• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

instaling sata harddrive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

johnmcc516

I am working on my first computer, and I have run into a problem. I have an EPoX 8kdaj mobo, samsung 80GB SATA HDD, floppy, dvd, corsair 2x512, athlon 64 3200+, and x800 pro...

Anywho, I am having trouble installing windows from cd boot. I believe I need to install the SATA stuff, but I am not sure how to go about doing this. Anyone with some help? I wish i could be more specific, but I am a bit lost.

OP
J

johnmcc516

Just to let you know. When I go to boot windows xp from disk, i usually get a blue screen.

upstreamcurrent

I'm sure some more experianced member will be able to tell you more, but when I have installed windows onto SATA drives, I had to put in a disk during the SCSI/RAID section of the install. I'm not familiar with your board but these were both on AMD Athlon XP systems with VIA chipsets. Basicly, I had to manually load drivers for the SATA controler.

MuEagle05

Yeah, you definitely need the SCSI/RAID drivers for the motherboard. Press F6 when windows setup is loading and later on it will ask for the disk.

OP
J

johnmcc516

okay, it asked for the drivers. I downloaded the correct drivers off of EPoX's website, and installed them from a floppy. But I still got a blue screen... HD is bad maybe?

Docta_Z

Unplug all non-sata drives.

Put CD into drive.

I assume it goes into windows setup?

Once in windows setup - put in the disk that came with the mobo that contains the SATA drivers...

Windows will search - load them , and you'll be fine.

Have you double checked to see if your revision/model of the motherboard supports SATA? (I have no experience with Epox)

MuEagle05

When you say blue screen do you mean blue screen of death? B/c every BIOS i've ever seen and Windows setup all have blue screens. You shouldn't get a BSOD while installing windows. Try what Docta_z suggested and get back to us.

OP
J

johnmcc516

I do not believe a floppy came with the EPoX mobo. Its the 8kdaj. However, a CD came with the mobo. Are you saying that once I am in windows setup, take out the xp cd and put in the mobo cd?

The blue screen loads saying that windows is shutting itself down.

ERROR: UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

Last edited:

upstreamcurrent

In my cases, I had to make a floppy from either something I had downloaded or from something on the cd. The Epox website should have some information that could help you.

This is the information that I used to figure it out when I did it on an Asus board. This may be a good starting place to find out what you need to put onto the floppy. I wouldn't follow this exactly unless you have a via board.

http://www.asus.com.tw/support/faq/qanda.aspx?KB_ID=84897

Last edited:

Xaotic

Very kind Senior
If you are installing Windows, hit F6 to install SCSI/RAID drivers shortly after the CD install starts. There will be a prompt at the bottom of the screen. It wll not acknowledge that you have hit the key. I usually, hit F6 repeatedly to insure that it registers. After copying files into RAM drive, the install will prompt you for the floppy disk with the manufacturer provided driver. It has to be on floppy disk. ollow the prompts and it will allow you to install the driver and continue installation.

The FDD image will be on the manufacturer's site and should be on the driver CD as well.

OP
J

johnmcc516

I have already tried to install the SCSI/RAID driver using the floppy. I found the correct files, and when I move to install windows I get the blue screen error. UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_DISK

I am doing everything correct. Maybe my friends HD is bad.

Aslan

Have you turned on the SATA Controller in the BIOS and does the SATA Controller, upon bootup, give a message stating that the drive is connected to the SATA port? Other than this I can't really see anything else other than the HD being bad.

Aslan

It will probably be in a place such as "Integrated Peripherals", or "Advanced Features", something to that effect, and the actual setting might be located in another sub-menu, such as "on-chip devices". You can also find this out through the manual.

OP
J

johnmcc516

Ok, well me and a few friends tried to get it to work. I was able to do everything but boot from the disk, So I just ordered a 80 GB IDE western digital and will use it. It should be much easier to install. Thanks for the help everyone.

shadowdr

It is likely that the disk came unformatted and has no active partition.You can do this with a 98 dos bootdisk or get one from samsungs website.If there is no active partition the volume is unmountable and windows will not recognize it.