• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

installation of slk-800u

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jamezj

Registered
ok so i got my slk-800u and installed it but im not sure exactly how well i did. im thinking not so well since it is pretty hot at around 52 degrees celsius on idle... this is on a xp 1600+ palomino. this is the first time ive ever installed a non clip hsf. im not sure what the problem is though, i think possible problems might be that i put the four round pads under the heatsink but there are already 4 pads on my cpu but im pretty sure they weren't touching each other. i might have put too much thermal grease as well... i put a fairly large amount cause i couldn't see the actual chip. im using an abit nf7-s rev2.0 and i heard something about the temps reading wrong and i haven't updated bios any so far so that might be it. i still think i might have installed it incorrectly. please give me any suggestions. my 1700+ t-bred is about to come in so i will have to reinstall anyways.

irish80122

jamezj said:
ok so i got my slk-800u and installed it but im not sure exactly how well i did. im thinking not so well since it is pretty hot at around 52 degrees celsius on idle... this is on a xp 1600+ palomino. this is the first time ive ever installed a non clip hsf. im not sure what the problem is though, i think possible problems might be that i put the four round pads under the heatsink but there are already 4 pads on my cpu but im pretty sure they weren't touching each other. i might have put too much thermal grease as well... i put a fairly large amount cause i couldn't see the actual chip. im using an abit nf7-s rev2.0 and i heard something about the temps reading wrong and i haven't updated bios any so far so that might be it. i still think i might have installed it incorrectly. please give me any suggestions. my 1700+ t-bred is about to come in so i will have to reinstall anyways.

Two things, first off the NF7-S has been known to give you readings that are just a bit on the high side. Don't worry about that though. If these readings are truly on-die temps and not just socket temps, I think you have a winner. The on-die temps will always be higher than the socket temps, and almost everyone around here uses the socket temps. From the sounds of it, you are probably running under 40 for a socket temp, which is a good temp in my opinion. Hopefully others will respond though as well.