• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Installed Audigy and lost Revolution: What gives?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

C38368

Well, I finally got my new computer up and running and mostly working.
Last night I was installing driver and basic apps and all that, and I had my M-Audio Revo 5.1 up and running just fine, listening to music via foobar2k and the card's digital out.

Then I installed the drivers (and just the drivers) for that stupid Audigy2.

Now, the A2's output (analogue, at least) work, but the Revo's digital out has ceased to actually send anything out. I haven't had the time yet to do much troubleshooting at all, so I have no idea what the real cause might be, but here's how it's all configured right now:
-Windows recognises both cards and correctly identifies both in the 'Sounds & whatever' settings screen as well as in device manager. The Audigy is set as the default device.
-foobar2k is configured to use the Revo for both waveOut and DirectSound output.
-The Revo's control panel is configured to use the digital out.

So what've I missed? I find it difficult but not impossible to believe that it's a driver issue, since nothing is spouting any errors. But otherwise, I'm lacking on brilliant ideas. Any help is much appreciated and very thanked-for already.

bchur83

I didn't know it was possible to run more than one sound card at a time. Back in the days of Win98, I know it was near impossible to make them work due to resource conflicts. I don't think multiple sound cards will work. At least not simultaneously.

grumperfish

You can change which soundcard is active for a particular function (Start->Control Panel->Sounds....-> Audio/Voice Tabs [forgive me if the audigy 2 has a different control panel]), but you really can't run two cards simultaneously except within certain programs like Virtual DJ etc.

OP
C38368

C38368

Ok, my first post seems to have been a little muddled, so allow me to clarify: I am not trying to use both cards simultaneously. I want the Audigy to run as the default device (this is for games, as BF42 and HL2 are both unstable on the Revo), and I want the Revo to come into play only when I'm using foobar2k (music) or PowerDVD (movies). Possibly a handful of other players also; that's irrelevant at this point.

My current problem is that the Audigy will play back under anything, but the Revo under nothing, regardless of what the other card is doing. I know that it's possible to have two cards installed and functional at the same time; I've had as many as three (the Audigy and the Revo were previously installed in an old system at the same time for about a week, plus the onboard audio).

MoreGooder

I have the Revo 5.1 too.
To get the S/PDIF to work, you have to select "Digital" as your speaker setup. Then, you have to restart whatever software you want to run (winamp for instance).

The downside with the Revo 5.1 is that apparently you can't have simultaneous Analog and Digital output. I'm really surprised. I've written an email to M-Audio technical support to verify my findings. If it's true, I'm returning my Revo 5.1 due to poor feature documentation. There is no mention of this "feature" in the documentation or specs.