• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Installed water cooling system tonight, 1st time overclocker looking for advice.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Congo123

Registered
Hi all,

I'm a long time reader of the forums, just registered tonight. I installed the Zalman fanless watercooling system (it seemed easy for a newbie) this evening. I have always had problems with the temperature on the processor, but the water cooling has significantly dropped my temps. I am trying to overclock for the first time. I did a system hardware check with Sandra 2007. I am using an abit AI7 motherboard and have OC guru installed. I increased the external clock and the system appears stable, but I am trying to figure out where it is running with the clock increased to 215. Any help would be appreciated.

SiSoftware Sandra

System
Host Name : PATRICK-95E6E38
User : Pat
Workgroup : HOMEY

Processor
Model : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz
Speed : 3.19GHz
Performance Rating : PR4245 (estimated)
Cores per Processor : 1 Unit(s)
Threads per Core : 2 Unit(s)
Internal Data Cache : 16kB Synchronous, Write-Thru, 8-way set, 64 byte line size, 2 threads sharing
L2 On-board Cache : 1MB ECC Synchronous, ATC, 8-way set, 64 byte line size, 2 lines per sector, 2 threads sharing

Mainboard
Bus(es) : ISA AGP PCI IMB CardBus USB FireWire/1394 i2c/SMBus
MP Support : 1 Processor(s)
MP APIC : Yes
System BIOS : Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG
Mainboard : http://www.abit.com.tw/ AI7 (Intel i865-ICH5)
Total Memory : 1GB DDR-SDRAM

Chipset 1
Model : Abit Computer Corp 82865G/PE/P, 82848P DRAM Controller / Host-Hub Interface
Front Side Bus Speed : 4x 200MHz (800MHz data rate)
Total Memory : 1GB DDR-SDRAM
Memory Bus Speed : 2x 200MHz (400MHz data rate)

Video System
Monitor/Panel : SyncMaster 905DF(X)/955DF(X), SyncMaster Magic CD195A(P)
Monitor/Panel : Plug and Play Monitor
Monitor/Panel : Plug and Play Monitor
Adapter : RADEON 9800 PRO
Adapter : RADEON 9800 PRO - Secondary

Physical Storage Devices
Hard Disk : RAID_Volume1
Hard Disk : ST3200822A (186GB)
CD-ROM/DVD : PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-111D (CD 40X Rd, 40X Wr) (DVD 5X Rd, 5X Wr)
CD-ROM/DVD : VH3342J TLI537M SCSI CdRom Device (CD 32X Rd) (DVD 4X Rd)

Logical Storage Devices
Seagate (C:) : 186GB (55GB, 30% Free Space) (NTFS)
Raid Drive (F:) : 69GB (56GB, 81% Free Space) (NTFS)
CD-ROM/DVD (E:) : N/A
HOSTEL (D:) : 4.3GB (UDF)

Peripherals
Serial/Parallel Port(s) : 1 COM / 1 LPT
USB Controller/Hub : NEC PCI to USB Open Host Controller
USB Controller/Hub : NEC PCI to USB Open Host Controller
USB Controller/Hub : Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D2
USB Controller/Hub : Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D4
USB Controller/Hub : Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D7
USB Controller/Hub : Intel(R) 82801EB USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 24DD
USB Controller/Hub : Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24DE
USB Controller/Hub : USB Root Hub
USB Controller/Hub : USB Composite Device
FireWire/1394 Controller/Hub : Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
PCMCIA/CardBus Controller : Ricoh R/RL/RT/RC/5C475(II), R5C520 or Compatible CardBus Controller
Keyboard : Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
Mouse : PS/2 Compatible Mouse

MultiMedia Device(s)
Device : Realtek AC'97 Audio

Communication Device(s)
Device : Communications cable between two computers
Device : Novatel Wireless Merlin CDMA EV-DO Modem

Power Management
AC Line Status : On-Line

Operating System(s)
Windows System : Microsoft Windows XP/2002 Professional 5.01.2600 (Service Pack 2)

TazExtreme3

Processor
Model : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz
Speed : 3.19GHz (This is the current cpu speed)

Did you press Apply?
It should say 3.44GHz there if your at 215 fsb. 215x16=3440

OP
C

Congo123

Registered
Yah

Yah I just checked oc guru and it lists my ext clock at 215.2

TazExtreme3

go here and download cpu-z, It'll give you a "live" readout of your current cpu speed, front side bus, and multiplier, along with a bunch of other stuff.
Oh and just incase you don't know, "external clock" = fsb(front side bus)

OP
C

Congo123

Registered
Done

Still listed 3.19

I rebooted and changed the fsb to 215 and the dram to 5:4 in cmos. No clue what the deal is with oc guru, it still lists 215.2. temp on processor is 50 and pvm is 60. Stable? worth running sandra to check?

