• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'm NEW and Want to Built a Cooling System, + Need help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xCRF450

Hey guys, Im a new member here at the OCFORUMS. Anyways i'll start off by listing what i got in my system:

DFI LANPARTY 875P-T Motherboard
CORSAIR XMS PC3200 2x512mb
XFX Geforce 6800GT
Prescott LGA 775 Intel P4 3.0 Ghz

Well thats the main stuff, and nothing is overclocked, mainly because i dont know what and how, and i am not wanting to break anything because i am on a tight budget.

So anyways, i want to build a Water cooling kit, and after reading these forums i have compiled a list of componantes i was thinking of ALSO i would like it to be AS CHEAP AS POSSIBLE. like 200 or under, but i want to OC so anyways...

so far i got a
*DangerDen TDX BLOCK for 775
*Danger Den DD12V-D4 - I Would like to find a cheaper Pump, but i want an alright one so help me out.
*D-Tek Pro-120 Core and the Pro-120 Core Shroud- yet again i am a nub, so someone help me out with exactly how this all works but this is a fair price, i just know i need it.
*Danger Den Bay Reservoir High-Density Polyethylene - good price, looks good, let me know
ClearFLEX 60 Tubing 1/2" ID - OK for this, i kinda like the UV stuff, and this isnt, so i might like a link to some good uv stuff.

That is so far what i have compiled, and i need some coolant, some one help me out with that too, UV would be awesome. OK so there it is. After i build this system i would like some help with overclocking, so i am going to be needing a lot of help, prefferably over aim, my sn is xCRF450 so IM me because i am going to try to check this post as much as possible but i am not sure if i will fast enough. Thanks for all the help, i am very generous, so if someone goes far out of their way to help me alot i might paypal ya a few bucks who know. thanks again.

Also i read alot about thermal paste and how important it is, i have some stuff that came in a little plastic tube with my motherboard, and i assume it isnt that great, so i need some artic silver 5? let me know thanks... also where to get it, thanks guys.

- Adam

Last edited:
:welcome: to the forums!

You've compiled a good list of parts. One thing you still need is a radiator fan. For a heater core you will probably want a stronger fan in the 70+CFM rating. Instead of getting a reservoir you could save a few bucks by using a TLine instead. Distilled water and antifreeze are the preferred cooling fluids. It's easy to come by and does the job in terms of preventing corrosion and organic growth. If you want to do UV, Danger Den also has fluid for that. You would need a blacklight to make it glow if you don't already have one.

A cheaper pump you could consider would be the new Csystems Mag12 over at Dtek Customs' site, but it has not been reviewed yet. Looks promising but you might be taking a chance with it. The D4 is an excellent pump. If you wait a bit there's a new speed-adjustable one coming out that can be run more quietly.

AS5 is a good themal interface, but nothing would stop you from using Radio Shack white grease. There can be little to no difference in temps. But many people swear by AS (given the choice I'd get some).

I'd go with AS5 myself. I just find its easier to work with than other pastes because of its viscocity, and who can argue with it performance?

^^ agree

Very good list of components. The D4 is a great pump. The only "problem" with them is they have a mechcanical whien to them. However a new revision of the pump should be starting to be sold, the swiftech branding is the mcp655. This pump is nearly identical except it has better head pressure, virtually silent and is speed adjustable.

I would switch out the nozzles on the TDX for either the #4 or the #5 nozzle plate.

just to save you a couple bucks i would leave the reservoir out. just use a tline. not many cheap pumps available but the pump is quite important so i wouldn't skimp out. those new c-system pumps are quite weak i think which is why they try to sell them in pairs for multiblock loops. i would try to get the mcp655 if you can. it is fairly expensive but a very good investment. chances are that you will want to expand your wc setup at some point in the future and this pump can deal with anything extra you'd want to throw at it.

If you want to save a few bucks and you have a way to cut your case with like a dremmel or a saw, you can get a much cheaper A/C pump which performs as good as the D4s. Look into a Danner Mag 3 (also just called magdrive sometimes), or an Eheim 1250. These pumps run off of a regular A/C wall socket, so you have to cut out a little notch in your case to fit the chord out, but they're cheaper than the D/C ones :)

Also, let us know in general how much you are or would be willing to modify your case... Cause you can save a lot more by buying an automobile heatercore and modifying it to mount in your case. Requires a bunch of work though, so let us know if you feel comfortable modding your case.

I also agree to go with a T-line instead of a resevior to keep costs down.

Finally, dont be afraid to check out the stickies if you allready haven't, they've got a wealth of knowledge about setting up systems ;)

I talked to him quite a while last night on AIM, he's thinking of the Asus Vento or TT Shark case (I think the Shark would be much easier to get a Pro120 into).

Only problem with mag3s is that they need modding to get to work for H2O use, and if you want to turn off the pump when the machine turns off, you need a relay kit or DIY one. Eheims are nice though.....

I'm still relatively new to H20 myself, but the Aquaxtreme 50z from cooltechnica.com is an amazing little toy ;). Can't compare to others, but it is strong and damn near completely silent. A bit more expensive, but well worth the cost IMO.

Good luck!

The 50Z is a good pump, very close in performance to the D4. It wasn't silent to me while I had one, but I would consider it quiet.

Ok, so i might save up a few extra bucks and get the D4, and i guess i can get rid of the reservoir, what does the reservoir do anyways? And get a T line... What if i need to drain the system for some reason, with my setup, how do i do that without leaking onto anyof the expensive parts lol. I wouldn't be against a AC pump, i dont mind putting a small hole in the rear of my case simply for a power chord, i am almost definatly going to get the ASUS Vento 3600, unless i see a clear sided case for >150$ that knocks me of my feet. I dont feel up to modding a car heater core, just yet, so i think i am going to go with the DTEK Radiator. And so for the pump, Can i get some links to some cool AC ones prefferably around 50$. thanks, remember the cheaper the better. And i was also maybe thinking of picking up a GPU block sometime in the future so a pump that would run both would be best. Also what is the difference in Nozzles, and can i get some links?.

Thanks for the help guys. it is really helping me out A lot

OK, first off...stop thinking about what ur gonna buy. And start learning about watercooling itself, i promise doing this will help u in the long run, just take ur time, get comfortable, and knoweledgeable about WCing, once u build ur first WC loop, u'll be much more glad u did.

Here's an Eheim 1250 link, $65 bucks

Here's a link to a Mag 3 for $40 bucks. As mentioned before, Mag 3's tend to need some modding to make sure they're quiet and remain sealed. Most people put a thick bead of silicone glue around the inlet housing seal to keep the pump watertight as for some reason the O-ring tends to leak, especially when using antifreeze, water wetter, or soap in your lines.

Another popular cheaper pump is the Via Aqua 1300. Keep in mind, you get what you pay for for only $20 and they do require an impeller modification to keep quiet (dab of superglue to prevent rattling).

In general when choosing a pump you get what you pay for as far as performance and need of modding goes, so be careful and think about your choice a lot before you make it :)

Back