• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Im now getting linux

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wildbilly2k

hey i just got linux redhat 8.0 downloaded and burned to cds but to install it do i just boot from the first cd and make a partition in linux with the space i didnt use for the partition i just made for windows xp???

funnyperson1

before you do that i suggest you resize the XP partition, then create a new blank partition and let RH8 deal with that, because i dont completely trust RH8 to use the free space on the XP partition and make its own partition....

Titan386

You would want to have some unallocated space (not in a partition) on your hard drive. Red Hat will create the partitions it needs during the install. Don't bother creating a partition in the empty space before the install.

OP
wildbilly2k

wildbilly2k

yup did all that and im posting this from linux right now but i got a question about installing stuff like aim.

I installed it but where the **** did it go?

Titan386

Heh, I tend to have that problem a lot :)
Try typing the name of the program at a console and see if it loads up. A lot of the installers place the binary in some arcane place in your path. Usually if you read through the output of 'make install' you can find it.

Titan386

A program, you mean? Well, it depends on how it was installed. If installed in the .rpm format, do a rpm -e packagename on it. That should erase it. If you installed from tarball or source, you could try a 'make uninstall', from the source directory. The only other option I know of it manually deleting the binaries, which can be a very bad idea depending on what type of program it is. If anyone knows a better way, I'd like to know.

OP
wildbilly2k

wildbilly2k

im a major noob so i have to ask where is the command promot?
ooh and i updated linux and now when i go to where i select to boot to dos which is windows xp orlinux it show 2 diff linuxs?

Titan386

I'll assume your using KDE or GNOME. Near the bottom of the screen, there should be an icon named 'Console' or 'Terminal'. Click on that icon, and you should get a command promt.

Your update probably installed a new kernel. The old kernel image is still on your system, so the bootloader still has an entry for it. In case the new kernel didn't work, you would be able to use the old kernel instead. The two linux entries are the two kernels you have.