• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'm currently assembly a build and I REALLY need what is the best play.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sebastian869

Registered
I have a asrock z97 extreme6 and arc midi R2. The Arc comes with its own fan controller and it came with 3 140mm fans. One in the front one in the top and one in the back. I took the one in the front and put 2 in the front (as I put corsair h100i cpu cooler). My dilemma is what is the best option for cooling. Should I connect the fans into the MOBO and let it control the fans or should I use the R2 voltage controller (5,7,12). If I'm reading the manual correctly the case has 5 fan controllers built in. The only thing I don’t understand there Is a 4 pin cpu fan and right next to it a 3 pin cpu fan (The h100i connects with a 3 pin though there's only 1 actual connection in the connection). Is the speed controller on the case or connect to the MOBO?

Thanks,
Sebastian

The fan controller that comes with the R2 is built into the case. On the top near the power button, there's a sliding switch. Looks like it has 3 preset speeds. It controls 3 fans it looks like.. SO you can plug 3 of your fans into that, and control them that way..

I don't know anything about those fans, so I'm not sure if they're voltage controlled or PWM. But if oyu have the proper spots on your motherboard to control them (Preferably PWM), then you could do that too.

As for what you've got.. I'd probably plug the 3 fans that came with the case into the cases controller, and then plug your H100 into the motherboard. If I had to venture a guess, that 3-pin plug with the one cable in it, is for report/controlling speed... Probably through voltage, since PWM's are 4 pin plugs. Nifty that your mobo has a PWM and a voltage control spot right next to eachother for it.

The fan controller that comes with the R2 is built into the case. On the top near the power button, there's a sliding switch. Looks like it has 3 preset speeds. It controls 3 fans it looks like.. SO you can plug 3 of your fans into that, and control them that way..

I don't know anything about those fans, so I'm not sure if they're voltage controlled or PWM. But if oyu have the proper spots on your motherboard to control them (Preferably PWM), then you could do that too.

As for what you've got.. I'd probably plug the 3 fans that came with the case into the cases controller, and then plug your H100 into the motherboard. If I had to venture a guess, that 3-pin plug with the one cable in it, is for report/controlling speed... Probably through voltage, since PWM's are 4 pin plugs. Nifty that your mobo has a PWM and a voltage control spot right next to eachother for it.

yeah the R2 has a 3 option 5-7-12v but u can get rid of all the wiring (its whats cool about the case u can really customize it a lot) and just plug in the fans into the mobo. The corsair h100 is supposed to be pluged into the 3 prong cpu even though it only has a single prong. Another option is to get PWM fans and a
http://www.swiftech.com/8-WayPWMsplitter-sata.aspx
Id really be greatful if someone had a more radical idea.
Or you can get a a corsair fan controller or some other.

Back