• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Im wondering....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xTrEmEoVrClOcKr

I have a Thermaltake Xaser lll V2000A and its a very solid constructed case. I wanted to cut a window at the top of my case and put 2-3 fans on top. Do you think this would mess up the construction of the case? What problems would I encounter? Thanks for the help!

phoenix111384

there shouldn't be any problems in cutting out a window. most of the strength in a case is in the frame itself, so you shouldn't worry too much. the only problem i can forsee is the placement of the fans itself. you may not have enough room to put two fans, depending on the size of your psu as well as the placement of your drives.

w00p

I have noe experience with Xasers, but AFAIK, if it has seperate side/top/side panels, the "skeleton" of the case (the edge where you connect two panels in a 90° config) is the stable point, all the rest are already pure bulk if you ask Ol' Mr Stability.

I wouldn't worry about a top window (unless, offcourse its either a huge hole, or an extremely heavy window) with a few fans.
If you use decent nuts and screws to attach the window, and effectively do attach the window quite nice and tight, nothing could go wrong...

If you're still sketchy about wether it'd hold, make a "bridge" in the middle of the window by simply not cutting out a strip of metal, making it 2 windows.
Then weld a flat piece of iron underneath the bridge and then, additionally, weld two other flat bars of iron underneath the bridge support iron, making the entire setup from beneath looking like an H (the flat strip in the H is the support bridge)

Another option aimed at stability is modding the "skeleton" and making the window material (plexiglass, lexan, ...) attach to the frame too.
After all, an acrylic case has acrylic attached to the frame too.

OP
X

xTrEmEoVrClOcKr

Heres the thing I had in mind. I want to put a window in the place of the black. Im not going to cut it that close to the edge but I hope that gives you an idea.

Attachments

• Thermaltake-Caes.jpg
    Thermaltake-Caes.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 96

phoenix111384

cutting out that area should be fine. and since you're putting plexiglass or whatever in, the strength of the case shouldn't be compromised by much

Pro*Banshee

are you kidding? Plexiglass to steel?

He'll be perfectly fine as long as he doesnt sit on it, or stack obscene ammounts on stuff on it *looks to computer holding up reciever*

phoenix111384

Pro*Banshee said:
are you kidding? Plexiglass to steel?

He'll be perfectly fine as long as he doesnt sit on it, or stack obscene ammounts on stuff on it *looks to computer holding up reciever*

keyphrase i said was "shouldn't be compromised by much". and like i said before, the frame is the strength of the case, not the panels.

and yes, do post pics if you can!