• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

In the need for speeeed.. (i7 920 + P6T)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

infected_

help in getting higher oc (i7 920 + P6T)

hi guys. just did a upgrade to my pc 4 days ago. Here are my specs now:

i7 920 D0 (batch 3851A220, runs default speed (stable) at 1.0v in bios)
Asus P6T bios 0603
Gskill 3x1GB 1333mhz NQ (temporary, OCZ "Animal" 3x2GB coming this week)
Asus GTX295
Silverstone OP1000W
Noctua NH-U12P (sckt 775, push-pull)
Antec 1200 (7x120,1x200)
2x WD3200AAKS (Raid 0) + F1 1TB

Ok. As soon i putted vista up and running, i was starting ocing the i7, but thing are a little different from the core 2 i was used to... didn't seem like an obstacle, so i started reading about ocing the i7's... this last weekend i started playing with it, ended up with this for now:

idle
i74ghzidle.jpg

loaded
i74ghzloaded.jpg

10x linx ok
i74ghzlinx.jpg

The settings i used:

AI Overclock tuner: Manual
CPU Ratio Setting: 20
Intel (R) SpeedStep (TM) Tech: Disabled
Intel (R) Turbo Mode Tech: Disabled
BLCK Frequency: 200
PCIE Frequency: 100
DRAM Frequency: 1200
UCLK Frequency: Auto
QPI Link Data Rate: Auto

DRAM Timing Control: Auto

CPU Voltage: 1.30000
CPU PLL Voltage: 1.84
QPI/DRAM Core Voltage: 1.23750
IOH Voltage: 1.10
IOH PCIE Voltage: 1.50
ICH Voltage: 1.10
ICH PCIE Voltage: 1.50
DRAM Bus Voltage: 1.50
DRAM DATA REF Voltage on CHA: Auto
DRAM DATA REF Voltage on CHB: Auto
DRAM DATA REF Voltage on CHC: Auto

Load Line Calibration: Enabled
CPU Differential Amplitude: Auto
CPU Clock Skew: Auto
CPU Spread Spectrum: Disabled
IOH Clock Skew : Auto
PCIE Spread Spectrum: Disabled

Advanced CPU Settings

CPU Ratio Setting: 20
C1E Suppport: Disabled
Hardware Prefetcher: Enabled
Adjacent Cache Line Prefetch: Enabled
Intel® Virtualization Tech: Disabled
CPU TM Function: Enabled
Execute Disable Bit: Disabled
Intel (R) HT Techology: Enabled
Active Processor Cores: All

Well... I think the vcore is a little high, and i cant get past 200*20... Been messing with vcore and qpi voltage but no luck...

Anyone with similar system that can help? I will appreciate all tips/hints/pointers you guys can help me since this is my first time with a i7 system and i only know a few basics things about them...

Thanks,

infected_

Ps: The ambient temperature when the screens were, was about 28ºC, but in the room my pc is, is even hotter...

Last edited:
Hell, 4ghz isn't exactly a small overclock, i'd say things are going pretty well personally. From what i've read you're doing better then a decent number of people that can't even reach 4ghz, let alone more.

Is the ram actually running at the 1200mhz, or is that just the strap for 133mhz bclk?

memorys is running at 1200 (600*2).. i dont want to push then because they are borrowed.

but i would like to push the cpu more... i know its possible, i just dont know which thing does what above the 200*20 for stabilizing, only QPIv and maybe ich (sbv?), i dont know what ioh does and it must help the oc....

So any help is welcome so i can speed up the cpu :)

Thanks

Last edited:
First question, where did you find any OCZ Animal in stock pls? I do see you are across the Pacific from me though and I only heard of MWave here in the states having them but they don't show up when I search their site still.

Have you explored using Turbo? I'm not sure what settings but there are ways to enable it permanently so its always on giving you a 21x CPU instead of 20. Some have reported having easier clocking with odd CPU multi's.

Your QPI/DRAMis your vtt voltage and it will probably need some more juice to get you any farther. It needs to rise for 3 things in my research. 1 - BCLK 2- higher ram speeds 3 - tighter ram timings

ICH voltage and IOH voltage often need small tweaks for higher OCs also after 4.0 on both my C0 and D0. I believe ICH is analogous to qpi/vtt for you but am not 100% on that.

With a 6x memory multi your ram wont be OCd until you break the 222wall anyways which requires some other steps to even do.

You may need more vCore also. After 4.2 my D0 needs nearly as much juice as my C0. It only takes less for lower settings for the most part so far but I haven't had much time to really push my D0 like I did with my C0 yet.

I would say to bump your dimm voltage to 1.65 too though. The memory alone may not need it but I have found that it does have an effect on overall stability. Plus, there is a sweet spot sometimes in the difference between vtt(QPI/dram for you) and vdimm besides the maxim of keeping it within .5 volts of each other.

Good luck and have fun.

I had to order then, in a shop in lisbon, portugal. they take a week to come, the shop name is GlobalData, but they dont have the memorys in their page..
What do mean by "ICH is analogous to qpi/vtt" i dindt understood, my english is a bit rusty..
my vdimm voltage is at 1.5v that is what they do at 1333mhz..

Thanks

First off, I apologize for a the typo. I meant to type in qpi/pll and not qpi/vtt. I will come back to this in a moment.

OCZ animal is reported to like 1.65vdimm best, no more, no less. It scales very well from what I have read. According to OCZRyder(an ocz rep on a forum) it's basically highly binned ram sold at DDR3 1333 speed. I have seen users with very very high clocks on it and want a set to torture myself.

Most mobo's have this infuriating habit of naming the same functions differently. As a user of multiple boards I cross reference by what the default settings are.

