• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Improving my PC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tgrimm94

Hello all, I want to start getting into nodding my computer for fun and also improving my gameplay. I got started gaming at 8 y/o with final fantasy 11 and at 9 (2004) world of warcraft came out I spent most the next 10 years playing games on PC.
That being said my grandfather (deceased now) always built my computers and I never learned anything about performance. I literally just logged on and played for 10 hours a day.

I picked up my PC as an open box return from Bestbuy for 750$ ( I think it was a good deal) (device info in screen shot ). That being said I'm planning on upgrading from 144 hz monitor to 240 and would like to see what else I need to keep my computer at 240 framerates while I play fortnite. I also would like to add water cooling mostly because it sounds cool.

I would like some recommendations on upgrades to be made!
How much money do you guys think I need to bring my system from where it as now to run 240 fps consistently ( I play lowest settings for performance but wouldnt mind upping the because the quality is god awful).

Thanks and sorry for the long post, been wanting to do this for a while and I'm excited!

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

If it matters the brand is Omen

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200424-113915_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200424-113915_Gallery.jpg
    411 KB · Views: 95
Can you tell us more about your system components?

What video card are you running or are you just using the CPU integrated graphics (IGP)?

How many watts is the power supply (PSU)?

The only things we know right now from the info you have given us is that you have a fairly strong CPU and enough memory to play games efficiently. We need to know more.

Do you have a budget for upgrades?

If nothing else, just give us the make and model of the computer itself and we can go from there as long as you haven't made any upgrades.

Last edited:
Im trying to find the computer I have on bestbuys website... I cant go off price because as I mentioned mine was an open box return. I have no idea about video cards ect.. not sure how to even tell what I have.

Id like to spend 500 or less on the upgrades if at all possible but I really have no idea.
Thanks for the help should be able to post what I have in a few minutes once I find out.

:welcome: to the forums, Tgrimm.
Tell us about your video card. You can get that info by downloading GPUz. Also, what is the resolution of your current Septre monitor, 1920x1080p?

Okay I found a product number.

p.s. im planning only 500 for PC upgrades as im already planning on purchasing a 240 hz monitor. Correct me if im wrong but theres no point in upgrading PC if the monitor is to slow ?

Yes 1920x 1080 downloading the thing you sent now.

Pic from the download you sent me

Attachments

• omen info.jpg
    omen info.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 83
  • GPU pic 3.gif
    GPU pic 3.gif
    19.8 KB · Views: 77
  • GPU pic 2.gif
    GPU pic 2.gif
    19.1 KB · Views: 77
  • GPU pic.gif
    GPU pic.gif
    27.7 KB · Views: 77
This is it: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06330185

The video card is an Nvidia GTX 1660 Ti

The most important thing besides the monitor is to upgrade the video card: https://www.amazon.com/ZOTAC-Graphi...=GTX+2070&qid=1587745772&s=electronics&sr=1-7

But we would need to know if your power supply is capable of handling the extra load. Please take the side off the computer case and check the specs on the side of the power supply or just take a pic of the label and attach it. The powers supply is a silver box inside the case. The power cored from the wall plugs into it.

Another question we need to know is what resolution you intend to run the fortnite game at? 1080P? 4k? I assume you are going for a 4k monitor but not sure.

Power supply image.

regarding resolution. I intend to run whatever is going to give me MAX fps for performance. Im gonna assume its the lowest settings for all (which I currently play on).

Do you guys think its even worth keeping this computer to reach the 240 fps consistently? Is the single video card upgrade going to cut it? it almost seems like I wouldn't need a 240 monitor even with the 2070 super you recommended. Here is a random website I found comparing fortnite fps on the two different video cards. video card comparisons. .png

Attachments

• power supply pic.jpg
    power supply pic.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 71
Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.logicalincrements.com/games/build-pc-fortnite-battle-royale

"Fortnite does have good CPU utilisation, with the load being spread reasonably well across multiple cores. But it does lean a little more on the GPU performance for most of its PVE and PVP visuals, with CPU load only increasing in heavy moments of combat. As such, you could probably get away with a slightly lower-performing CPU, so long as your GPU is up to the task . . . Thanks to Fortnite's art style, you do not need something monstrous here to run the game on lower settings, while still allowing more powerful rigs to really make the most out of the game's visuals.

