• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Imaging SSD to a New Computer- Different OS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Viper69

The computer in my sig file is my current build. However, I have a new, computer. It runs Windows 11 (we'll see I need to start it up!), and the storage is different. In my mATX below, I have a small Intel SSD (120Gig) for my OS, and all the rest is on my Samsung SSD, programs and files. The new rig doesn't have the same storage technology either. It has a 1TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2 PCIe Gen 4 NVMe SSD, and a 1TB Samsung 870 QVO SSD for secondary storage.

What is the best way to transfer the the information from my old rig to the new, modern rig I have now- if that's possible? They are completely different OS, so other than transferring common data files, like music, videos, Office files, I do not think this is possible?

Thanks in advance.

What OS are you currently on?

Why not image your current OS and restore it on the new hardware? Then upgrade to W11...

What OS are you currently on?

Why not image your current OS and restore it on the new hardware? Then upgrade to W11...
New rig is Win11 Pro

Old Win7 Pro

I thought of that, new rig has Win11 pre installed. Didn’t think of transferring data at the time of order hah.

What does this mean? :)
Ah, sorry! Meaning I didn’t think of the fact that 2 computers would have different OS, different drive technology etc in regards to moving files over. I’ve only had one PC at a time. Only needed to image a drive and restore files etc back to the same drive the image was made from 😃

I’ve done something kind of similar to a degree, but not really.

Clone the drive to whatever new drive and pop it in as-is to the new rig. Upgrade to windows 11.

I’ve moved my current install I think twice, from an Intel to AMD rig and not once did a complete reinstall. The initial boot too a while for things to figure themselves out but it‘s been rock stable. At this point it’s too much of a PITA to do a clean install, but I may soon just to keep things interesting.

Other than applications, all my real files are on separate storage so it’s a little easier in that respect.

Last edited:
Back