• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

inhibiting corrosion w/o antifreeze

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

squeakygeek

University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign
I'm almost done with my watercooling setup, and I'm going to expose the radiator to the cold Illinois winter temperatures. I'm going to use a mix of windshield de-icer because antifreeze is pretty nasty, and expensive (I'm using a 10 gallon fishtank as a reservoir). The problem is, de-icer doesn't have any corrosion inhibitors. I won't need much, because my system is completely copper and brass (with a bit of 15% silver brazing rod), but I don't want ANY corrosion. What else could I use to inhibit corrosion, and about how much of it would I need?

johan851

Insatiably Malcontent, Senior Member
I know Napa sells a milky-white Anti-Rust thing. It contains all kinds of silicates and other stuff I wouldn't be too happy about putting in my system, but it's basically a bunch of corrosion protection without the ethylene glycol.

ILikeMy240sx

ehhh im finally back from the winter break so I can finally start posting again at OC forums YAY!!!!

If you go to any autostores or any place that sells auto antifreeze you should be able to find a corrosion inhibitor w/o EG lik johnan851 mentioned... I guess the mixing ratio depends on what kindda metal is in your loop

zip22

zerex super protector is a corrosion inhibitor for radiators. i hear it can be found at autozone. i have some in my system right now, but i jsut got it up and running, so i can't tell you how well it works out.

kayl

whats wrong with ethylene glycol
im curious, i have never used it before why should you use it
is propylene glycol ok to use