• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Im broke.. why did i spend this much on my PC LOL... uhg

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cnaydmancangt

So, my specs in the sig are still what i had minus the 1080ti and the 1GB 860evo and the monitor.. My system as a whole though was outdated.. Like my case was from 2004, my water cooling was a modded maze 3 block and radiator/pump from 2001, my keyboard was a mechanical keyboard i love from 1996, my mouse was soem generic microsoft mouse.. In the last 2 months (most just within the last week) i have spent over $2,000 on computer parts....

Here is what i bought in the last week.

1. Asus Rog Strix 1080ti at 770$

2. Asus ROG Gladius 2 mouse 16.8m color $100

3. Thermaltake Poseidon Z keyboard 16.8m colors $100

4. Thermaltake View 71 case $175

5. Thermaltake 360mm water cooling setup $200

6. Thermaltake 120mm 5x fans 16.8m colors with controller. $140

7. 860 EVO 1TB SSD $250

And 2 months ago i bought a Viotek GN27D monitor WAS $400 to replace my 12 year old 19 inch LCD...

Im insane i think... i told myself.. no my case is fine, my keyboard is fine, havent spent a dime on cooling a cpu in 17 years.. Cpu memory and mobo are still good, video card was a r9-290.. monitor was OLDDD and dying... Do the flashy colors, clean everything and new smells justify the 2000$ lol ??

Uhg computers are so expensive today.. never used to be like this.. But in all honesty.. in 20 years of building pcs ive never had the BEST gpu, or a good mouse or keyboard, no good case.. I always have mid tier stuff... So maybe its about time eh ?

Its ok, i mean it was worth it right ? To get off parts ive been using for 15-20 years or more lol ?

I wouldn't exactly say Pc's are so expensive these days, as I'd say you really didn't "need"to have.

"Asus ROG Gladius 2 mouse 16.8m color $100, Thermaltake Poseidon Z keyboard 16.8m colors $100, Thermaltake View 71 case $175, Thermaltake 360mm water cooling setup $200,Thermaltake 120mm 5x fans 16.8m colors with controller. $140"

I'm not saying you shouldn't have bought those components but you could have saved money, if you were looking to.

All this RGB is a waste of electricity anyways.
I would have definitely even reused that PS/2 keyboard you mentioned in another thread.

I personally think you deserve to splurge a bit, after being so frugal all those years.

Hey, you still got that 1996 mechanical keyboard ? :D

Hopefully you scratched the upgrade itch. ;)

All this RGB is a waste of electricity anyways.
I would have definitely even reused that PS/2 keyboard you mentioned in another thread.
:rofl:

Your rig is exponentially more inefficient than this one. RGB LED strips use a couple of watts... least of our worries.

you got a deal on the 1080ti for $770.... I am currently build a Threadripper 1950x rig, that isn't cheap lol

I wouldn't say computer parts are any more expensive these days. You have a very solid computer build that you easily could have saved money on for around $2k.

Actually, PCs are much less expensive than they were when the first came out on the market if you are talking about a basic PC. But when you start upgrading components to make it into a top notch gaming PC then the equation changes dramatically.

I remember when I built my first true gaming pc with an Intel pentium II @450, that thing cost $650. The total build in 1999 cost my dad around $2500 and I will never forget that experience at the pc expo in Sacramento. I don’t think prices have really changed relative to the performance of high end parts in enthusiasts pc’s. I think that prices have actually gone down a lot in the last 5 years.

Inflation calculator has the cost of $2500 in 1999 being around $3775 in 2018.

PC's cost more even with the inflation calculation. My gaming PC cost $1000 in 1999. Inflation calculation $1,531.27 for 2018. My comparable Gaming PC now cost $1829.

Hey that R9-290 treated me vary well over the years. I just upgraded from mine last year to the 1080TI. At the time mined with it and this card to help "pay" for it :) Worked like a charm hehe.
Then blew a load doing other stuff to the PC so I feel your pain, the checkbook pain that is. Just dropped $1500 on drives, nas, switch and cables myself.

$2200 here to upgrade my system and buy a 43" 4K Monitor. Painful, but considering I plan to have it another 5 years, that is only $36/mo. which makes it cheaper than my car. Frankly, I spent much more time on my PC than in my car.

I could have kept rocking my 4790k, but I am sure in a year or two I will want to upgrade anyways.

$2200 here to upgrade my system and buy a 43" 4K Monitor. Painful, but considering I plan to have it another 5 years, that is only $36/mo. which makes it cheaper than my car. Frankly, I spent much more time on my PC than in my car.

I could have kept rocking my 4790k, but I am sure in a year or two I will want to upgrade anyways.

Smart way of looking at it. Really its an over the time investment.

Back