• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i'm finally doing it, getting a 5770

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
yea tat doesent get old at all, been talling every one buying a 5770 this have you?

Yep he had.

Nv fanboy alert !!! lol

ED i cant begin to tell you how different 5770 and 260 is.

Not sure why anyone would buy a 260 when you can oc a 5770 so much easier and still get dx11 effects.

Heh, fanboy.. no. Hardly. Its performance according to all reviews are just as fast a GTX260 216, thats all. Its a nice card, Im not crapping on it. But as much as you feel I may be hating on it, there are people touting this card as the best thing since sliced bread when in reality its no faster than a midrange current gen 260.

Sorry, my intent was to be playful not to crap or rain on anyone's parade. :(

@charlie: I know the differences. DX11 (for the one game out), smaller process, less power consumption. Im soley talking about performance. I just hope that thing doesnt get crippled in DX11...price is lower than gtx 260 216 I think as well. ;)
In our performance evaluations, the Radeon HD 5770 performed well, but didn't set the world on fire - the comparative lack of memory bandwidth severely limits the card's potential when compared to the Radeon HD 4890, which has the same engine clock as this new mid-ranged 5000 series card. What's more, we found that the card was also slower than the GeForce GTX 260-216 and Radeon HD 4870 1GB - especially when anti-aliasing was enabled - but it does manage to keep its head well above the Radeon HD 4850, though.

@killem2 - Not sure how you think its "easier" to overclock that card vs GTX 260 216... Both are quite nice overclcokers!

Last edited:
Heh, fanboy.. no. Hardly. Its performance according to all reviews are just as fast a GTX260 216, thats all. Its a nice card, Im not crapping on it. But as much as you feel I may be hating on it, there are people touting this card as the best thing since sliced bread when in reality its no faster than a midrange current gen 260.

@charlie: I know the differences. DX11 (for the one game out), smaller process, less power consumption. Im soley talking about performance. I just hope that thing doesnt get crippled in DX11...price is lower than gtx 260 216 I think as well. ;)

@killem2 - Not sure how you think its "easier" to overclock that card vs GTX 260 216... Both are quite nice overclcokers!
haha :)

Earthdog makes a valid point for those considering the 5770: If you completely ignore DX11, the 5770 is in a comparable tier of performance (fps) as the GTX 260 and Radeon 4870. In fact, the trend of the benchmarks right now shows those two alternatives if anything are a bit better in today's games. Historically, there is potential for the relatively new 5770 to increase in performance as the 5XXX series drivers are optimized, but no guarantee.

When you do consider DX11, it's a mixed bag. On the one hand, we DO NOT know (as Earthydoggydog playfully points out) how well it will handle the next gen of worthwhile DX11 games, as they aren't here yet (Sorry Dirt 2 fans, but I'm ignoring you!). On the other hand, we can guess how well the 4870/GTX260 will perform trying to crank out DX11 - they won't ;).

A lot will ride on the developers to determine how DX10 cards will perform in speed/quality as DX11 titles are produced. Too many unknowns to make an educated guess from my chair.

If you're the sort that legitimately buys/upgrades for the present, there are few reasons you would want a 5770 as long as these options are in the same pricing tier. Those reasons would include Eyefinity support and power consumption priorities. I would NOT recommend a 5770 upgrade to any current 4870/GTX260 owners for this reason. You guys/gals are in a position to hold out until more refined and price-competitive DX11 options to come out.

If you are upgrading now with the future in mind (as in, you want to forestall a future upgrade), a 5770 is one of the best routes to go if its price-tier matches your budget. Not choosing a 5770 today against it's competitors in the same price tier means you're gambling against DX11 being something you will wish you had later on.

I made a similar bet against DX9 once upon a time - that was the WRONG decision, haha :p!

Last edited:

At this point in time 5770 is Second best midrange card only rivaled by 99 $ 4850 ,if you are buying a new card it would make the most sense , while 260 would not , 5770 is cheaper too .And you forgot it supports eyefinity besides DX 11 and much better power consumption .

i dont know you say that , but you glowing green eyes say otherwise:p lol , plus you keep bringing up the subject when no one even asks !!!:blah:

I thought there was heat issues or something? I could be wrong, which sounds like I am. haha

At this point in time 5770 is Second best midrange card only rivaled by 99 $ 4850 ,if you are buying a new card it would make the most sense , while 260 would not , 5770 is cheaper too .And you forgot it supports eyefinity besides DX 11 and much better power consumption .

i dont know you say that , but you glowing green eyes say otherwise:p lol , plus you keep bringing up the subject when no one even asks !!!:blah:
haha charlie, I appreciate the insite, but I do try my best not to be a fanboy. The only driving force in my PC purchases are my wallet. I get what the best performing card/cpu/board/cooler is that I can afford at the time. I still bleed red, and....cant think of anything appropriate for green. But regarding eyefinity at the risk of supporting your Nvidia fanboy statement even though Im just getting the facts out.....:
Frankly, we're not convinced DirectX 11 will be a must-have feature in the mid-range because we've come away from this review feeling that the 5770 isn't likely to be fast enough to make the best use of the new technology (remember that image quality improvements generally don't come for free), but we're ready to be proved wrong when the first true DX11 games turn up. The reason we feel that way is because there's a massive gulf in performance between the 5850 and 5770, which really doesn't add up - it's as if there's a card missing in the middle of AMD's line up but, from what we've heard, there's nothing to plug that gap in the near future.

