• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

In search of the perfect pump...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
im getting a danner mag 500gph. 51$ shipped from petsmart. 500 gph should suffice cause ill be adding chipset and video blocks in a month or so after the initial setup
-Malakai

oh, im sure its bigger than "petite" but its quiet and in-line, so no added heat and it doesnt need to be in my case right now. Ill fit it in there, i got a server case.
i dont think it'll fit comfortably into a standard midtower though
-Malakai

tcl said:

So, two things.
The maxijets come with a bunch of bits that help you hook them up to your aquarium filter and inject air, etc. However, these bits are all separate from the pump and don't need to be used.

Differnt models of the pumps can be purchased with or without these extra bits; those with them are called "powerheads" and those w/o "pumps." FOr reasons i don' t unserstand, certain ratings are only available for one or the other.

Anyway, my mj 900 ("powerhead") manual states that the pump needs to be partially submersed but i think they are just trying to say that when it's in an aquarium and thus not attached to hoses, the end sucking water does (gee) need to be in the water.

I have seen aquarium retailers state that they do not need to be submerged.
There is little difference between a powerhead and a pump. The power heads that say they need to be partially submerged should be to cool them; by not doing this it shortens their life span. They need the cooling of the water (and this is normally one of the small diferences.) The hose that comes off a powerhead is to inject air not let it escape. Most power heads come with a plug to block off the fitting for the hose but don't do a good job, if you use a power head for your rig use a little silicone to fill that fitting. I've found that the retailers that say you don't need to submerge these at all are looking for return business as I have burnt one by letting the water get to low.
I know some of you have seen some of my posts about pumps before and I don't mean to sound like I know everything about these but I have had over 15yrs of experience with them between salt water aquariums and watercooling my rig.

Roger24 said:
I sent an email to a Zoo webshop and got the exact dimensions of the Maxijet pumps:
Width: 50mm - Lenght: 83mm - Height: 68mm
I'm wondering if I should go inline instead, since it won't be easy to find a resevoir that will fit, and the Maxijet fits perfectly between my soundcard and the case lid. I'm just wondering how air escapes out of the top of that bleeding hose? Does it need to? It's sealed at the top, right? Will running it inline decrease the reliability and/or life expectancy of the pump?

Are all of the Maxi-Jets this size? I know that most pumps have a size directly proportional to their flowrate.

How loud is it exactly Dodge? I was thinking about getting a DannerMag but since you brought this up, Im reconsidering. Did you even turn the thing on or was it just something that you read?

Running the pump in water will definately make the pump last longer because those pump put out a lot of heat. But it will also add heat to the water. I myself put a fan infront of the pump to keep it cool. The stuff that come with the Maxi-jet are very useful. For example the pump come with this mount that you can use to mount it to the case. The inlet and outlet also fit the plastic barb from Home depot perfectly. I love this pump, it small, well made and it is cheap. If you don't believe me go to a pet store and look at one. But don't get it there cause they will charge you more, get it online.

The Danner fits my size requirements, but I am bothered that the box says it has NPT thread nipples. What I found it has 1- ½ NPT thread (outlet) and 1- ¾” plastic barb. (inlet). In my book you would have to reduce the inlet to fit ½” tubing. I am after a clean looking setup without the troubles of reducing to make fit. I thought of machining a ½” x 3/8” brass nipple to epoxy into the inlet but have passed on this. This is leaving the door open for failure if it were to become unattached.

As for the pump sound after placing the pump in a closed loop system its quiet.

I bought the Danner at a local PetsMart and they honored the Internet price of $51.66, but I think I am going to return it.

mustangman said:

There is little difference between a powerhead and a pump. The power heads that say they need to be partially submerged should be to cool them; by not doing this it shortens their life span. They need the cooling of the water (and this is normally one of the small diferences.) The hose that comes off a powerhead is to inject air not let it escape. Most power heads come with a plug to block off the fitting for the hose but don't do a good job, if you use a power head for your rig use a little silicone to fill that fitting. I've found that the retailers that say you don't need to submerge these at all are looking for return business as I have burnt one by letting the water get to low.
I know some of you have seen some of my posts about pumps before and I don't mean to sound like I know everything about these but I have had over 15yrs of experience with them between salt water aquariums and watercooling my rig.

I realize i wasn't too clear.
1) There is no hole on the maxijets that need to be plugged up as the air injector is an attachment that does not need to be attached... the bit of pipe with the hole is not part of the pump.
2) I am not sure but i think that other than the inclusion or exclusion of the accessories, there is no real difference between the maxijet pump and the maxijet powerheads - but am not sure on this. I know i have seen it written that the pumps can be used in line and believe i've seen it written that the pwer heads can as well but not sure on the latter.

pumps

I got a rio 1100 at an aquarium shop recently. I asked if they carried maxi-jets and they said, "no. We don't because they constantly need to have the impeller replaced. The only thing from maxi-jet we carry are the impellers and we sell quite a few of those." Weird. I don't have an opinion on pumps cuz I've never owned any before now. Guess they were maybe BS'ing me cuz the Maxi-jets wouldn't turn as much profit for them.

possably, it may also depend on what type of liquid u are puting through your pump. I bet all the crap from the fish could really wear out a pump.

I am planning on getting a MaxiJet 1200.

mx-6* said:
Is it that small?

I've heard that bilge pumps will quit working after a while because they aren't made for 24/7 duty.

Who ever started that is a idiot. MIne was only supposed to last 1 month. I think it has been running now for 1.5 months. I see no reason for it to quit. I am pretty sure it is a sealed mag drive.

I am thinking that 12v pumps don't put out the heat like 120v. I could be wrong though. My water stays around 4 deg. C.

Avalanche said:
overclockershideout has a real nice one that pushes 500

SIZE!, SIZE!!! cmon guys, im looking for a small pump that will fit in the small space that i have shown. Yes i have looked at the one at overclockers-hideout, and i like it alot, but it is too big.

Its okay, this Thread is a month old now, and now i know what I am going to get: Maxi1200

I am going to do my best to leave enough room in my case so I could ad one of those pumps from overclockers-hideout, or a Eheim pump, if i really needed more flowrate in the future, but for now i believe the maxi will fit the purpose best. Thanks for all the help guys.:)

rite now im adapting my pump for 1/2in hose, with a hosebarb, and 1/2 hose will fit over the outlet clamped... pretty good...

Back