• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'm looking at an ASROCK or A8N-E

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

netnexus

Registered
Hey guys:

I am going to be getting an ASRock mobo (to keep my 6800GT). I am going to be putting in a 165 CCBWE 0546spwm, so hopefully I can hit 300HTT * 9 = 2.7 ghz.

But, I hear the ASROCKS won't go above 1.45 vcore, or 275 HTT.

So, I have the opportunity to trade with my GF: ASROCK + 6800GT for Asus A8N-E + x800gto2 unlocked @ xtpe speeds.

Will the A8N-E give me any more oc? I realise I can hit 1.55 vcore, but I am looking to get to at least 1.7 as i'll be putting this opty on water, and want to try and hit 2.8 ghz.

What would you guys do? These are my *only* two choiced. Keep the ASROCk or trade it for an A8N-E.

Thanks,

EDIT: I understand there are various mods that can be done to the ASRock mobo including giving it a new bios that will give me much more freedom in the OC area, but I am also trying to build the best gaming computer. The x800GTO2 my gf has is blazing fast, much more so than my 6800GT - and if I put it on water I am sure I can hit 600 on the core, giving me a card similar to a 7800GT @ stock w/o sm.3.0 support - which I don't really care about right now.

So, with that in mind, what would you do?

Last edited:

Dan0512

The A8N-E is not the best OCer but it should be better than the ASrock (it is also rock stable). Mine goes up to 294 HTT and max voltage of 1.55 (usually shows like 1.58 on CPU-Z and alike)....

Look at my sig for my max OC:..

rseven

If your GF is pretty enough I'd say do whatever she wants. If she's not then maybe you should trade GF's. :D (Sorry, just kidding. Can't resist a good straight line:))

OP
N

netnexus

Registered
So roll with the A8N-E? Aight, I'll give it a go. I'm looking to get my 165 at the very least to 2.6 ghz. With a multi of 9 that's an FSB of 288.8 - hopefully I can reach that. 2.7 is optimal as I can run a 133 divider with my ram clocked at 200 mhz - 300 HTT.

ochungry

rseven said:
If your GF is pretty enough I'd say do whatever she wants. If she's not then maybe you should trade GF's. :D (Sorry, just kidding. Can't resist a good straight line:))
hahah,
Rseven, how many glasses before all things feel funny :p

azu

lol extremely offtopic :D

i vote a8n e for its stability. and the asrock is funky. no backplate is what i hear.