now that i'm looking at the setup, my modem appears to have a DHCP server. should that be enabeled if i'm uplinked to my router? i believe my router has one as well.

OP
Como

Como

okay, my modem is set to bridge, and it seems to be working, but its plugged in to another port, not the internet...to my understanding my router is doing no more than switching the signal from the modem to the comuter now...

I get nothing when its plugged into internet, and i cant seem to access the setup of my router now. it cant seem to find it i guess, but i'm sure of the IP i used to look at it yesterday. I reset it and that diddnt help. Grah!

TimDgsr

My westell's ip was 192.168.1.254

It does have dhcp capabilities built into it, and you could plug it directly into the switch and let it do DHCP if you wanted in theory. The problem with the westells is I don't think they can be set to keep the connection and auto-connect if the connection is dropped(I could be wrong on that.) Once mine was in bridged mode I connected it to the wan port of my router. Then typed in my account information/password, went to the status page of the router to make sure it was connecting. After that it was all good for me.

When in bridged mode I don't remember if you setup dhcp or not, or if it even matters.

theELVISCERATOR

TimDgsr said:
My westell's ip was 192.168.1.254

It does have dhcp capabilities built into it, and you could plug it directly into the switch and let it do DHCP if you wanted in theory. The problem with the westells is I don't think they can be set to keep the connection and auto-connect if the connection is dropped(I could be wrong on that.) Once mine was in bridged mode I connected it to the wan port of my router. Then typed in my account information/password, went to the status page of the router to make sure it was connecting. After that it was all good for me.

When in bridged mode I don't remember if you setup dhcp or not, or if it even matters.

any 192 ip is local

OP
Como

Como

i already knew that...

anyways now that thius has gotten way off topic i've made another post on it...this one is to gloat tjhat i finally have BROADBAND! WEEEE!!!!!