• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Installed Arctic Cooling unit on GeForce 7200GT (Pics! 56k = NO!)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Theorie

Installed Arctic Cooling unit on GeForce 7800GT (Pics! 56k = NO!)

Well, just bolted it on and tried it out. MUCH better than the stock heatsink, and it lowered my case ambient temps too.

Here's the card:
eVGA Geforce 7800GT 256-P2-N516 ($289.00 + ship)

New cooling unit:
Arctic Cooling NV Silencer 5 (7800, 6800 GT, 6800 Ultra) Rev 3.0 ($31.99 + ship)

Now, on to the photos...

IMG_5269.JPG

IMG_5270.JPG

IMG_5271.JPG

IMG_5272.JPG

Look at the chepo-thermal tape (?) they had between the RAM and the sinks...
IMG_5273.JPG

IMG_5274.JPG

All cleaned up, thanks to some Q-Tips.
IMG_5275.JPG

Last edited:
Now for some screen shots...

Right after booting, idle temp.
AV_7800GT_BOOT.jpg

Stock Idle speeds:
AV_7800GT_IDLE_SPEEDS.jpg

After 10 minutes, idle temp.
AV_7800GT_IDLE_TEMP.jpg

Slight overclock.
AV_7800GT_OC_SPEEDS.jpg

After 10 minutes, overclocked idle temp.
AV_7800GT_OC_TEMP_IDLE.jpg

After 60 minutes of playing Counter-Strike: Source, load temp.
AV_7800GT_OC_LOAD_TEMP.jpg

I'm very impressed by this unit. For my card, this cooler was def. worth the money. I only did a slight overclock, and already I could tell the difference in CS:S. Maybe I'm just playing better tonight, but was holding a 3:1 ratio no problem. I didn't check FPS, or do any other tests, because I could care less about how it looks 'on paper'. More important to me is: can I actually notice a difference, and if so, was it enough of a difference to matter.

I rate this Arctic Cooling unit 9/10. Only lost a point because it takes up more space (less 1 PCI slot...)

Care to share your results with the previous heatsink? Like idle/load temps of that as compared to your NVSilencer, and how far were you able to get with the stock heatsink over the NVSilencer?

not to burst your bubble or anything but my XFX 7800GT gets lower temps with stock cooling and higher overclocks. I guess my case cooling is a bit better? I was going to get the NV silencer but was told not too cause it wasnt needed.

Are you having any voltage problems with the fan on the NV? I was also told those cards crash with that cooler on them quite often.

Back