We're also not sure there's enough performance here to make EyeFinity a pleasurable experience on three 1,280 x 1,024 or 1,680 x 1,050 displays - at least where gaming is concerned - but the feature will be useful for anyone looking to create a huge desktop environment on a card that doesn't cost the earth. Having said that, the Radeon HD 5750 costs less and supports the same maximum resolution, so you could save yourself a few quid if all you're looking for is the ability to drive three 30in monitors from one graphics card.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2009/10/13/amd-ati-radeon-hd-5770-review/12

Like I said, great card for the money... I like BT though are not convinced it will be the best card for DX11 or eyefinity as Im just not confident it has the HP to push that many monitors or new DX11 games at any decent res (1680x1050 or above). The 5850 and 5870 however, I would do a lot of inapropriate things to get one of those!!! :)

@ Niko - terribly sorry man if you felt I poopooed on your purchase and thread. I notice too I have been saying that statement here and their and likely in some cases was just filler and not apprpriate. Cheers!

Last edited:

well yea, the power thing, it is costing me about $30 less for the same or a bit better performance and it should run cooler with the lower power. plus it'll be quieter with the cooler the one i ordered has.

my computers going green ina sence, a video card thats always on full tilt, a 125 watt dual core processor OCed like mad, i'm glad the peak power of my PSU is 850 watts (tested)

I have an xfx 5770. I love it, it's a shame you had problems with xfx in the past.

yea it is pretty sucky but if thats the way they want to do things then i'll shop else where, its not that their products are bad, i bought the 7900gt right when it came out (1st day it hit newegg) but crap happens

I thought there was heat issues or something? I could be wrong, which sounds like I am. haha

i dont know if its a heat problem but most of them do run hotter, bigger die and always on and all

so any way its on the truck, should be here any time and i am getting things ready to bench, i'm downl,oad and installing 3d marks,heaven, thinking about getting the dirt 2 demo since it has a bench in it, crysis demo and bench app?

that enough for people that want it?

i also figure i'll bench the system as is, pop the 5770 in and bench, OC the 5770 and bench, pop the 720BE OEM in return 5770 to stock and bench, oc them both and bench, install windows 7 run stock clocks and bench, oc both in win 7 and bench.
should take about a week

hate to double post but i thought i would say, 9600GT benching is over, no vantage for it since you can only run it once so i'll run it for the max OC everything Win7 run.

5770 is working well, ran the dirt 2 bench and it scored about even to the 9600 in DX 11 logged into wow and i was only getting 13 FPS, not right, turned Catalyst AI off and it doubled to 30 something....

then i realized some of them have the wrong bios flashed from the manufacturer, check GPUz and YEP 720 Shaders instead of the 800, some other obvious performance issues going on because i would imagine this should stomp a 9600gt a bit more than on par using DX11. thats for later today though i gotta get up early and go look for a new (to me) car.

i'll bios update the card then too

flash to asus bios, it should unlock those other shaders, but even w/o the shaders it should be beating a 9600 better than that.. i use a 5770 and i get 60fps in wow (though oddly i havent EVER seen it go higher from their interface)

whats so special about asus bios?

edit 2:22pm :

i flashed to correct factory bios, got my 80 shaders back, i ran dir2 bench again and its about equal to 9600 GT but mind you my 9600 was OCed, balls to the wall style with a stock cooler at 780/1870/1050(2100)

heres a pic of the benchmakrs of the 3 tests i have run (5770 correct bios, 5770 incorrect bios, 9600gt OCed)

mind you i didnt run the 9600GT at stock settings becuase i am seeing how much of an improvment i am getting from what i was currently running, mind you too that Catylist AI was enabled again when i ran these tests so that again should show some gains when i go for final results

so again OCed 9600 against stock stock 5770 Vapor X with AI on also running my 5200+ @ 3400Mhz / 1550HT still and not the 720BE yet which could (and is most likely) cause a bottleneck)

Attachments

• Dirt2test.jpg
    Dirt2test.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:
well its also running in DX11 mode on the 5770, DX10 mode on the 9600. i've also noticed i cant turn AA off on CCC so its running 2X AA at the same time (box mode) so it looks better (alot) top that off with AI being enabled and my noticing a 15+ increase in FPS...

its able to produce alot better quality while maintaining about equal frames.

one thing that bothers me about dirt is that no one benchmark runs the same, you could have an accident causing more effects in one bench and in the other just be a plain run with out contact...its werid but its also only one peliminary bench. i havent got every thing down

Well, keep us updated as I for one am interested as I am rocking a 8800GT. I play WM2 a decent amount and I play with 4x anti aliasing and everything on extra for detail and it seems fine. I was curious how big of an upgrade that card really as. I hear its supposed to be 2 times that of a 8800GT, but so far it doesnt show.

Back