• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Increasing flow without buying a new pump

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Illah

Would less tubing help? I can think of a way to shave two, maybe three feet off my current setup. Other than that I can't think of anything. Would this even help much?

Any suggestions welcome.

--Illah

i just finished another setup of a friend. the system has a flow meter on it. ive had to move some stuff around in there and i noticed 2 things. the flow increases a little bit when there is less tubing. the flow increases ALOT when there arnt so many up-and-downs or 90 degree turns.

just some things i noticed

Well, cutting off the excess tubing will elimate a few turns, so I guess I'm on the right track :)

Thing is I'm on a bong so the ups and downs can't be helped.

--Illah

Heheheh, I just cut off about 18-20" and in the process eliminated like three turns. Now it's just straight up like 3' and then into the comp (which is pretty streamlined) and out, then up into the showerhead area. I don't have a flowmeter but there is noticably more flow. Even my girlfriend noticed and she hasn't been nitpicking at it for days like me :)

Any other tricks?

--Illah

1. smooth bends rather than 90 degreee elbows
2. Use "Y" adapters rather than "T" adapters.
3. Use 1/2" tubing rather than 3/8" tubing.

All of those should give you a slightly better flow rate.

She tolerates alot. I just got a spiffy dot.com job as *get this* a video game testing and analysis guy, so she realizes that my hobby isn't just pouring money down the drain. My nerdism pays off at last!

And my bong is really quiet, I spent alot of time planning this thing. I compensate for evaporation, noise, and looks (no nasty PVC pipe in my house). One of these days I'll get around to making pics.

It's funny, I'm a film student goof into computers and she's a fashion major (with the looks to go along with it :) ). I bet some of her fashion cats wonder what the hell she's doing with me.

Back on topic, I got no sharp turns, I do use 1/2", and I have no need for wyes or tees. I shortened up and whatnot also. I guess I'm as good as I can get for now. Thanks guys!

--Illah

Danner 3 and the updated Z4 CPU block (not the old crappy spiral thing) and the Z4 GPU block.

I just put it together and it's still being tweaked. Right now I'm getting 34-35C with seti. XP-1600 @ 1886 MHz 1.8v. I need to vmod to go higher vcore, but I'm too lazy.

How much would higher airflow help? Right now I got a ~35 CFM fan, but I'm thinking of changing out to a higher CFM one. I got a 20 gallon res so evaporation isn't too much of a concern. Would a 7v Delta 68 CFM-er help much?

--Illah

with my bong i used a 125 cfm 120mm fan, i always ran it at 7v because it was pretty loud on 12v, when i did switch it to 12v i left it there, temps dropped enough to be worth the noise, give it a shot. i think the 125cfm was way overkill, the delta you mentioned would probably do just fine.

temps are kinda high for a bong man...

how far is the water falling, how well is the water being particlized (real word?) on the way down? u try using plastic scrubs to put into the pipe for it to hit on the way down...

excessive cfms isn't necc unless something is technically wrong with your bong setup

Yeah, I'm thinking of the 68 CFMer now.

The water falls about a foot before hitting the sides of the bong. It then rides the sides down another three feet. Some of the water is in freefall the whole way, but not all. This lends the setup a nice trinkling rain-on-the-windowsill sound. it's a four foot setup.

My AS3 hasn't fully settled either. Should lose a degree or so there in the next day or two.

If anything is a problem with it I think it might be flow. I'm not sure what I'm getting but it's not all that high, hence this post.

These temps do seem high for a bong though, but I just built the thing. Given time to tweak it I'm sure I can trick a few more degrees out of it. I don't wanna drastically change anything right now. It's quiet, good looking (wait till I get around to pics :) ), and it flows in my room.

--Illah

Yeah, the 68 CFM was shooting a fine mist out the top. It did drop the temp to 32C load though, but I don't want a puddle around the sucker whenever I use the machine. Plus it was just loud enough to get to the annoying zone.

Back to the 35 CFMer it was at 34 load now, I think I saw it touch 35 once. the AS3 is probably settling in, I love that stuff.

--Illah

are you running the blocks in series? most of the time it restircts TONS of flow, but sometimes itll kill performance when you run in parallel

Congrats on your setup!

Most plastic T's decrease flow... if you want to increase flow, get a copper T from Home Depot or something, as they are less restrictive (if any).

Also, I'd *really* like to see pictures. :)

Yeah I got em in series. I heard parallel kills flow? I guess there's no getting around it.

I'm pretty sure my bong can handle more CFM without the mist shooting out, there is NOTHING at 35 CFM. What kind of CFM do you think a 7v 68 CFMer would get? More or less than 35?

I could always 7v my Vantec Tornado :) Thing is once I build up another machine soon I'm gonna need it to cool the other.

--Illah

you could just hook up that 68cfm fan to a rheostat, and turn it slowly down till there is no spray out the top. This way you get the top CFM without spray, and it'll somewhat silence the fan.

no it wouldnt work, anything at radioshack wouldnt work unless you made this little circut that i made, its worth the time if you know how. and running in parallel will only slow the flow thru each block, and itll increase total flow, maby give it a shot if you can, maby youll like it

Back