• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Infinineon RAM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheFrag

Infineon RAM

Is anybody using this? I have it and I wanna get an Nforce2, but I dont know if it will be able to handle high FSBs. How high is yours running? I dont really care how crappy the setting have to be for a high FSB.

:edit: I meant Infineon RAM. Can a MOD fix this? :edit:

OP
TheFrag

TheFrag

no, im using it righ now, its ddr. Well, I bought 'nanya" ram, but all the chips are stamped Infineon.

FIZZ3

Infineon is a quality memory chip maker. It depends on more than the chip itself and it's specs how high your particular sticks will clock, but the chips are not of poor quality. Mushkin used to feature their chips on their high-end ram.

OC-Master

TheFrag said:
no, im using it righ now, its ddr. Well, I bought 'nanya" ram, but all the chips are stamped Infineon.

LOL

So essentially,

You Got Nanya Infenion Ram with Micron Chips hence Infenion is Micron, just a Sub-Division.

larva

Inactive Moderator
Infineon is the new name for the Siemens semiconductor division. This is a German company that makes quality products. I believe they have a joint venture with Nanya to build DDR modules.

Crucial is a subsidiary of Micron. You will find absolutely no Crucial modules with anything but Micron chips. The only reason the company exists is to give Micron a retail outlet to help bolster profits beyond what is found in the wholesale sector that semiconductor manufacturers operate.

In the sdr sdram day Infineon was the best stuff out there, clearly superior to Micron. I haven't used any of the Siemens or Siemens/Nanya ddr modules though. But since you already have them you might just try them and see how they work out. Variables specific to your situation determine what kind of overclock you are going to get, and you are the only one with that particular situation available.

OC-Master

larva said:
Infineon is the new name for the Siemens semiconductor division. This is a German company that makes quality products. I believe they have a joint venture with Nanya to build DDR modules.

Crucial is a subsidiary of Micron. You will find absolutely no Crucial modules with anything but Micron chips. The only reason the company exists is to give Micron a retail outlet to help bolster profits beyond what is found in the wholesale sector that semiconductor manufacturers operate.

In the sdr sdram day Infineon was the best stuff out there, clearly superior to Micron. I haven't used any of the Siemens or Siemens/Nanya ddr modules though. But since you already have them you might just try them and see how they work out. Variables specific to your situation determine what kind of overclock you are going to get, and you are the only one with that particular situation available.

Come on,

you just had to steal all the things I was about to just type. :) j/k :) What you said was exactly what I was gonna say, great info bro.

OC-Master

larva

Inactive Moderator
Glad to be of service :)

Infineon was and is top quality, I know that they are capable of building the best ram available if there is any money in it. Times are tough for DRAM manufacturers though, so they may not be in a financial position to dominate their rivals as they once did. But nonetheless, if I already had some of their DDR I would surely give it every opportunity to distinguish itself before I would commit to buying another manufacturer's product. Myself I have developed a strong preference for Kingston Value Ram PC2700, as it runs 432MHz at cas 2 on only 2.7V in my machine, and is cheap. In the past I would have told you value ram is junk (the SDR stuff was), but this is a whole new ballgame. There really is no judging ram without testing the stick in question.

CrystalMethod

Senior Band Wagon Jumper
OC-Master said:

Come on,

you just had to steal all the things I was about to just type. :) j/k :) What you said was exactly what I was gonna say, great info bro.

OC-Master

I was about to mention the same things. :D Good job on clearing that up for some folks Larva.

eXtraktor

I have no experience with the ram itself but one of my friends has a 512mb stick of Infineon DDR ram and its rated at 7ns instead of 7.5ns like almost if not all PC2100. I found it weird at first but now i think im gonna ask him to trade for my 2 sticks of Micron (he doesnt overclock) and see how high i can get it.

OC-Master

eXtraktor said:
I have no experience with the ram itself but one of my friends has a 512mb stick of Infineon DDR ram and its rated at 7ns instead of 7.5ns like almost if not all PC2100. I found it weird at first but now i think im gonna ask him to trade for my 2 sticks of Micron (he doesnt overclock) and see how high i can get it.

PC2100 7ns memory is the good stuff. The only difference between the 7.5ns and 7ns really at stock speeds is that the 7ns memory can run at CL2 with aggressive timings where as the 7.5ns is just slow!

OC-Master

OP
TheFrag

TheFrag

here is another question. There was a sticker on it that said "PC2100----VOid if removed **Omega Symbol**" sooooooooooo...........................being the curiouse guy i was, i peeled it off. Under that was a sticker saying "PC2700---Void if removed **Omega Symbol**" WTF is up wit dat?