• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Im sorry everyone Im selling my A64 socket 754 system and mooving too....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CandymanCan

Disabled
Socket 939. Did you think i was going to Intel ? hehe, i didnt relize AMD was having a price drop if i did i wouldnt have gotten this 754 setup.

Well i mean i guess i helped alot of people with thier mobo choice cuss i now see alot of peeps going to the Epox route. The socket 939 3500+ is only $346 on Monarch, and the Abit AV8 K8T800 is $120, I am also ordering some ADATA PC4000 Duel channle Kit here soon, so i hope to have an even better pc. Hehe.

I have a friend who wants to buy my stuff for $280 . Does anyone know if the prices will go down more from ?$340 on the 939's or did monarch just jump the full gun early ?

Last edited:

Sa3atsky

You know I was thinking exactly the same thing when the prices dropped.. Why go 754 when you got 939?? Just 1 q: How overclockable are the 3500+'s?

OP
CandymanCan

CandymanCan

Disabled
I dunno but i guess just like the 754 newcastle's. All the 939 cpus are CG revisions thier is no luck of the draw like the 754's.

Right now i can buy the 3500+ and a MOBO thats $140 or less. As for the memory i mentioned itll take me a week or so to buy that. I wont ave duel channle but my Samsung should be fine until then.

I dunno what mobo to get im hearing mixed stoires about the AV8 K8T800 abit board, one review says the pci/agp locks work just fine one reviews says they dont. I do know tho the Abit board has voltage adjustments for everything. HTT, AGP, CPU, MEM, CHIPSET, and 2 other thing i forgot thier initails i think its like VRTT or VTT or something.

Does anyone know a board that been getting good reviews and is under $140

Im guessing Abit AV8 K8T800 doesnt have PCI/AGP locks and the Pro version does ?

Last edited:

Sa3atsky

Yeah, the version 1.1 is guaranteed to have the AGP\PCI locks so look for that.. As for the 3500+, it has a 1mb L2 cache right? or are there 2 versions? (eg: clawhammer\newcastle)

I'll look it up in hitechjb1's guide

OP
CandymanCan

CandymanCan

Disabled
No the 3500 and 3800 are both newcastles thier isn o clawhammer for S939, if you want 1mb of cache you need to buy the FX which is around $600 or more.

U sure 1.1 has the AGP/PCI locks. Do the Pro chipsets have the locks working ?

Well for now i may have sold the pc parts to my friend he hasnt giving me the money yet and he said itd be ok if i tell him never mind.

How much of a diff is the S939 with duel channle over the S754 ? Like does the extra mem bandwidth affect games or 3d apps ? Or is the duel channle a gimmick. Maybe im getting to premature over the price drops

I'll hold onto my A64 setup for now. Talking my friend on the phone he said its ok and he'll wait to see if i wanna sell or not later. I wish Gautam Or HitechJb1 was here ... hehe

Last edited:

gvblake22

Can you post a link to where you are getting that ADATA RAM. I had one in favorites but the link no longer works and I can't find it anywhere, THANKS!

Sa3atsky

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjI2LDU=
Okay look at this... The socket 754 3700+ beats the socket 939 3500+ in almost every benchmark.. Is it really worth getting the 939?? I mean, I can get a 3400+ 754, with 1mb L2 cache, and overclock the hell out of it.. That should get me more than the 3700+ range.. and only thing I'd have to sacrifice is the dual channel

939pin 3500+ vs 754pin 3400+
What do you guys think?

fateshammer

CandymanCan said:
Socket 939. Did you think i was going to Intel ? hehe,
For a moment there I thought you would. :clap:
Man, that was a very short love affair with your 754. If I remember correctly from reading the major reviews, the performance diff between S754-1Mb cache and S939-512K cache isn't really as significant as we all hope them to be in relevant apps . Well, whether you get the 3500+ or the 3800+ I'll be following your quest, good luck.

michaelkahl

I've heard that right now that dual channel makes up for the lose of 1mb of L2 Cache...but I've heard users say that their systems were just screaming and felt much better than their socket 754 counterparts???

OP
CandymanCan

CandymanCan

Disabled
Well for now i told my friend to hold up and wait. I think after talking with him and some other people i really jumped the gun ahead when i saw those prices.

Think of it like this.

Keep my system and buy the ADATA 2x512mb pc4000 mem for $238 and saved $300 which i can use towards a X800pro.