CPU/pll defaults at 1.80 and that one is usually named correctly. There are 2 voltages that default at 1.10v to my knowledge. One being the IOH core and the other being QPI/pll voltage but they are often named other things. Your Asus is a prime example of this as they name cpu/vtt as qpi/dram instead. They are the same thing with different names. If you read about someone else adjust their VTT setting that means QPI/Dram for you for example.

I apologize for the typo and commend you for even knowing another language. I'm horrible with the one I know.....much less any others

ill gess ill have to wait untill they come, the ocz animal, so i can properlly try to oc... until then, im stuck with these gskill..

"QPI/DRAM Core Voltage: 1.23750"
I kept my QPI/vtt, or QPI/DRAM (asus name), around the same as my Vcore when oclocking. Try closer to 1.3v. Made it easier to get stable and could possibly allow you to reduce the Vcore. Especially if you were stable at 1.0v stock (if the power saving options were enabled that could have been the down clocked voltage).

"DRAM Bus Voltage: 1.50"
I 2nd that most people, including me, use 1.64v/1.65v/1.66v (not all mobo's list 1.65v).
I don't know about your ram though. My OCZ plat is rated for 1.65v.

Remember to keep the Uncore at 2x(RamMulti) and with 200 bclk drop the QPI to x36.

Shouldnt Turbo mode work? I heard that the P6T usually arent good with allowing high BCLK, especially on 20x multiplier. With turbo, you can use 21x multiplier and lower BCLK.

no luck, yet... im starting over, from 133 bclock and 1.0v vcore. i will be raising the bclock and stress it with large-ffts until it breaks before the 5 minutes. 220 bclock (with low multi) is imposssible, i get all kind of stability issues using 220 bclock, 219 is ok.

I have a 920 C0 stepping on an ASUS P6T. Any advice on these settings??

The settings i used:

AI Overclock tuner: Manual
CPU Ratio Setting: Auto
Intel (R) SpeedStep (TM) Tech: Enabled
Intel (R) Turbo Mode Tech: Enabled
BLCK Frequency: 200
PCIE Frequency: 100
DRAM Frequency: DDR3-1603
UCLK Frequency: 3208
QPI Link Data Rate: 7218

DRAM Timing Control: 8, 8, 8, 24, 2t

CPU Voltage: 1.5
CPU PLL Voltage: 1.96
QPI/DRAM Core Voltage: 1.35
IOH Voltage: 1.3
IOH PCIE Voltage: Auto
ICH Voltage: 1.10
ICH PCIE Voltage: Auto
DRAM Bus Voltage: 1.66

Load Line Calibration: Disabled
CPU Differential Amplitude: 1000
CPU Clock Skew: Auto
CPU Spread Spectrum: Disabled
IOH Clock Skew : Auto
PCIE Spread Spectrum: Disabled

Advanced CPU Settings

CPU Ratio Setting: Auto
C1E Suppport: Disabled
Hardware Prefetcher: Enabled
Adjacent Cache Line Prefetch: Enabled
Intel® Virtualization Tech: Disabled
CPU TM Function: Disabled
Execute Disable Bit: Enabled
Intel (R) HT Techology: Disabled
Active Processor Cores: All
C-State: Disabled

Last edited:
Lizard6172 thats kind of rude, no? and i wouldnt put 1.5 vcore in my chip even if he was on WC....

Ok, guys, got new results... been able to get it stable (triple-checked) at 190*21, here are the sttings i used:

vcore 1.25000
qpiv 1.22500
cpu pll 1.86
ioh 1.1
ich 1.2
cpu amp 800mv

but 200*21 its getting really hard to stabilize... :-/

got it stable once at that speed with the following:

vcore 1.33125
qpiv 1.31875
cpu pll 1.86
ioh 1.14
ich 1.20
cpu amp 800mv
cpu skew 300ps
ioh skew 300ps

but then i rebooted, run the test again and it didnt passed :eh?:

can someone help me, please?

thanks,

infected_

You should try to push it past the 200 bclk to say 210 and above and see what you get. My 920 hates the x20 multi and has a few "holes" in the bclk that it refuses to get stable with.

Try 1.355v QPI, and go up as high as 1.4v (maybe more if your temps are straight) on the core. Also, enable Load Line Calibration if you haven't already (cleans up the power abit me thinks, well it helped me out anyway lol) If it is stable at that voltage on the core, either bump it up if your temps are good and see where the ceiling is, or drop the voltage on the core till it becomes unstable and then bump it up one notch. Do all this without turbo on and check your temps often during linx.

BTW, 4ghz with HT enabled is nothing to sneeze at my friend lol. Good work so far, keep it up. Those D0s are beasts and I know that that chip has more in it.

QPI/vtt seems to be very important at high clocks because the bclk is upping the memory/uncore/qpi at the same time. Need more juice in the "NorthBridge"

For my D0 @ 21x195 stable
qpi/vtt 1.36
cpu vcore 1.3125(bios) 1.28(cpuz)
dram 1.66
cpu/pll 1.86
IOH core 1.16
ICH core 1.16 (or 1.14 i'd have to check).

Watch the temps though. Looks like you have a low vcore high temp D0.

i already got 2 semi stable (passed once, rebooted and didnt passed) results at 195*21 with these settings:

vcore: 1.28750
qpiv: 1.25625
cpu pll: 1.84
ioh: 1.10
ich: 1.20

and;

vcore: 1.28750
qpiv: 1.24375
cpu pll: 1.86
ioh: 1.10

going to try messing with the qpiv a little more.

temps4200noite.jpg

man, i think i got it stable at 200*21 !! already rebooted twice to double check. here's what ive'd used:

vcore: 1.33750
qpiv: 1.33125
cpu pll: 1.96
ioh: 1.16
cpu amp: +800mv

gonna do more testing but i think i got it. btw those temps were taken with linx with the above settings. :)

Back