TazExtreme3

:eek: I don't think you want to overclock with those temps, 50C idle is pretty high. I'd have to say run the burn-in wizard or Prime 95 to get a load temp and see how high it is, if it's more than about 55C load, don't overclock that thing. Besides, the Zalman Fanless W/C system is made for more of a quiet stock speed pc.

Last edited:
OP
C

Congo123

Registered
sigh

Reason I went water cool was to OC. I've got artic silver 5 on the processor, and just used the zalman thermal grease on the northbridge and video card. I have some fans off, maybe i'll crank them on and see what I can do. Any other tips or anything I am missing? Is there any way to put more of the OC stress on the ram?

Or do i need to put the zalman water cool system in a mini fridge :)

johan851

Insatiably Malcontent, Senior Member
Yeah, 50C is pretty warm. Do you see a large difference between idle and load temps? And is the tubing and/or waterblocks in your loop warm to the touch?

OP
C

Congo123

Registered
nt

The tubing on the way out is a little warmer than the way in, I would say luke warm, maybe 5 degrees farenheit above body temp.

Edit: I see a large increase in the PWM during load tests, the processor temp stays where its at.

Last edited:

TazExtreme3

Yeah crank those fans up.

Prime 95 blend test does a nice job of putting some load on the memory, it's good for testing stability all around.

I don't know about putting the rad in a mini fridge but maybe get some ice packs to pack around it or put it in a cooler with some ice:)

johan851

Nah, don't bother with ice. Watercooling is more fun when it's low maintenance, trust me. :)

A fan over the CPU power mosfets would probably help you out some with PWM temps and maybe some overall stability. If the water is actually warm to the touch, I would suggest that you crank up your radiator fans and see where that gets you. What components are in your loop?

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS, by the way. :D

Dice

Congo123 said:
I have a fanless water cooler. It's http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/view.asp?idx=160&code=021

In the loop is the Processor, northbridge and graphics card.

That is a lot of watts for the fanless Zalman even at stock. Mayhaps the tower is the weak link in the chain. Have/would you consider shelling out for a rad? Active, aggressive cooling is what you'll need to bring those temps back down.

Check here and here for some ideas and, as always, keep us posted! :beer:

OP
C

Congo123

Registered
Any chance having too much Artic silver 5 on the processor could be causing this?

johan851

Ah, yes. The Zalman is a great quiet solution, but perhaps not the best performance solution. You should be able to get some more speed out of that CPU, though.

TazExtreme3

Congo123 said:
Any chance having too much Artic silver 5 on the processor could be causing this?
it's possible, how much did you put on? also AS5 does have a burn in period before it does it's job @ maximum efficiency.

Dice

Congo123 said:

While we as humans tend to want the simplest, cheapest solution to any given problem, even by following the instructions to the letter when applying AS5, the cold, hard reality of your situation is: The cooling device you are using is insufficient for your goal. Save the AS5 by foregoing reapplication. The idle and load temps of the CPU are close to each other. That shows that the TIM (thermal interface material) is doing it's job just fine. Replacing the tower with an actively-cooled radiator is, IMHO, the best way to achieve better temps, provided you wish to keep the other components of the loop.

Your alternatives are: replace the whole loop, discontinue overclocking, or revert to air cooling to name a few.

OP
C

Congo123

Registered
Thanks

Thanks all for the advice. Air cooling this rig was warmer than this, so at least I progressed a little. I'm going to look into other rads.

Congo123

And Dice, I'm not looking for the cheapest solution. Just looking into things I might have installed incorrectly.

Last edited:

archilochus

THE Senior FANMAN
Have you tried using a large fan to blow air at the Zalman tower... i read a thread not to long ago, and it helped lower the guys load temps.. let the a/c vent blow on it too! (if you have it) :)

OP
C

Congo123

Registered
@ archilochus

Hehe,

That was actually my plan. I live in New Orleans and flooded in the hurricane, so I have everything between 2 places. I was going to go grab my vornado fan from college and blast it from the ac vent at the zalman tower.

Also, is there anyway to decrease PWM, as that is what is spiking the highest.

The other thing is I am on carpet at this house, that can't be the best thing for heat exchange from the zalman tower base.

Congo