• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

install new HD error

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Puer Aeternus

Hey all,
Got my 30g maxtor drive back from RMA today:D

I am having some probs w/ the installation.
Basically in win xp it shows up as drive f (no windows on this drive) and reads as 1.92gigs?
it is a 30 gig hd!!!

What am i doing wrong?

Basically I created a partition in win xp set up...several partitions: 5/5/20gigs. I then booted into windows and found it showed as 1.92?
I wnet back into winxp set up and deleted the partitions and left it as 30gigs(29) and went back into winxp and same thing?

So I tried to reformat it in the win environment..and it stillonly shows 1.92.

I then went to admin tools/computer management/storage to see what it showd there..same thing?

Help!

repo man11

Wow, not sure what happened there. I'd start over, get the Maxtor low level format utility, and start fresh. The Maxblast format utility is pretty cool, and very fast. Very quickly partitions and formats your drive. I think it is available for download at Maxtor's site.

OP
Puer Aeternus

Puer Aeternus

Just used "max blast" from the maxtor site to format and partition my new drive. I created 3 partitons and booted back into windows..still shows as a 1.92 gig drive.....arrrrrggggghhhhh:bang head :bang head :bang head

A little help here folks!

OP
Puer Aeternus

Puer Aeternus

ya..slave drive.

I just tried uninstalling the drivers for it and rebooting..it now shows up in my computer as other w/ a question mark..in properties it shows the file system as raw?

something is askew, and i dont know what!

OP
Puer Aeternus

Puer Aeternus

ahhhh....found the prob!

It turns out that that the slave master setting was causing the prob!

I am used to my old hard drives and paid little attention to where the jumper went..in fact I was confused by the diagram.

So I set it to slave(3rd pin over) and it would only show up as a 1.92g HD? I set it to slave properlyConnect 2 top pins :::: instead of top to bottom and now my win xp sees my new partitions...jeez dudes, that only took severalhours of trying every configuration and reformatting umpteen times:mad:

Oh well...I learned another lesson in the world of computers....Fresh air and walks w/ the GF is more fun than having my head in my case...oh...and always RTFM!!!!!!(but guys are hardwired to ignore instructions...only read instructions as a last resortI always say!:p )