• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

installin BitchX on Mandrake 9.0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CrashOveride

ok so i dled this for IRC and i cant get it to install.. or maybe just cant figure out how to run it... i followed the instructions for installing files on that big helpful sticky and got it unpacked, configured, and maybe installed but what file do i run to use it?

OP
CrashOveride

CrashOveride

oh lol... thats it? no file extension? i may have installed it wrong cuz i dont think there is just that.. hrm, ill try that when i get home

DDR-PIII

Disabled
its an rpm right ? or w/e they are called heh, it usually knows whats what cuz there is the install file :)

OP
CrashOveride

CrashOveride

its a tar.gz file and i unzip it but it give lots of permissionerrors... could that be a problem?

its says:
Cannot utime: Operation not permitted

for almost every one...

lol silly me, i dont hav permission to edit the dir it was in... i just moved it but how do i give myself permission for future refference?

Last edited:

Titan386

Are you root?

Type 'su' and enter your root password when prompted. After the installation, type 'exit' to return to your regular user.

Generally, if you have a source distribution, you would install it as follows:

tar zxvf name-version.tar.gz
cd ./name-version
./configure
make
make install

You only need to be root for the last part, 'make install'. (provided of course, you are in a directory you have write access to when you untar the file, and you have access to the tarball itself).

OP
CrashOveride

CrashOveride

lol i now understand su root's name lol

well i got the permissions thing and when i do make install it gives and error saying it cant find 2 files... some setup files and i dont remember em and cant look cuz im not at my house.. i might reinstall on a different Harddrive anyways here soon so i dont need help anymore right now but i might ressurect this thread... i did get it un-tared, configured did make, then got an error... its kinda frustrating..

Titan386

Might be a dependency problem. Please post the exact error when you have a chance.