• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Info & Tips >> Using the AMD FX Bulldozer/Piledriver...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Still doing this so I can find what I wrote...

...wrote and not have to do it so many times.

Little debate about using C-Type fans which in 99% of all situations will not cool as well as a Tower type cooler. Tests just about everywhere can show that previous statement to be true. Probably even more so than that, I believe such statement is true and why what I am writing about is the VidEdit configuration that I put together Oct of 2014 but also called it the build of Unfulfilled Expectations because I was in a hurry and was not going to spend more money for air cooling when I wanted WATER. Hehehe.

Well I have tweaked and piddled and keep the fans and fins blown out and it is cool right now still so I started some more testing as I am going to go water here soon but I need to do some Video Editting and want stable and no lost files or time. So I did this little writeup since someone said there were hardly any "blow-down" aKa C-Type cpu coolers anymore. Well there are at least three that I found but they are very pricey. Almost three times the price of the CM 212 EVO cooler. Anyway what I have managed is out-lined below.

Noctua NH-C14 blows down.

Phanteks PH-TC14CS, a single tower C-Type blows down.

Grand Kama Cross 2 by Scythe blows downward.

Now all three of those coolers above would likely cool better than the 7 year old EnzoTech Ultra-X C-Type cooler I am using. But that Ultra-X had been unused in a box since I bought it for another system that went water cooling. So rather than buy another air cooler since I plan to go water on this rig...I just tried the EnzoTech Ultra-X to see what it might do. This build was originally titled Unfulfilled Expectations since I was very doubtful of the cooling and still am since that FX-8350 likes to do 4.8Ghz and edits the P out of my videos at that speed.

But we have to pick our battles in order to not win a battle and loose the war. I am very familiar with this FX-8350. I have it in an Asus CHV-Z board that has a great VRM circuit in it. The heat sinks on the board are good. I have a case that points a 'side mounted' fan right into my C-Type cooler. Good fan drawing air out the rear of the case. And I also only have a 7770 ATI video card in the PCI-e slot and it does not run hot. Plus we are not into full on summer yet here in Mississauna.

It is very likely that if I lose any of those points above as battles...then my 4.7 or 4.65Ghz are likely a lost war. I did not ask anybody what the outcome of what I was trying was going to be. No need to since I had already laughed that the build was titled "unfulfilled expectations" and was prepared to really have to throttle back the cpu speed. Over the course of about 3.5 months of tweaking and trying I managed to get the CPU_NB to stay stable with less volts = Less heat. Adjusted Cpu Vcore and tested many times to get down to that 1.404 you see.

So the 4.7Ghz war was won by winning many smaller battles any of those battles can have lost me the war. And summer will rein in some of my cpu speed or I need to get lead out and go water and then will likely need fan on VRMs. Just the facts as they usually happen.

Annotated pics below should fill in the "rest of the story".

RGone...

C-Type cooler currently in use.
EnzoTech_Ultra-X Cooler.jpeg

My good fortune to have side mounted fan blowing nearly straight at my C-Type cooler.
SideCase.jpg

Some HWMonitor Free with CPUz CPU Tab. Plus OCCT running about 20Mins for effect.
4.7ghz mar2015a.jpeg

AS in anything computer and overclock related > YMMV and I still think "if" I was going to spend any money on an air cooler for a cpu cooler it would be tower style as they seem to outdo almost any type C-Type cooler.

RGone...Again.

THIS is the long version with Pictures...

...How to attach files/images/etc to the forum. This is for the current forum version and not an older forum version.

I think (make that hope) the images tell the story.

RGone...

NOW if you want to link a user to this 'how-to', you can use the URL shown below.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...r-Piledriver?p=7812026&viewfull=1#post7812026

EDIT:
Blaylock brings up another method a few posts below that has stong merit if only attaching a pic and a pic not REused from another post. That said from this location you can attach whatever the forum allows to be attached and n0t only images.

Thanks Blaylock.
END EDIT.

1.jpeg

2.jpeg

3.jpeg

4.jpeg

5.jpeg

6.jpeg

Last edited:
I find it easier to use the img icon a few spaces from the add hyperlink. It seems to have less steps involved. I'd have to count the steps to be sure, but simpler in any case. JMO

I find it easier to use the img icon a few spaces from the add hyperlink. It seems to have less steps involved. I'd have to count the steps to be sure, but simpler in any case. JMO

Nice call Blaylock. it should be one step shorter since you do not have to click on the Go Advanced button to attach an image. However only images can be attached from the Insert Image button. But h*ll I did not specify in my by the pics thingie that you could attach whatever the forum lets you attach from where I described.

AND I reuse images so I can find them in other method. ALL that said, I think knowing Insert Image is another trick in our arsenal for dealing with this forum stuff.

THANK YOU!

RGone...

Z87 Maximus Hero is fully prepped for going cold, now why does the store with Dry Ice close on the weekend? Come on people!!!!

What to do about the Why...

Z87 Maximus Hero is fully prepped for going cold, now why does the store with Dry Ice close on the weekend? Come on people!!!!

