• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Input Lag: Adapt Vsync, Vsync, Gsync, and Free sync discussion...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Do gsync and freesync introduce input lag above and beyond vsync? Does adaptive vsync introduce any input lag?
An interesting read, I've always been using vsync and the one game in which I employed adaptive vsync I experienced tearing while using it (in Far Cry 3).

I have been doing so much research after we had this discussion here. G Sync does polling of the monitor frame time, it is minimal for input lag, supposedly Free Sync just uses vertical blank of the monitor so there is even less lag, however when you use G-Sync Nvidia sets Adaptive V sync for default, it limits to the refresh rate of your monitor. Adaptive v sync is only enabled when it matches the maximum FPS to the maximum monitor refresh rate, then it will turn off when the FPS drops below the refresh rate of the monitor.

So the way to tell if G sync or Free sync will help is if the FPS in Far Cry 3 drops up and down below the monitor refresh rate. G-sync and Free sync are for game stutter, however with a purchase most G-sync or Free sync monitors the Refresh rate will usually be 120Hz To 144Hz and that helps with screen tearing and stutter at the same time.

Since Adaptive Vsync turns off bellow the monitor refresh rate you should not get any performance reduction or lag from Adaptive Vsync . However if your monitor Refresh rate is at 60Hz the game engine will run at a max of 60FPS from back pressure.

I'm vary surprised that adaptive V-sync is not eliminating screen tearing in Far Cry 3, are you having tearing or is it stutter also what video card do you have?

NVIDIA G-SYNC: How It Works

Last edited:
Speaking of input lag with Vsync, G-sync, Free sync. Is Vsync-on compared to using Vsync-off when running RTSS FPS cap of 141 FPS with 144Hz monitor saving 24ms (0.024 second) of input lag make a noticeable difference ? I can't tell the difference in input lag when using RTSS cap Vsync-off with my pegged 141 FPS, compared to Vsync-on with pegging my 144 FPS 144Hz.

Video has input lag times for Vsync, G-sync, Free sync.

Back