• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'm such an idiot!!...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fever

I've been trying to change the multi on my 1.2GHz T-Bird by opening and closing bridges... I set the multi from 12 to 10.5. I put the chip back in, boot up, and NOTHING. I tried redoing it 3 times, and still nothing. The screen won't even turn on. I'm getting nervous, so I try to set it back to x12 and hope the chip is still good. As I'm about to put the chip in, I see my RAM on the table. :rolleyes: I forgot to put it back in, so now I'm going to redo the 10.5 multi and see if it works.. WITH the RAM this time. ;)

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

NeoMoses

the next time you think you've fried te chip, make sure the comp is plugged in. That always gets me after making adjustments.:)

Tipycol

At least it was just the comp missing a piece and not anything getting damaged :)

NeoMoses said:
the next time you think you've fried te chip, make sure the comp is plugged in. That always gets me after making adjustments.:)

lol...you're not the only one ;)

OP
Fever

Fever

LOL! :D

Well, I really am an idiot now... I can't get the chip to post at all anymore. It worked for about 4 seconds after I put the RAM in, but then all the fans sped up and it turned off. :confused:

So far I've taken the HS off about 20 times, and I hear a little.... crushing sound. There seems to be a tiny scratch on the side of the core. :( I don't think that's why it won't work though, because my old XP 1800 had a chipped corner and worked fine. *sigh*

I hope I get this thing working. :(

AZN

AznSniper
doesnt sound good bro... but about the ram. when u didnt have ram in it, didnt u get a long beep sound?

AZN

SpaceRangerJoe

a friend of mine had that same problem with his epox board. it turned out his cpu fan speed sensing plug was bad. after we replaced that, it turned on fine. it would start the fans for 2 or 3 secs, then beep, and shut off.

quegyboe

I've done stuff like that before. Back when I was a noob with my Celeron 300a slot 1, I took the CPU out to change the HSF, and when I tried to put the CPU back in, I pushed it in until I heard a "click", which I thought, meant it was seated and in. So I tried powering up my system, and nothing happened. Well I was a noob back then, so I assumed that I fried my CPU when I took it out, so I decided to play with the CPU...you know....keep it as a display item. So I put it on my book shelf for about a week, and started to save money for a P2. Well when I went down to the comp store to buy the P2, they guy told me to bring the Celeron in to the store and he would test it for me. Turns out the thing worked fine, and I just didn't seat it in properly. Turns out that the CPU should click TWICE when it is seated properly. So I ended up saving all that money, waiting all that time for nothing! OMG, I felt so dumb, and I never touched my system again for like another 2 months....too scared I would break it again....LOL!!!