• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Increasing primary partition size win7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Drinkyoghurt

I've been trying to figure this out all day, what it comes down to is: My win7 installation partition is full(I have just 40 MB left). I've tried to increase it's size by using free space from the partition next to it, which has 280GB of free space, but there's one thing which is not letting me. When I use acronis disk manager it says: "can't resize partition with bad blocks", though I know that the partition is just fine(because windows' disk manager can resize it just fine). I can't enlarge the partition size with windows' own tool, because the new partition it creates is not next to the partition I want to enlarge. This issue has got me pretty frustrated here, because with this little partition space my windows installation fails to do a lot of stuff(buffering video's, opening pics etc. ) .

So I was wondering, is there a way to enlarge my primary partition?

The picture below shows how the partitions are situated

diskspaces.jpg

SamSaveMax

Couldn't you just Resize Function to enlarge C partition...which would takes some space from E with that software?
If it does...it probably takes a while for it to resizes...do not interupt while in progress.
If you have 4GB of ram...delete the PAGEFILE to free yourself some space.
Run Disk Cleanup & clean up System Restore and Shadow Copies as well.

Is that D partition an OS? It is not an ideal place to be for an OS at the end of the drive....which results endless hard spinning while in use.

My config:
aetf6s.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Drinkyoghurt

Drinkyoghurt

I tried that, but it said "cannot resize partition with bad blocks", referring to the E:/ partition. I know for a fact that it is not bad, because last time it did the exact same thing, though I don't know how I solved it then.

OP
Drinkyoghurt

Drinkyoghurt

well. I'm getting pretty tired of this. I cleaned up about 3GB of stuff about 2 weeks ago, didn't install anything on my C:\ drive and for some reason I again have only 30mb or so left :confused:

really, what's going on, why is windows hogging so much space?

redduc900

Inactive Moderator
Use a tool such as Windows Directory Statistics from...

http://windirstat.info/

... to help you find what's using up all of the space on your HDD. Then delete all but the most recent Restore points like Sam suggested (Disk Cleanup--> Clean up system files--> More Options tab--> System Restore and Shadow Copies, and either disable ('Turn off system protection') or specify a smaller size for System Restore...

How to Change Windows 7 System Restore (System Protection) Disk Space Usage Size Limit
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/...ystem-protection-disk-space-usage-size-limit/

4GHZ_or_bust

Now 6GHz or Bust!
Chances are it's hidden into System Volume Information. If you deleted everything and don't need anything left on that HD, you should consider reformatting it to clear old system files that are hidden by default. Unless it's the first drive BIOS starts with (boot drive).

SteveLord

You allowed only 30GB for Windows?

Are you serious? I wouldn't allow less than 40GB for a Windows XP install.

Rich'[ard]

You allowed only 30GB for Windows?

Are you serious? I wouldn't allow less than 40GB for a Windows XP install.
i'm rocking on a 30gb partition for win7 i isntalled yesterday. it's been the same for my XP and Vista install.
there's about 10gb free space after the installation, and all i put is program files. none of my files get put on the OS partition.

drinkyoghurt do you have all the hidden folders unhidden?

OP
Drinkyoghurt

Drinkyoghurt

Use a tool such as Windows Directory Statistics from...

http://windirstat.info/

... to help you find what's using up all of the space on your HDD. Then delete all but the most recent Restore points like Sam suggested (Disk Cleanup--> Clean up system files--> More Options tab--> System Restore and Shadow Copies, and either disable ('Turn off system protection') or specify a smaller size for System Restore...

How to Change Windows 7 System Restore (System Protection) Disk Space Usage Size Limit
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/...ystem-protection-disk-space-usage-size-limit/

I had that disabled before, because it was hogging up a lot of space, so that wasn't it

Chances are it's hidden into System Volume Information. If you deleted everything and don't need anything left on that HD, you should consider reformatting it to clear old system files that are hidden by default. Unless it's the first drive BIOS starts with (boot drive).

Yeah, it was all hidden in hidden folders, a lot of it was cache and temp files, and a 1GB file of windows search indexer. Cleaned it up and now I have 3GB remaining :).

i'm rocking on a 30gb partition for win7 i isntalled yesterday. it's been the same for my XP and Vista install.
there's about 10gb free space after the installation, and all i put is program files. none of my files get put on the OS partition.

drinkyoghurt do you have all the hidden folders unhidden?

No I didn't, that's why I found it odd that my "C:\users\" folder had 3GB of space used, but when I went to find and delete it I couldn't find anything large enough.

Psykoikonov

If you don't use the hibernate feature open a command prompt with admin privileges then type powercfg -h off <enter>. After that right mouse click system drive->properties->disk cleanup->cleanup system files->more options->cleanup system restore->delete->ok->delete files (should net ~2GB). Also move page (swap) file off of system drive if possible. Another bit a space (maybe a few hundred meg) you can recover is win update downloads ->system drive->windows->software distibution->download. These files and folders are just the downloads used to install the updates, all are removable without consequence.

Alternately what I would do is create an image using something like Arconis True Image (free from some drive manufacturers, very simple to use) then backup data on second partition. Temporarily reinstall 7 resizing both partitions in the process. Restore image and put data back on second partition, problem solved.

Last edited:
OP
Drinkyoghurt

Drinkyoghurt

If you don't use the hibernate feature open a command prompt with admin privileges then type powercfg -h off <enter>. After that right mouse click system drive->properties->disk cleanup->cleanup system files->more options->cleanup system restore->delete->ok->delete files (should net ~2GB). Also move page (swap) file off of system drive if possible. Another bit a space (maybe a few hundred meg) you can recover is win update downloads ->system drive->windows->software distibution->download. These files and folders are just the downloads used to install the updates, all are removable without consequence.

Alternately what I would do is create an image using something like Arconis True Image (free from some drive manufacturers, very simple to use) then backup data on second partition. Temporarily reinstall 7 resizing both partitions in the process. Restore image and put data back on second partition, problem solved.

Well, your first solution helped me clear up ~3GB of space, the download folder however was empty. I'll give the acronis thing a try. Thanks a lot:clap:

curtis1552

Couple other things, resizing a partition can affect the structure of the filesystem, which basically looses all the data on the broken partition.

Generally you need 'free' space to enlarge a partition, especially since shrinking a partition is much more dangerous to stored files than enlarging one.

So, first backup all your important information on the partitions you're affecting. Then try the resizing stuff.

I'm also a little different, Once i have the inof on the data partition backed up i'd delete it. Then use a Gparted LiveCD to enlarge the partition. Create a new DATA partition and then once booted back to a regular OS I'd copy the data back.