...Can you just...???.....:rofl:

OR maybe just think of the cold stuff you have had.

No WEEKEND LUVEN!!!!
RGone...sterskizzzzzzzzzzzzz:welcome:

Last edited:
Funny stuff RBobsters, Monday cannot come fast enough.

Hmmm I just realized I posted that in this thread, I thought I posted it in Just Putzun....Sorry Bobert!

I thought I posted it in Just Putzun....Sorry Bobert!

Mandrake sir, if this mis-post was the toughest thang that ever had happened...then should worry but not for what it is. Just something about cooling as far as I am concerned.

RGone...ster.

Okay back to some more...

...maybe more serious stuff. Although after the 3 plus hours I just spent looking for an answer to a questioning by Silver_Pharaoh in the putzen thread...well I am not so sure that any of what I have seen myself and heard rumored is really very serious. Hehehe.

Just remember what I was looking for was not rumor but something that seemed to have solidity to it. As I searched I remembered trying some of this myself and finding maintaining the same CPU speed and all the other buss speeds the same thru out, was a project destined to failure to maintain a completely level playing field.

But here is a pretty well tabulated group of results with my admonition which is said over and over again by many and repeated at the bottom of the image.

RGone...

fsb overclocking2.jpeg

attachment.php
___B Y O S...

Last edited:
Looking for some Ram testing at 1200mhz frequency and beyond. Is there anything I can gander at?

Looking for some Ram testing at 1200mhz frequency and beyond. Is there anything I can gander at?

I deleted the post that said I was looking around. Not a lot, but you can glance at this from TweakTown from a few years ago.

AMD FX-8150 Bulldozer 2600MHz DDR RAM Overclocking

Interesting read in that even at high memory clocks the Intel chipset still beats out AMD. About Woomack said.

Was some HI-dollar ram for sure.

RGone...

AIDA64 Ram plus 2400Mhz.jpeg

Wow 2613mhz effective Cas 9. On no less than an FX-8150. Pretty darn impressive.

Interesting the kit they used, they exclaim the Intel system had a hard time with it. That was on a z68, but when they got the bulldozer up and running, that Ram humped pretty good.

Thanks for the read RGone.

AMD/FX990 can make tighter main timings than Intel Z77/Z87/Z97. Most my PSC/Elpida/Samsung kits couldn't go as tight on Intel as on AMD. I mean PSC @CL7@2600 for tests while CL8/CL9 was required on Intel for the same kits. I'm not saying about sub 0 temps.

kinda archive ss ;)

2800 C10 on FX8120

1.jpg

2515 C7 on FX8120

2.jpg

2400 C7 on FX8120 - longer tests and if I remember it good, it was quite stable in everything

3.jpg

New FX have improved memory controllers. These FX8100 series were about 3GB/s slower at the same memory settings.

@ShrimpBrime Flare/Dominator GTX are probably PSC. At least I don't remember any other IC in Flare and GTX4.

Last edited:
Thanks for those pictures, the most interesting is 1200mhz Ram accompanied by a regular standard cpu overclock.

And this type of Ram Oc requires recommended IC PSC correct?

What about some less expensive sticks, average cpu clocks and high memory speeds? I found my 2133 corsair kit to be pretty stable until it starts reaching 1300. Ive not taken the Memory past 1.65v, so instead run a looser latency like 11-13-13 for example.

Is the recommendation for ram volts as well? Does the Cpu/Nb voltage actually help Cas loose or not?

And lastly HT speeds. Would we recommend lowering this as the motherboard seems to do while on auto¿ Or would a higher HT, say 3ghz cause stability issues or just aim no higher than 2.6ghz.

Forgive me for the questions. I game with most of my very little free time and would like a head start for running 1300mhz ram freq or higher for daily uses.

I know this may sound funny from an Overclocker S_B but my HTPC is the 9370 at 4.7 on a sabetooth with 16Gb of 1600 ram CL9. I also have 2x GTX 770s in it and as an experiment have had the HT at 3125 IIRC for over 4 months and haven't seen any stability issues at all. I was testing(limited) the HT speed effect on multiple cards. In most cases the FPS were better. Sometimes a lot. As for the ram, I really don't think it's that important OH yeah NB speed is 24xx

I know this may sound funny from an Overclocker S_B but my HTPC is the 9370 at 4.7 on a sabetooth with 16Gb of 1600 ram CL9. I also have 2x GTX 770s in it and as an experiment have had the HT at 3125 IIRC for over 4 months and haven't seen any stability issues at all. I was testing(limited) the HT speed effect on multiple cards. In most cases the FPS were better. Sometimes a lot. As for the ram, I really don't think it's that important OH yeah NB speed is 24xx

Wow, That's no HTPC. That's what we call a sleeper in the hot rod world. I'd say that's at least a stout Gamer.

Wow, That's no HTPC. That's what we call a sleeper in the hot rod world. I'd say that's at least a stout Gamer.

DVD player mostly :rofl:
Yes it's my gamer, I had to do it this way. If I tried to keep my gamer in my cave I always ended up benching on it and you know how that goes. This way I always have at least one PC that isn't in pieces.

Back