• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

in raid but not in raid HDD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

t3x

here's my story, I have a pair of SSD's set up in RAID 0. I have several HDD's as a storage drives not in raid. I recently bought a new MOBO/CPU/RAM. After reformatting the SSD's and loading windows, one of my HDD's wasn't showing up. I looked in the disk management and it said it was un-allocated (or something like that I forget. I looked in the raid set up section when booting and it says the HDD is not in RAID. When I look in the BIOS under the hard disk section that one HDD says it is set up as RAID :|.

Is there a way to make the BIOS figure out that it is not set up as a RAID drive with out losing all the information that is on there? Thanks for any help!

my current specs:
ASUS Maximums V extreme
intel i7 3770k
XFX HD6950 GPU
G.SKILL Trident X Series
samsung 840 series ssd's
(the not raid but raid HDD is a WD)
ABS Majesty series 1.1KW PSU
All stock settings right now.

Do you have the old system to see if that shows it correctly? Did you try another port or disk controller (if it has another)? A CMOS reset may be annoying, but something to try if you don't have another system.

If you go into the RAID configuration screen, see if there is something set for that drive that shouldn't. I know it says it isn't in RAID, but I've seen on board RAID controllers be more stupid than that.

There is probably a way to recover the data, but I would personally place it in a system that can read it normally, copy the data over to the new system, put the drive back in the new system, format it, and put all the data back on it. The time it takes to find a solution is going to be far longer than doing it "the hard way".

Have you tried turning it off an on again?...
Joking, have you tried moving it to another SATA port (If there's one spare)?

haha i love that show!

Do you have the old system to see if that shows it correctly? Did you try another port or disk controller (if it has another)? A CMOS reset may be annoying, but something to try if you don't have another system.

If you go into the RAID configuration screen, see if there is something set for that drive that shouldn't. I know it says it isn't in RAID, but I've seen on board RAID controllers be more stupid than that.

There is probably a way to recover the data, but I would personally place it in a system that can read it normally, copy the data over to the new system, put the drive back in the new system, format it, and put all the data back on it. The time it takes to find a solution is going to be far longer than doing it "the hard way".

I set up my old system. It does not show like a normal HDD. I tried several different sata ports on both MB, no effect. I don't have any other disk controllers. I did a CMOS reset on the old and the new mobo, no change.

I went into the RAID config screen, on the first mobo there was no option to set it back to normal or anything else without formatting it.

I tried to install the drive into my roommates computer (not a raid set up) and it still shows up as un-allocated RAID drive. He tried to use a HDD data recovery tool, I forget the name, with no luck.

I was dumb and had that drive connected when I installed the new mobo and was setting up the RAID for my SSD's and installing windows. I've heard that RAID controllers can be dumb sometimes and screw things up and I am starting to think that is was happened.

Any thoughts / suggestions?

Have you fixed it yet?
Good news is that the data is all still there but the allocation tables may be in limbo.
Have you tried to change it to raid or IDE in the bios?
Just how is it setup? You have a raid and other drives as well on the same controller?
Do only the raid0 drives show up as raid? Can it be moved and added as an IDE or AHCI on the second controller?
Have you tried setting it up as a single raid drive? Have had this be necessary before on other controllers but I have never used an Intel. It seems like SI controllers work this way, you just create an array with a that e drive and it might read it, just don't let it erase or format it.
I glanced at your manual and it looks like there are two controllers with four ports each, is this correct? where were the drives connected when you set it up(all of them)?

I gave up. I gave the drive to some one else to extract the data with some other hdd tools. I was able to get most of it off. thanks for all the efforts put in from everyone, i appreciate it.

Back