• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Installed Ram The Wrong Way!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

baberpervez

Okay despite the good mood I'm rather worried.
I don't know what happened actually to my board and I"m thinking it just might be the CPU instead!

Here's what I did to wreck the system, I installed RAM in the DIMM slots backwards! (Yes I know, idiot!) The System turned on fine but automatically shutoff roughly 5 seconds later. Then, upon switching the RAM into teh proper direction and turning back on nothing would appear on the monitor. In fact the reset button wouldn't even work (whereas a light would blink upon pressing it usually). That made me assume that the board is fried. (maybe the memory dimms?).

I'm actually confused now because I repeated the "ignorant' Procedure again (installing the RAM background) and it automatically shut off again. Meaning the board is reading the RAM (although malfunctioning)... making me rethink whether it's the board or the processor that's fried.

What in the world happened? Anyone know? I've already got THE motherboard coming in so it will just be shame finding out that it's the processor rather than the board!

HELP!!

Steven4563

if your using DDR1 Ram i didnt think it was possible to install the ram backwoards unless your motherboard dimm slots havent got the bit to stop it ?

have u got any other ram u could try maybe thats messed up now

DanIdentity

How on earth do you install a RAM stick backwards? The stick and slot are both notched, it's physically impossible to press the RAM stick into the slot if you don't line up the notches.

FyreDaug

It sure isnt impossible to put it in backwards. The notch is there yes, but the clips that hold the ram in on the side can still be clicked in with a backwards stick. Not all the ram connections will be touching but it will still get voltage.

I can almost guarantee you that your cpu is fine. There is something wrong with your ram, or maybe your motherboard too.

Believe it or not I managed to do this once before aswell. Epox 8kha+ board with generic 2100 ram (512) ended up frying both. The ram controller on the epox went (which can be fixed...) and the ram was screwed. Actually burned the ram.

=ACID RAIN=

From past readings, your motherboard is probably dead, but I encourage you to try and revive it. Take a known good ram module and stick it in the motherboard to see if it will post. And for crying out loud, don't put anymore modules in backwards!

If it won't post after a cmos reset, it's gone.

Back to the ram: Place the modules you just potentially killed in a good motherboard and see if it will post. If it will, run memtest. If not, they are fried too. Make sure you try them one at a time.

Next time, make sure both ends click into place in the DIMM slots, and visually check your notches before you attempt to install ram.

We all have to learn our lessons, god knows I have learned many. The most important one when building is NOT to be lazy. If you have to physically pull the entire motherboard to install the ram right, by all means do it. You shouldn't have to, but that's just an example.

OP
baberpervez

baberpervez

Yes sadly the clippings did clip on even though the RAM was installed the wrong way.

"And for crying out loud, don't put anymore modules in backwards!"

Yah I kinda figured I shoudn't be doing that! LOL
I was just using a 256MB PC2100 for it anyways ($30) so it isn't a huge loss if it's fried.

The 512 MB stick however (that was in there previously) works just fine. I'm running it right now on my roommate's Pentium 4 and he's some loving playing DOOM 3 with a whopping Gig.

I'll try installing the 256 MB one (the abused bloke.. sniff sniff) and see if it works.

I'm glad to hear that you think my CPU is fine, what a relief! In fact I already deassembled the ASRock board (and CPU) in anticipation of the NFS 7 2.0.

One of you mentioned that you can fix the memory slots? How can that be done exactly? Should I just take it to a repair shop? If I do how much would the job roughly cost me? If it's under $20 it's worth it since the board costs around $60 (some money better than none).. but if it's more than $40 I'd rather not.

Seesh I've got some other stuff to repair too!

2 Altec Lansings ACS48 Mulitmedia Speaker Sets (both systems power won't turn on)
1 Altec Lansing 641 (aside from the one I'm currently using) whose subwoofer won't turn on!

Man electronics can be a pain! :)

enduro

Yeah, strangely enough my brother just did this. He put his brand new OCZ pc4000 gig kit in backwards, and it clipped in. He powered up, it stayed on for like 3 sec's and then died. After putting the memory back in the right way, it still wouldn't boot. He wanted a IC7-G anyway, so he picked one up and his rig is just fine. Memory wasn't damaged and neither was his cpu.