For Epic settings at 1080p with 60+ FPS, we recommend a GTX 1050 Ti.

For Epic settings at 1440p with 60+ FPS, we recommend a GTX 1060 6GB or RX 580.

For Epic settings at 4K with 60+ FPS, we recommend a GTX 1070 Ti.

Those of you (like myself) with a GTX 1070 can potentially hit stable 4K with 60+ FPS; however, the results vary from model to model due to overclock limitations on cooling. For example, my own performance with a standard dual fan (launch 1070 model) in Battle Royale bounced anywhere from 40-65 FPS depending on what was happening onscreen at the time. Because of the uncertainty, we have gone with the GTX 1070 Ti to guarantee frame rates.

Thanks to Fortnite's art style, you do not need something monstrous here to run the game on lower settings, while still allowing more powerful rigs to really make the most out of the game's visuals.

For Epic settings at 1080p with 60+ FPS, we recommend a GTX 1050 Ti.

For Epic settings at 1440p with 60+ FPS, we recommend a GTX 1060 6GB or RX 580.

For Epic settings at 4K with 60+ FPS, we recommend a GTX 1070 Ti.

Those of you (like myself) with a GTX 1070 can potentially hit stable 4K with 60+ FPS; however, the results vary from model to model due to overclock limitations on cooling. For example, my own performance with a standard dual fan (launch 1070 model) in Battle Royale bounced anywhere from 40-65 FPS depending on what was happening onscreen at the time. Because of the uncertainty, we have gone with the GTX 1070 Ti to guarantee frame rates." (Note: This was the recommendation for 4k video.)

For 2k video: "For Epic settings at 1440p with 60+ FPS, we recommend a GTX 1060 6GB or RX 580." Your current video card is better than either of these cards.

For 1080p video: "For Epic settings at 1080p with 60+ FPS, we recommend a GTX 1050 Ti." Your current video card is way better than a 1050Ti.

I think you would be happy with 144mhz refresh rate monitor at 1080p resolution. From the above linked article, it sounds like your existing video care will give you good frame rates at that resolution.

It seems to me your first upgrade should be to get a decent 1080p 144mhz "Gsync certified" monitor and see how the game plays before you invest in a new video card.

Tell us about your current monitor. What is the make and model? It may be the only real bottleneck in your system as it is.

Also, read this: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/20...c-vs-g-sync-compatible-what-you-need-to-know/ There is a difference between "Gsync compatible" "Gsync Certified".

Last edited:
To the above post. I have a 144hz Free sync monitor. is freesync the same as this gsync your speaking of

To the above post. I have a 144hz Free sync monitor. is freesync the same as this gsync your speaking of

No! I edited my post and added some. Pay particular attention to the link I added at the bottom. Read that article.

Thanks so much for helping me out by the way !
Here is my exact monitor (I was finishing up nursing school when I purchased so I did skimp lol Monitor type.png

Yes, so it's likely that the real issue is you are using an Nvidia video card on a monitor that is not Gsync certified. I think your best, cheapest and most reasonable option is to replace that Nvidia GTX 1660 with an AMD 5600 XT: https://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-112...+5600+XT&qid=1587753003&s=electronics&sr=1-14

The 5600Xt will give you slightly better framerates with a Freesync monitor (which you have now) than the GTX 1660 Ti on a Gsync certified monitor and should give you much better performance than running a 1660 Ti on a an freesync monitor.

Ideally, I would recommend the 5700XT but I'm afraid you may run into problems with the PSU being inadequate for the extra power draw.

Do you think my computer has enough juice to take advantage of the 240 hz if i where to opt in purchasing a 240 hz Gsync monitor or stick with the option you recommended.

I don't know but I think you will be very happy with 144 hz. 240 hz is pro gamer territory. I guess you could try it but that monitor you have may not actually be up to that 240 refresh rate it advertises. If you try to actually run it at that you may be disappointed. There has got to be a downside to a $200 144 hz monitor somewhere. Maybe others can chime in who are dedicated gamers, which I'm not, who can speak more specifically.

