• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

increase performance ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well you are generally limited by your connection, not the OS. Windows 2000 natively connects at the fastest speed possible.

Do a couple things so we can help...

First what is your DSL service description? 640? 768? etc...

Second go to http://www.dslreports.com/stest and do the bandwidth test and tell us what you are getting. You will need to pick a server. Do it a couple of times and shoot for an average. Throughput is limited by heavy congestion. So, run the test once during primetime, once mid-morning on like a Tuesday and post the results...

What speed are you paying for? If you don't know contact your DSL Provider. It should be something like 640 kbps, 768 kpbs etc..

WOW, would I love to have 1.5 mbps!! How slow are you going??? You should be loading in seconds!! My cable modem takes max 5 seconds per page!

The maximum speed I got was about 175KB/s (about 1.5Mbps), while downloading from Microsoft (Internet Explorer), but I usually get in the 100-120 KB/s when on a good server (like OC !)

Pretty slow is when my sister is downloading stuff on the other comp (p2p file-sharing program that runs as long as the comp is on :rolleyes: ), so I wanted to max out the modem, so we can both get some pretty decent down-/upload rates

Well, if your sharing the conection and both the systems are using badwidth at the same time, then there is no way to increase your speed..other than not using both systems at the same time.

I saw your last post where you stated that you were reaching your designated speed, your lucky to even reach what they advertise, considering overhead...( tcp overhead...PPPoe overhead ) and if your getting that kind of speed, be very HAPPY..:D

I had DSL and with as many tweaks I could make, I in no way came near the advertised speed, it was fast, but only maxed out about 75% of the "advertised" speed of the line.

Again, if your sharing the bandwidth between 2 systems, your not going to see any where near the speed you want, unless you use one system at a time....or limit your sis's bandwidth..heh heh ( which wouldn't be nice now would it?..heh heh )

PsycoPhreak said:
Again, if your sharing the bandwidth between 2 systems, your not going to see any where near the speed you want, unless you use one system at a time....or limit your sis's bandwidth..heh heh ( which wouldn't be nice now would it?..heh heh )

How can I do this ??? :D I need to know !!! She spilled Coke on my comp today, I want a payback !

LOL....aww geez...is a payback really worth it?..LOL

You can limit or 'criple" the other systems connection by dropping the MTU to almost nothing and adjusting the RWIN down to a small value...heh heh...it works for me when my ol' lady p***es me off and I want to "limit" her ability to suck up my bandwidth when she goes online to play a game...heh heh...she'll only get like 6.2kbps throughput while i'm blasting away maxing out my 2500kbps connection ( it's Roadrunner...sue me )...LOL

BUT anyway, thats not a nice thing to do...:D

( yeah...like I should be preaching...heh heh )

Well, to make it easier, I put a link to a program called "DrTcp"...makes adjusting MTU and RWIN simple...

Just so you know, the MTU can not be set lower then 576....the RWIN...i'm not sure what the minimal setting is...( i've set my ol' ladies down to 10, but didn't notice anything happen, but when I set it to 200..from the usual 33750 i run, thats when she gets all mad because she has to wait for stuff to DL..LOL ) but I know dropping both these values on the machine you want to "slow down" will indeed cut down on the throughput to that system...works every time here...:D

ahhh crap....sorry about the link...it was suposed to be the "Drtcp"....glad you found it though...

I can't believe I forgot to put it in....LOL...sorry...:eh?:

Back