• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Inside XBOX360

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dan0512

mb.jpg

I thought it had 3 Processors? And both GPU and CPU are covered by passive Heatsinks, whose air is sucked out by like 2 80mm fans. I guess they are not really that powerful, operate cool, or are powerful but operate awfully hot.

Just how would that system compare to my system, for example? My CPU, GPU, mobo, and RAM combination would be a loooooooot more expensive than the MSRP.

original article here

dan

NsOmNiA91130

3 cores. Not 3 processors.

Yeah, most people can't build computers, no matter how much instructions you could give them. Thus, why they will pay $400 for a console that's as powerful as a computer twice it's price. Also, about not being innovative, 3 cores? When will that come out, 2007? 2008? What about it's Xbox Live service? The marketplace, free demos, video chat (Soon...)...

Show me a console that is in a series that is 100% innovative, and you just found a console that wasn't based off of anything. Actually, just show me a console that was 100% innovative. 90%. 85%...can't think of anything?

geestring

yea its 3 cores... but its like specialized 3 cores...

its not up to the standards of the multiple cored cpus on pc....
so itsnot even that impressive...

OP
Dan0512

Dan0512

geestring said:
yea its 3 cores... but its like specialized 3 cores...

its not up to the standards of the multiple cored cpus on pc....
so itsnot even that impressive...

Yes I just read that the cores themselves are pretty weak..... So I don't feel that bad now. Just need to get a new graphics card!

Dan

Kevin007

Dan0512 said:
Yes I just read that the cores themselves are pretty weak..... So I don't feel that bad now. Just need to get a new graphics card!

Dan

I'm not very fond of counsels, I'd rather spend money on my pc.

trendx

Same here Kevin, its a waste for me atleast. If you have alot of friends over and have and good size HDTV. And only sports games as well are good. What is really wack right now is just the x360s launch... it so bad and it seems as if games were forced out just for the sales.

ShadowPho

I am in your stack, SUBbing your registers!
(quote)"I thought it had 3 Processors? And both GPU and CPU are covered by passive Heatsinks, whose air is sucked out by like 2 80mm fans. I guess they are not really that powerful, operate cool, or are powerful but operate awfully hot."

Those are not small!!!
therm.jpg

Aidenswarrior

NsOmNiA91130 said:
3 cores. Not 3 processors.

Yeah, most people can't build computers, no matter how much instructions you could give them. Thus, why they will pay $400 for a console that's as powerful as a computer twice it's price. Also, about not being innovative, 3 cores? When will that come out, 2007? 2008? What about it's Xbox Live service? The marketplace, free demos, video chat (Soon...)...

Show me a console that is in a series that is 100% innovative, and you just found a console that wasn't based off of anything. Actually, just show me a console that was 100% innovative. 90%. 85%...can't think of anything?

three core processors are never going to come out so you just owned yourself. They are going from two to four. Amd and Intel have already released info, including pictures, of their quad core processors. And the xbox 360 is not as powerful as a computer twice its price at all. And paying for xbox live is like paying for the internet twice. you have to pay your ISP and then pay for xbox live. All the xbox is, is a crap computer stuffed into a box. I would rather build myself a shuttle pc that would own the 360.

Prodigious

Wait a second, a hybrid heatpipe/heatsink system and a dedicated 80mm fan are "wimpy" cooling? First of all, since when have consoles EVER had the same heat dissapation requirements as a full fledged pc(last time I checked, consoles are designed to consume less power and therefore produce less heat). Secodnly, yeah that cooling solution IS enough for a stock processor. Unless you are ocing, it's fine.

And yeah, the system does run pretty hot as you would expect with all that crap jammed in there.

Kevin007

trendx said:
Same here Kevin, its a waste for me atleast. If you have alot of friends over and have and good size HDTV. And only sports games as well are good. What is really wack right now is just the x360s launch... it so bad and it seems as if games were forced out just for the sales.

em, I lose interest in them quite fast. Especially because the games cost $50! After a while you've got all these games that are worth way more than the counsel.

Captain Newbie

Senior Django-loving Member
Aidenswarrior said:
three core processors are never going to come out so you just owned yourself. They are going from two to four. Amd and Intel have already released info, including pictures, of their quad core processors. And the xbox 360 is not as powerful as a computer twice its price at all. And paying for xbox live is like paying for the internet twice. you have to pay your ISP and then pay for xbox live. All the xbox is, is a crap computer stuffed into a box. I would rather build myself a shuttle pc that would own the 360.
*sigh* Quad core, what a waste. Of course, it's only marginally more wasteful than triple core, which (at the moment) is more wasteful than dual core, which is more wasteful than a single superscalar CPU since the software hasn't yet caught up with the hardware.

Anyhow...the xBox is built around (in my very considered and definitely not humble opinion) the most powerful and efficient CPUs in the world--some form of the Almighty PowerPC--so it's definitely got some balls. How efficiently the OS and games *use* those balls may not be determined until the mod community does cool Linux stuff with the xbox. Linux on the xBox is probably very possible and feasible, since, after all, it is a PowerPC. :cool:

We shall see.

deathman20

High Speed Premium Senior
ShadowPho said:
(quote)"I thought it had 3 Processors? And both GPU and CPU are covered by passive Heatsinks, whose air is sucked out by like 2 80mm fans. I guess they are not really that powerful, operate cool, or are powerful but operate awfully hot."

Those are not small!!!
therm.jpg

Those are quiet small I'd say. I mean the GPU for instance, if its even semi similar to the computer versions, it puts out quiet a bit of heat! I mean would you really run your CPU/GPU on basically passive cooling even if it has a big heatsink? I think not. And I'm not talking OC'ed im talking stock.

Aidenswarrior

Captain Newbie said:
*sigh* Quad core, what a waste. Of course, it's only marginally more wasteful than triple core, which (at the moment) is more wasteful than dual core, which is more wasteful than a single superscalar CPU since the software hasn't yet caught up with the hardware.

Anyhow...the xBox is built around (in my very considered and definitely not humble opinion) the most powerful and efficient CPUs in the world--some form of the Almighty PowerPC--so it's definitely got some balls. How efficiently the OS and games *use* those balls may not be determined until the mod community does cool Linux stuff with the xbox. Linux on the xBox is probably very possible and feasible, since, after all, it is a PowerPC. :cool:

We shall see.

it is not built around the most powerful cpu in the world...
http://www.top500.org/system/7747
i dont think it is modeled after blue gene :)

benbaked

Folding/SETI/Rosetta Team Member
when they can run linux on a 360, then i will seriously give it some buying consideration.

i like the shape of the console, reminds me of an old dell optiplex. still though, my gamecube is plenty fun ATM.

Archer36

TollhouseFrank said:
Guys... .worried about the cooling? Put AS5 on there! Also, take out the stock fans, and put in some Tornados!
Hehe im sure someone on here will do that, after all i hear problems with crashing and such.