• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

imaging for a new hard drive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bigemike

ok, I have a 30gig 5400rpm drive that my os and apps are on. I want to install a raptor in its place. Anyways my os has been installed on this drive for over a year, things seem a little sluggish. It seems like defrag just doen't get it all cleaned up, or there is a big difference between this drive and my 80wd se in my other rig. Anyways I want to know how to change drives without loding anything on my current drive. I would like it to be as simple as pluggin the new drive in and running the image software, then unplug old drive, reset jumpers and go.

Also if my old drive is badly fragmented or whatever, will the new drive give me all the performance I should have. I really don't want to reinstall, but I do want that snappy feeling you get when you first install windows.

Thanks in advance and any help would be great.

My recomendation is Norton Ghost. But there are many good imaging programs out there.

Basically the steps are:
1. plug both drives into mobo
2. boot into norton ghost
3. Choose drive to image from and to
4. wait or take short nap
5. unplug old drive (turn system off before hand :))
6. reboot

Make sure the new drive is bigger than the old drive, or same size.

Drive Image

Drive Image can do the same as what norton ghost do and it's easy to use also. You can find lot of options in there that you can play with your image. If you need a basic cheap imaging software then nero 6 is aslo having it.

Back