• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

In Light of the Ipod schemes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hamspiced

I read and heard that Directly from Apple's website they will be selling a new line of Ipods that are about 100 bucks cheaper and have a stronger battery. They will still be about 40 gigs but 100 bucks cheaper.

I dont know apple's website or have the time to search it but im sure you guys would be much more interested then i am.

Yeah, I'm actually getting one (it will be here Wednesday). FedEx initially lost my original 3rd Gen 20 GB and since they stopped making them and they had to send me a replacment, they sent a 40 GB 4th gen iPod because they are the same value. Also, the new iPods come with the USB cable for free and only the 40 GB model comes with the dock.

www.apple.com is apple's website BTW.....

http://www.apple.com/ipod/

Apple Website said:
Incorporating the fabulous Apple Click Wheel that was first introduced on iPod mini. Offering up to 12 hours of battery life. Weighing in at just 5.6 ounces. And getting slightly thinner with each new generation. iPod continues to define the perfect digital music player for Mac and Windows. You can now purchase a 20GB iPod for $299. Or a 40GB iPod for $399.

I have one...heh, its really nice.
:attn:

Matt

Attachments

• ipod.jpg
    ipod.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 481
My dad got one yesterday for his birthday. I must say teh wheel feels kind of cheep compared to the beautiful one on the 3rd gen, I really like the looks of the 3rd gen more too, but they added a few nifty features that are cool and the thing is quite a bit thinner then my 15gb 3rd gen.

i really disliked the 4 separated buttons on the third generation. i thought it went too far astray from the original. i think the click wheel looks sweet, but i am skeptical about the 12hour battery. i have heard some places that it is pretty much just a firmware update that saves on the battery life. i am looking forward to reading the power users review at ipodlounge.com and i am really thinking about getting a 40gb (or waiting to get a 60gb, they are coming, but it is just a matter of time)

btw, since this is in the cyber deals section, if you are a student, you can get $30 off ipods from the apple store by going through the education link http://www.apple.com/education/store/ and i think right now, engraving on the ipod is FREE!

also, im guessing the third generation ipods will drop a lot in price, since now you can get a 20gb 4g for $299 and 40gb 4g for $399 and the 4g is barely thinner than the 3g, so your only missing out on the battery life and click wheel pretty much

I still dont get the rave about them.... they are just mp3 players right? Please someone fill me in why they are so cool

Oh yeah, the duke thing is super cool

:)

madcow235 said:
My dad got one yesterday for his birthday. I must say teh wheel feels kind of cheep compared to the beautiful one on the 3rd gen, I really like the looks of the 3rd gen more too, but they added a few nifty features that are cool and the thing is quite a bit thinner then my 15gb 3rd gen.

How loud is the clicking on the wheel? I'm debating whether to get a 3g or 4g, and if the 4g's clicking is audible in an environment like the library, I'd probably go w/ the 3g.

I'm thinking that's a great deal on an Ipod Mini--$229. Stores can't keep them in stock at $249! I'm loving working for a higer ed institution. Just got hooked up with an upgrade to XP pro and Office XP Pro through my school's faculty/staff licensing program for $25 per license (that's $50 for both). Can't wait for my licenses to arrive!

Another deal is to buy at amazon and get a 50dollar gift card so you really "pay" 300 but get another 50 in stuff and shipping is free. Tax is excluded in some states too.

amazon=300-50giftcard=250
student=269+tax 10=279ish depends on state
store=299+15=314

all prices for 20gig 4th gen

If they stoped makeing the 3gen iPods, then the warranty i bought from best buy when i bought my 15gig iPod(3 months ago) there will replace mine with a 4thgen Ipod? If my current iPod "happens" to break?

i think it might, and you would get the 20gb, too. but i think best buy might catch onto you... they must have some policy to prevent this abuse of the extended warranty. maybe they have a bunch of extra 3rd generation ipods that they would use.

i like my third gen 15 gb iPod but it scratches SO easily, so i bought like a plstic gel case and its great excpet the buttons are kinda hard to push with it, so those new scorll wheel buttons would be really handy. But the battery is rubbish. Mine last 7-8 hours but if i put it on the charger and wait till it says chartged then take it off the battery guage still says empty, so i guess its really the battery guage that is junk.

Could someone explain what is so great about the Ipod? Is it just a fashion thing or are these actually that much better than any other mp3 player?

for some reason many find the thing much better looking than the other players. I have to agree with that :D. but it is also a very good mp3 player. I have no idea why no other company has quite caught up. I think iRiver has put out some pretty nice stuff though.

Back