I would also add that I think the 5600XT will be a good performance match for your i7 9700 CPU.

Last edited:
Yes, so it's likely that the real issue is you are using an Nvidia video card on a monitor that is not Gsync certified. I think your best, cheapest and most reasonable option is to replace that Nvidia GTX 1660 with an AMD 5600 XT: https://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-112...+5600+XT&qid=1587753003&s=electronics&sr=1-14

The 5600Xt will give you slightly better framerates with a Freesync monitor (which you have now) than the GTX 1660 Ti on a Gsync certified monitor and should give you much better performance than running a 1660 Ti on a an freesync monitor.

Ideally, I would recommend the 5700XT but I'm afraid you may run into problems with the PSU being inadequate for the extra power draw.

Before doing that, I would update the GeForce driver & try to enable Freesync in your current monitor. Many Freesync monitors work with nvidia graphic cards. From Trent's post above, the 1060 Ti should run pretty good at 1080p.

Do you think my computer has enough juice to take advantage of the 240 hz if i where to opt in purchasing a 240 hz Gsync monitor or stick with the option you recommended.

What FPS are you reaching now? I agree you should try to enable g-sync as well. We can determine if you're currently CPU or GPU limited as well, but I doubt many CPUs will hit 240. More importantly, you're playing an online game and I'm guessing at some point the latency of your connection is going to have a lot more to do with your experience than the difference between 144Hz and 240Hz.

Before doing that, I would update the GeForce driver & try to enable Freesync in your current monitor. Many Freesync monitors work with nvidia graphic cards. From Trent's post above, the 1060 Ti should run pretty good at 1080p.

Did you mean to say, "try to enable G-sync" in your current monitor"? Not trying to be picky but this can get confusing.

Thanks for chiming in Z and JLK. No sense in him spending money when he doesn't have to or when new parts isn't addressing the main issue.

Tgrimm94, run an internet speed test and get back to us with the results with an attached pic. This is a very popular internet speed test: https://www.speedtest.net/. This would help answer the question of our internet connection being the bottleneck.

Also, here is a list of "G-sync compatible" monitors. Probably not a complete list but look for yours. If you don't find it in the list, contact Sceptre for a definitive answer.

Attachments

• G-sync compatible.png
    G-sync compatible.png
    42.6 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
No, I meant Freesync, his monitor doesn't have G-sync. Freesync can be enabled on monitors using nvidia cards provided you have a new enough graphic card, the right driver and a display port cable.
Pretty sure it doesn't work in the other direction though. I don't think G-sync can be enabled with an AMD video card.

No, I meant Freesync, his monitor doesn't have G-sync. Freesync can be enabled on monitors using nvidia cards provided you have a new enough graphic card, the right driver and a display port cable.
Pretty sure it doesn't work in the other direction though. I don't think G-sync can be enabled with an AMD video card.

The terminology is confusing. Why does Freesync need to be enabled on a monitor that is natively Freesync? Isn't it the Nvidia GPU that needs to be enabled to use the Freesync monitor?

Now we're really splitting hairs, but for the sake of clarity: G-Sync is proprietary hardware driven technology that only works with nVidia products and adds a substantial cost (proprietary hardware and testing) to the monitor. Freesync is a free software implementation of the VESA standard adaptive sync that does not require proprietary hardware to support, so many more monitors have this ability. G-Sync compatible is a testing program where nVidia certifies monitors without the G-Sync hardware to work with their products using the adaptive sync / freesync protocols. Drivers can be forced to enable this mode even if the display isn't on the list of those passed by nVidia.

While I don't have the driver in front of me to say for sure, I believe the option would be called G-sync in the driver. While not technically accurate as discussed above, I believe the option a user would look for would be labeled "g-sync" or "g-sync compatible" and advising someone to "enable freesync" would lead them to search for a setting that does not exist. Of course if the GPU was AMD then "freesync" would be the option :)

Back