• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'm in a pickle. (stoopid Vantec)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

UberBlue

Completely NUTS
Here's the low-down.

I'm at a point where my Asus A7N8X can't give me the Vcore I want without Vmods, so I went out and got an Abit NF7-S.

Here's the problem.
MVC-061F.JPG

The bottom plug is the power connector for my Vantec Stealth 550. The top plug is a standard ATX power plug.

As you can see the Vantec plug has four extra pins on the left side. I suspect they are the AUX 12V that are usually a seperate plug but have been incorporated into one plug. The NF7 requires the AUX 12V, but the plug isn't right next to the ATX plug on the motherboard.

So what I need is confirmation that the four extra pins are indeed the AUX 12V. If so, does anybody see any problem lopping off those four extra pins in one chunk so I can have my seperate AUX 12V plug?

Eh... I would email Vantec. You explination seems logical, but they are the ones with the plans... and stuff.

DOH!!! Never mind. Upon further investigation I remembered when I got it last year I clipped off the AUX 12v because "I'm never gonna need that".

Jeez I feel stupid.

Time to go dig through the parts box for a PSU to cannibalize for the AUX 12V...

So what the hell are those four extra pins for!

UberBlue said:
DOH!!! Never mind. Upon further investigation I remembered when I got it last year I clipped off the AUX 12v because "I'm never gonna need that".

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Well ya need it now... sure hope you saved the peice..

The Vantec is apparently an EPS 24pin power supply. There are adapters available to convert it to ATX pin outs. Rewiring would be the hard way around the problem. The AUX power connections on the EPS units are 8pins as well.

You're in a pickle? Sounds like a personal problem to me :D

Why would Vantec make that PSU non-standard? That seems slightly stupid, unless it was built for that application only, but it seems they would tell you that you're ordering a non-ATX psu... :eek:

It is not non-standard, it is just built ot a different standard (24-pin ATX, also known as EPS).

They include an adaptor, which is the top plug in the picture. I had assumed, since I'd never seen one, that boards that use the AUX 12V had the plug right next to the standard ATX plug. I had totaly forgoten that I cut off my AUX 12V and because I had forgotten, I saw those four extra pins and in a fit of flawed logic was convinced those four pins were the AUX 12V.

Made since to me...

Last edited:
Back