• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

inspiron 6000 ocing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deathstar13

FSB FRIEK
just snagged a good deal on one,anyhow for future referance i have a few questions.
it has a P-M 730 1.6
and ddr2 400 2x256mb

im not sure if its a dothan but id say most likely it is.
so a pin mod will net a 2.13 oc?
also in doing so will i need to swap the ram for 533 4200?
OR can you run it on a divider in the bios?
im just not sure on how that works on these.

i plan on going to 1gb-1.5 gb of ram anyhow and will buy all new anyhow.
pls post info on pin modding this link wise if its from somewhere other than here.
ill search here.

OP
deathstar13

deathstar13

FSB FRIEK
im finding alot of differant info on the memory tho.
some people are saying even tho it says 400mhz ram its actually ddr533 thats in the 6000
im looking into dell on that.
another thread says the memory has its own speed contoller that will run out out of synch at 400 even tho the cpu is running 533 bus.

that dont bother me non just a info im finding.
but yeh anyhow 533 1gb sticks are cheap as hell at newegg so ill get 2 of those.

ill look threw thos pin mod guides and im rather good at it as ive done it a few times before on desktop cpu's.

(edit) looked at dell site deeper and it has 533 mhz ram.
also i just noticed the 730 is a 533 bus chip :(
so no ocing till its popped out,and a nice 735 is put in its place.

not bad considering 2gb of ram= $130 and cpu = $220 for $350 total.
il resell old parts 2x$25 for ram and $150 for cpu for $200 back and only $150 final cost for a kick-a$$ upgrade speed wise.

Last edited:

charmapsyche

nice, good luck with that-

I just did this mod myself, tryn' to find a way to upgrade my bios for the Toshiba Satellite, L25-S1193 so I can up the volts a little and put my fan on Full-- if you got any advice on that- I'd greatly appreciate it

However, I noticed when bootn' windows it lags on a black screen for 10 seconds or so. It's prime95 stable overnight though.

I'll be upgrading the ram as well.. so that might take care of this.

OP
deathstar13

deathstar13

FSB FRIEK
i know little about this subject but i learn fast :)
have you tried the centrino hardware control program? nothing will overvolt it besides a pin mod and thats just iffy at best imo.
http://www.notebookforums.com/showpost.php?p=902232&postcount=437
thats a link to some vmods but i wouldnt due to the heat issues involved in such a small space.
fan control can be done with speedfan.
id bet a windows reinstall would fix that hang.

mcoleg

730 runs at 133 fsb. you need to pop in a 725 or other previous model that is on 100 fsb.
i have one overclocked. cpu cooler is more than suficient; buff the surface a bit and you are done. it's video cooling that you have to worry about.

OP
deathstar13

deathstar13

FSB FRIEK
mcoleg said:
730 runs at 133 fsb. you need to pop in a 725 or other previous model that is on 100 fsb.
i have one overclocked. cpu cooler is more than suficient; buff the surface a bit and you are done. it's video cooling that you have to worry about.
yeh i noticed that after my initial post.

i wanna pop a 735 for 2.26ghz and shouldnt be too much an issue.
im not a gamer and this has integrated vid but as i always do ill pop the cooler and as5 it also.

ebay has a few 725-735 $100-$125 im gonna go that route most likley but still cheap on newegg anyhow.

charmapsyche

Thanks, that's what I thought too, I wasn't thinking of an actual volt-mod, it's just that my bios doesn't support changing voltage whatsoever..

I probably will reinstall windows if windows continue's to hang

OP
deathstar13

deathstar13

FSB FRIEK
being this is oc.com forums i may be banned for saying this but im buying my ram before doing the cpu swap and pin mod.

512 is barely getting me by on this p3 800 laptop,and i have just bare minamum software installed for xp pro.
2gb will be much more appreciated than an extra 600 mhz would.

but it will be done,i havent owned any pc i did oc or at least try to oc.
but i did get this 6000 just for the shear fact i knew i could oc it :)

Vengance_01

deathstar13 said:
im finding alot of differant info on the memory tho.
some people are saying even tho it says 400mhz ram its actually ddr533 thats in the 6000
im looking into dell on that.
another thread says the memory has its own speed contoller that will run out out of synch at 400 even tho the cpu is running 533 bus.

that dont bother me non just a info im finding.
but yeh anyhow 533 1gb sticks are cheap as hell at newegg so ill get 2 of those.

ill look threw thos pin mod guides and im rather good at it as ive done it a few times before on desktop cpu's.

(edit) looked at dell site deeper and it has 533 mhz ram.
also i just noticed the 730 is a 533 bus chip :(
so no ocing till its popped out,and a nice 735 is put in its place.

not bad considering 2gb of ram= $130 and cpu = $220 for $350 total.
il resell old parts 2x$25 for ram and $150 for cpu for $200 back and only $150 final cost for a kick-a$$ upgrade speed wise.
You won't get that much for the cpu. I bet 120-130 Max unless they are dumb. Anyways contrats on the laptop.

OP
deathstar13

deathstar13

FSB FRIEK
Vengance_01 said:
You won't get that much for the cpu. I bet 120-130 Max unless they are dumb. Anyways contrats on the laptop.
it was just a number off the top of my head.
been a while since i sold in the classifieds but if you remember any of my sales i price it low and sell stuff fast.
i hate babysitting threads and haggling.

but you are correct i wont get $150 ill ask $110 shipped most likley.
1st rule of thumb for me is always beat neweggs price by 33% and $10-$20 lower than ebay.

im very glad i got such a good deal on it.im out of desktops for a while so i will soup this lappy to the max.
2.16-2.26ghz
2gb ddr533
60 7200 hdd
researching the video still. any ideas?i know dell has the x300 as an option but whats the best it will accept?

Bal`thzar

just a heads up the 725 has about a 95% success rate while the 735 has about an 80% success rate. this rate is based on running prime95 for longterm stability those 735's that are failing for the most part just require a small to moderate voltage bump to get them stable. I have had the fortune to have a 735 thats stock voltage stable at 2.26 ghz in an Inspirion 9300 so all things being equal get a 725 if you want almost no risk. or get a 735 if you want to take some chance but have a small proformance increase.

the only downside I can really see with the 6000 is that the x300 cards have memory issues, as in if its the model with "Hyper" memory then some of it is going to be shared from your RAM. but thats another thread.

and I would agree with Venge that you are a little to optimistic on your CPU resale value.

OP
deathstar13

deathstar13

FSB FRIEK
as always ive done even more research and find your predictions on success acurate.
still id do the 735 and worse case senario down clock it to the 725's oced 2.13 speed if need be.
i dont feel volt modding is a good idea on laptops.
hell ocing is hard nough on these chips and cooling as it is let alone more voltage.

i also found out the graphics is NOT upgradable from the intergrated intel parts.
seems these is no pci-e slot on the 6000 but only the 6000d or something like that.
will know 100% for sure whe i have it in my hands,this is info i found at notebookforums.com good place for info on these.

Bal`thzar

I spend plenty of time over in notebook world :) its a solid forum. The 6000 is a solid machine the only real downside is the graphics but its not a real big issue unless you are going to be playing fear

OP
deathstar13

deathstar13

FSB FRIEK
im no gamer but i do play one or two on occasion.
but i do mostly web surfing and watching movies and photoshop which it should do nicley at all those.