Or sell my system buy the S939 and the memory but the extra $300 will go toawrds just that and id be stuck with my 9700pro... Hehe

LOL ok i answerd it myself I'll stick with my "Love affair" with my pc, just buy the ADATA ram and later on save up $140 too add to the $300 extra i will have for the x800pro

Here is the link for the ADATA ram, it says hyper ram, but both the single and duel channle pc4000 stixks you can change the ram type from Hyperram to ADATA with the red heatspreaders. See on the bottom the bran type just change that to ADATA, pc4000 and up you can do this.

http://www.komusa.com/51ddrpc50hy.html

http://www.komusa.com/isr.html

Sa3atsky

michaelkahl said:
I've heard that right now that dual channel makes up for the lose of 1mb of L2 Cache...but I've heard users say that their systems were just screaming and felt much better than their socket 754 counterparts???

hmm I dunno man, I mean the Hardocp benchmarks just prove that dual channel is a lotta hype..maybe not with intel but definately with the Athlon64's.
Theoratically it shows a lotta promise, but in real world apps it fails to deliver

What other significant advantages does the 939 have over 754? (even motherboard-wise)

OP
CandymanCan

CandymanCan

Disabled
Nothing that i know off.. Well if the duel channle mem is to make up for the loss of 512k cache, then later i could always buy a 3200 Clawhammer. I never got the clawhammer i nthe first place cuss newegg and everywhere else is still saying AP at the end of the code, so i got the 3000AXBOXED newcastle, the AX means its a Cg revision

hitechjb1

Due to end of July 04 price drop in 754 and 939 CPU, updated this
Typical Overclocking Systems for 754, 939 (post 2)

Least expensive 754 for general purpose, games
2800+/3000+ 754 NewCastle (may be 3000+ ClawHammer) + board ~$250-300
3200+ NewCastle/ClawHammer + board ~ $350 (after july CPU price drop)

Least expensive 939 for video encoding/streaming, scientific computation
3500+ 939 + board ~$500 (after july CPU price drop)

For 939 motherboards, ....

hitechjb1 said:
Anandtech tested some Nforce3 Ultra and K8T800 Pro 939 boards,
including:
- ABIT AV8 939 (VIA K8T800 PRO)
- ECS KV2 Extreme 939 (VIA K8T800 PRO)
- Gigabyte K8NSNXP-939 (Nforce3 Ultra)
- MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum 939 (Nforce3 Ultra)
- MSI K8T Neo2 Platinum 939 (VIA K8T800 PRO)
The top three are:
- MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum 939 (Nforce3 Ultra) (1st)
- ABIT AV8 939 (VIA K8T800 PRO) (2nd, got 2nd because of better price)
- Gigabyte K8NSNXP-939 (Nforce3 Ultra) (almost 2nd)
http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2128&p=1
[Put both 939 Nforce3 Ultra and K8T800 Pro here since they came from same testing source].

A64 Nforce3 Motherboards (754, 939)

A64 K8T800 Pro Motherboards (754, 939)

Memory modules (for 754 and 939 platforms) (post 14)

Last edited:

Maxvla

CandymanCan said:
Well for now i told my friend to hold up and wait. I think after talking with him and some other people i really jumped the gun ahead when i saw those prices.

Think of it like this.

Keep my system and buy the ADATA 2x512mb pc4000 mem for $238 and saved $300 which i can use towards a X800pro.

Or sell my system buy the S939 and the memory but the extra $300 will go toawrds just that and id be stuck with my 9700pro... Hehe

LOL ok i answerd it myself I'll stick with my "Love affair" with my pc, just buy the ADATA ram and later on save up $140 too add to the $300 extra i will have for the x800pro

Here is the link for the ADATA ram, it says hyper ram, but both the single and duel channle pc4000 stixks you can change the ram type from Hyperram to ADATA with the red heatspreaders. See on the bottom the bran type just change that to ADATA, pc4000 and up you can do this.

http://www.komusa.com/51ddrpc50hy.html

http://www.komusa.com/isr.html
that ram is good stuff ;)

http://www.maxvla.com/host/komusa4200b.jpg

OP
CandymanCan

CandymanCan

Disabled
Yea if i get the mem score like you did on my S754 then the 7k or 6k id get with the S939 would be a waist of money. Man can some Smack me in the head with a baseball bat i feal stupide for making this thread now.

Btw that pic the memory timmings do you know if that was using the 1t timming. I really want 1t to work @ those high speeds

OP
CandymanCan

CandymanCan

Disabled
What do you not this one, the one i shows says Hyperram yes i know but on the bottom you can change it to the ADATA brand.

Or are you talking about something else ?

Does anyone know any other place that sells ADATA ram

Maxvla

CandymanCan said:
Yea if i get the mem score like you did on my S754 then the 7k or 6k id get with the S939 would be a waist of money. Man can some Smack me in the head with a baseball bat i feal stupide for making this thread now.

Btw that pic the memory timmings do you know if that was using the 1t timming. I really want 1t to work @ those high speeds
i don't really know. at the time i had it i didn't know how much 1t/2t affected performance. with the score its showing i'm thinking its 1t. 4600mb/s is pretty high given the timings even at 300mhz.