• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

inline pumps and heat

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JFettig

Hey! I showered! Senior
i found out that pumps inline will heat up the water massivly!

i have a maxijet 1200 295gph running inline on a 3/8in system

heres the deal, i hooked everything up in my new case and was bleedin out the air, it ran for about 20hrs then i touched my rad, WOW! thats warm! and the temp was around 35c! wow! so i ran the fans on my rad with the pump running for about 10 min, then i booted up, wow 50c! HOT! i was amased!
and im sure it creates less heat inline than submerged, but just showing people that it does creat a lot of heat! so i gotta go run my fans for a wile now to get it all out before i boot....

anyone else notice this?

LiGhTBoY

what do you mean ? inline will produce more heat since the pump doesn't get sufficient cooling from the surrounding air. The best way to go is submerged MO

f155mph

I got the same pump and run it inline but I don't have that problem. The pump run 24/7 and when the computer not on the pump is about 40c with the computer on and fans running the temp of the pump is 35c. My idle temp is 27-28c depending on ambient. At load my temp still stay the same, sometime maybe a degree over idle. My case temp is 25c.

LiGhTBoY

Oh that's what he meant :D ! I thought we were talking about the temp of the pump not the water.My mistake

OP
JFettig

JFettig

Hey! I showered! Senior
yea i had my pump running 20hrs strait, and it just heated up my water........

juliendogg

when i was water testing my bong block and plumbing i noticed the same thing. i don't have any temp probes but the block was definately warm to the touch, give a little power to the fan and it cooled right off. my pump also runs 24/7 but upon startup my temps are 34 at most.

tcl

bump

I think that most of the heat you are seeing added to the system from an inline pump is not really from the pump, per se. It is from the pump, but not how you would think: So, a 20 watt pump (about what the mj1200 is, i think) loses some energy to resistance in the wiring of the pump (the coils, etc) and this will make the pump a bit wrm to the touch. I imagine it is wasting only a couple watts this way. SO, ask yourself where the other 18 watts or so are going. Well, they are of course being used to move the water. Now, for simplicity, pretend your pump is just pumping water from a bucket through your water block, into another bucket. If there is no hose on the system, the mj1200 will pump 1200 liters/hr. However, if there is twenty feet of hose between bucket A and bucket B, the water "rubbing" the side of the tube for the twenty feet will logically slow it down considerably. Nothing suprising here. So, the water entering the hose at bucket A has an energy eqivalent to its velocity of 1200 liters/hr and the water exiting the tube has a velocity of, let's say 120 liters/ hr and consequently a tenth the energy. the rest of the energy was turned to heat by friction and is now in the water and hose. OK, so the pump adds energy to the water by accelerating it, then this velocity is turned to heat as friction slows the water. The above is simplified of course.

OP
JFettig

JFettig

Hey! I showered! Senior
DUDE! that totally makes sence!!! thanx man!

grunjee

Hmmmm. I have an inline system with an Eheim 1250. It definitely does add heat to the system, but nothing too serious I don't think. I wouldn't know about different brands of pumps though.