• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Installation woes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Starfire_MK2

I've got my Duron system (Win XP Pro) running the folding software just fine. But when I tried to install it on my roommates' P4 (man, I want that proc power right now!), I keep getting error 105, which says something like a file needed is in use, please re-boot. I've done that 5 times. The only version of [email protected] that doesn't give me that error on his system (Win XP Home) is the text only version. But it doesn't do anything! It just sat there for an hour, without completing a single frame! I though, "Maybe it's configured wrong", but even if I delete the program and download a new copy, I can't get to the port configuration menu. It doesn't even ask for my username. I've disabled the firewall. so that's not it. We're both connected to the internet thru a hub, could that be the problem?

Ploaf

Did the gui version ever install at all?
Also. If you run the command line client you could run it with the command flags. You can use shortcuts to do this. The shortcuts allow you to configure the client and do a few other things. All you do is create a shortcut to the text client and add a space and the command flag at the end of the target area of the shortcut properties. The command line flags are as follows. Do not include the quotes

"-config" Just as it says. You use this command to configure/reconfigure your username and information.
"-queueinfo" Use this command to find out how many completed WU's are waiting to be sent back to Stanford's servers.
"-delete x" use this to delete a wu from the queue. This can be used if you think that you have a bad wu and it is causing problems with the sending of other wu's to the servers.
"-send x" Use this command to manually tell the client to send in work to the servers. x equals the number of the WU that needs to be sent back.
"-send all" Use this command to tell the client to send all completed units. This is easier and friendlier than the -send x command and it seems to work better.
"-verbosity x" Sets the output level from 1 to 9 (max). The default is 3.
"-local" use this to run the client out of the local directory so that it doesn't need to access the registry. This command allows you to run 2 or more clients on the same machine.

Ploaf

The text version isn't an installer. You just drop it in the directory that you want it to run in and run it. It wouldn't run at all or do anything? If you can run it local it will run out of its own folder and not use the registry which should help.

OP
Starfire_MK2

Starfire_MK2

Nope, the text version won't even run locally. Well, it runs, but just sits there for over 30 minutes, waiting to process one frame. I don't understand it. :(

OP
Starfire_MK2

Starfire_MK2

Nope, no files created in the folder. It just sits there blinking, after the last "portions copyright" line. Please help. I need another system if I'm to have any chance of getting to the top 10 now!

Ploaf

Depending on the protein and the speed of the comp it could sit at that copywrite notice for a very long time. Hours even. That is the point where it starts folding and if you check your processes and see that the core_65 is running and the cpu is close to 100% then it is working.