• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

installed kernel 2.6, i have a few questions???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

matt_w_lambert

ok i have just installed kernel 2.6 on mandrake 9.2 and i have a few questions

when i boot up it just shows a blank screed for awhile then gdm pops up and asks for password ( dosn't show the boot screen thingy) so i told lilo to use
vga=normal

but i want to use lilo with the graphics is there a way to do this

also when i boot up it tells me

starting loopback interface 127.0.0.1 [failed]
and then it says somthing about that adress has already been taken
and it says somthing about arping socket not suported

and i get a mesage that says : modprobe failed QM_MODULES function not implemented

also my sound doesn't work i run draksound and it tells me that i can use any of these drivers ali_5455 i810_audio nvaudio snd_intel8xo
on my old kernel i was using the intel driver but none work

and when i tryed to dial into the inet through kppp it says to make sure the right device is on /dev/modem or somthing like that

one more thing how do i compile stuff into the kernel i used to use the kernel config tool in the kdecontrol panel but it doesn't work so what do it do after doing make xconfig and save those settings

ok thats all for now thanks!!

mirko_3

can't help you with everything, but here's what I can tell you:
after xconfig, you run make && make modules_install, then copy /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage to /boot, renaming it if you want...
as a boot loader, I use grub, simpler and causes less problems than lilo..
as for the qm_modules stuff, have you updated modutils?

injinj

but i want to use lilo with the graphics is there a way to do this

I'm not sure what you mean by that. Lilo is an ancient program who's days are numbered, I wouldn't expect any graphics options in lilo.

also when i boot up it tells me

starting loopback interface 127.0.0.1 [failed]
and then it says somthing about that adress has already been taken
and it says somthing about arping socket not suported

It sounds like it's configuring localhost, then trying to configure 127.0.0.1 as you eth0 address. Try the command "ifconfig" to see if the loopback interface is set up. On my system, it gets the networking information for eth0 from /etc/sysconfig/network:

NETWORKING=yes
HOSTNAME=myhost

It will get the address of myhost from /etc/hosts, so that's probably where you have to add an entry for you host.

and i get a mesage that says : modprobe failed QM_MODULES function not implemented

I think you need to install the modultils package for kernel 2.6. The 2.4 modutils may not work with the new kernel.

also my sound doesn't work i run draksound and it tells me that i can use any of these drivers ali_5455 i810_audio nvaudio snd_intel8xo
on my old kernel i was using the intel driver but none work

and when i tryed to dial into the inet through kppp it says to make sure the right device is on /dev/modem or somthing like that

This may be the same modutils problem. Try the command "lsmod", if that fails with the same QM_MODULES message, then you definately need to get a new modultils package.