• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Installation Problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

killer7

Ok, I am a total noob and am Running Mandrake 9.2 on a VirtualPC machine just to learn. Anyhow I was going to try to install LimeWire. The website told me I needed to get the latest runtime envrionment. So, I downloaded j2re-1_4_2_03-linux-i586-rpm.bin. I went into my terminal and typed "sh j2re-1_4_2_03-linux-i586-rpm.bin" and it gave me a RPM. I double clicked on the RPM and then typed my root password and all was installed. Then, I download LimeWireLinux.bin and type "sh LimeWireLinux.bin". It starts to install and then tells me, "No Java Virtual machine could be found from your PATH environment variable. You must install a VM before prior to running the program" What should I do? Thanks!

Arkaine23

Captain Random Senior Evil
You need to find where the java executable was installed and then add that directory to your PATH. There are some threads that may make that easier for you. Just search for limewire and maybe java on a forum like justlinux.com.

To add directories to your user's path run this command-

PATH=$PATH:/path/you/want/to/add

This is not an issue you'll frequently have to deal with. Java is about the only package I've run into that does not install itself into your PATH.

Titan386

Personally, when I'm installing Java, I follow a proceedure something like the following:

- Get the non-rpm self extracting file, and stick it in /opt.
- Run it to extract it. It should create a directory in /opt (in your case, it will probably be /opt/jre1.4.2_03 , or something similar.
- Add a line like so to my /etc/profile:
export PATH="/opt/j2re1.4.2_03/bin:${PATH}"

To actually see the changes, type the following into a terminal:
source /etc/profile
echo $PATH

/opt/jre1.4.2_03/bin should now be listed. Your java executable is now in your $PATH, so Limewire should be happy.

OP
killer7

killer7

I got it working Arkaine23's way. Thanks :) I will probobly repartition and load Linux "for real" soon.