• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Im going to host a CounterStrike Source server

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

{ace of spades}

Disabled
Hey all.

Basically my clan doesnt have a lot of money at the moment and im boarding so my rig is just sitting at home. At present, my rig is 3.2GHZ, 512MB, 120GB computer. My internet is rated as follows:

Communications 907.9 kilobits per second
Storage 110.8 kilobytes per second
1MB file download = 9.2 seconds

Do you think that this can provide a good gaming server? Ive read up about doing it and i think i shouldnt have a problem setting it up, i just dont want to do it if it will be slow and laggy. If you could give me your thoughts id really appreciate it!

James

Is your network speed your dedicated upload rate? 900Kb/s equals about 125KB/s, so if it's upload only that should be fine. If it's upload/download, you'll have some problems with anything over a 4-8 player server.

What do you mean, will the people other than the server be using the internet?

I did another test which might give you more information:

url]

mage_x said:
hosting a game server off of a normal connection is a bad idea.

Yea, I was looking in to one, I had a thread, but I decided its better to just rent one for about twenty bucks. The upload speed is what matters and yours isnt high enough, for a twenty person, also I think someone said the company doesnt want you hosting a server off them.

www.speakeasy.net gives good dsl tests.

Most CS or CS:S servers are based on uploads speeds, or rather most dedicated servers are based on uploads speeds as well. Your CPU and HDD is fine, and the 512MB of ram is good enough for 25 people or so, but then your upload speeds limit you back down to about 8-10 people. Try to look for all those HLDS tweaks where you can get the most out of your system.

Put someone as Admin and kick a few people if it starts lagging.

Back