• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Installing a fan on GPU? Smart idea?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

baris_

Hello,

I came around this video on youtube when looking for gtx260 stuff.

I was wondering if this is smart? If yes, is this a good idea? If yes, will it allow better overclocking (due to lower temps)?

Let me know. Thanks!

Zap

Simply put, more airflow = lower temperatures.

Other people have put fans on the back of the PCB or even taken off the shroud and put fans directly on the heatsink itself. Sure, getto mods, but they do lower temps by a bit. I've personally tried the "fan on back of PCB" trick and don't remember exact temperature differences, but IIRC was around 5ºC without touching anything else.

Just remember that you need cool air to begin with, so pay attention to your case cooling and the temperature of your room as well.

killem2

A good thing to check also is your cable management. If you have wires blocking all the air flow it can be a huge increase in temps. Go to walmart or a similar store, and get the black clicky ties, I bought a pack of 20 for less than a dollar.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Honestly man. I wouldnt bother. Im sure your performance is going to be just fine with stock cooling and w/e overclocking you will be doing. These mods are generally done for people who benchmark. I dont think thats you...at least I didnt get that from helping out in all your threads. ;)

btw, Clicky ties = Zip ties. :)

OP
B

baris_

Thank you all for your replies.

Honestly man. I wouldnt bother. Im sure your performance is going to be just fine with stock cooling and w/e overclocking you will be doing. These mods are generally done for people who benchmark. I dont think thats you...at least I didnt get that from helping out in all your threads. ;)

btw, Clicky ties = Zip ties. :)

Right on the spot, as always. Yes, I'll try to do the best cable management as possible. But right now I wouldn't know a tiny bit how to do that. I'll just see as I do it and try finding videos that show good cable management.

Bobnova

There are two possible goals of cable management:

1) Looks snazzy.
2) Clean air flow.

Personally i care about the second one, which means i keep all my cables out from in front of fans, and provide clear pathways from intake fans to GPU/CPU fans and NB/SB heatsinks, and then from those fans to the exhaust fan/ports.
I don't really care what it looks like, so they're just bunched together off to the sides and such.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
I dont mean this as its likely going to sound, but, just use your head man!! Hide as many cables from the airflow paths as possible. Google "cable management" and click on the pictures to see what it looks like. Look here in the case section or search cable management here. Im sure you can do it without running to youtube to be spoon fed. :)

OP
B

baris_

I dont mean this as its likely going to sound, but, just use your head man!! Hide as many cables from the airflow paths as possible. Google "cable management" and click on the pictures to see what it looks like. Look here in the case section or search cable management here. Im sure you can do it without running to youtube to be spoon fed. :)

I realise that, but like for instance with my old case and old cables. Most cables were way too short to go around stuff. They just had one possible way to go. I don't know how many new cables I'm going to get with everything I've purchased in the last month.

killem2

I realise that, but like for instance with my old case and old cables. Most cables were way too short to go around stuff. They just had one possible way to go. I don't know how many new cables I'm going to get with everything I've purchased in the last month.

And that's cool to, even keeping them all localized in one place is better than all over.

Ideal is tucked 100% out of the way. I still have a couple sata cables in the way but its better than the giant psu cables.

Here are some before pictures I had. That clear fan is my 200mm fan and its the only intake.

CIMG3197.jpg

and a top view, you can kind see where the cd rom bays are that there is suppose to be free clearance under it for the fan to blow and there are wires coming out of all sides because I hadn't tied them down yet

CIMG3200.jpg

A nice cluster right in front of my CPU cooler LOL

CIMG3199.jpg

And this is a back view from the 5850 looking towards the front of the case

CIMG3192.jpg

I have my after pics uploading right now.

Last edited:
OP
B

baris_

And that's cool to, even keeping them all localized in one place is better than all over.

Ideal is tucked 100% out of the way. I still have a couple sata cables in the way but its better than the giant psu cables.

Here are some before pictures I had. That clear fan is my 200mm fan and its the only intake.

CIMG3197.jpg

and a top view, you can kind see where the cd rom bays are that there is suppose to be free clearance under it for the fan to blow and there are wires coming out of all sides because I hadn't tied them down yet

CIMG3200.jpg

A nice cluster right in front of my CPU cooler LOL

CIMG3199.jpg

And this is a back view from the 5850 looking towards the front of the case

CIMG3192.jpg

I have my after pics uploading right now.

My case, currently, is worse. I'm expecting the antec 1200 on monday though. I would like to see those afterpics. I'll be waiting.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
You will be fine with the 1200. Just ziptie together what oyu cant hid e(ziptie everything!)

killem2

Ok its kind of hard to tell the difference with out a video but its so hard to move a camera around in my new case to get good angles but I'll do my best to explain.

My usb internal cables were so long and thick they actually hold there shape in place allowing me to hook up some psu cables to it and keep it in place to the side of the 5.25" bays and more inportantly out of the air flow of the 200mm fan.

CIMG3219.jpg

This picture shows the 2nd male connect of the IDE cable, a sata cable, and psu cables bundled and held RIGHT behind the bottom 5.25 drive. Which is about a 1/2 inch above the top of the 200mm fan.
CIMG3220.jpg

A top picture of all of it.
CIMG3222.jpg

As you can see the trouble I get trying to get a good picture of the under carriage of the 5.25" bays but I think you can see that the only thing in the way not is the PCIE cable to the 5850 and the sata power cables.
CIMG3226.jpg

Another picture to show just how much room there is in front of the 200mm fan.
CIMG3228.jpg

This one is to show the fan controller to the cpu, and the cords to the 140mm rear fans. They are supsended right above the 5850, but right between the 140mm fans and cpu cooler so any air that would come back that way is going to hit this bundle and go left or right which either way is a win-win because I have the 140mm fans on either side to pull stuff out.
CIMG3230.jpg

As you can see nothing in front of the cpu cooler anymore. If anything is still in the way its trying to be right in the middle of the case.
CIMG3233.jpg

Unavoidable here. But when you can't move it right out of the way, condense it as much as you can.
CIMG3234.jpg

Looking through the 200mm fan while its moving.
CIMG3235.jpg

Looking back from the 5850 to the front 200mm fan.
CIMG3239.jpg

OP
B

baris_

Ok its kind of hard to tell the difference with out a video but its so hard to move a camera around in my new case to get good angles but I'll do my best to explain.

My usb internal cables were so long and thick they actually hold there shape in place allowing me to hook up some psu cables to it and keep it in place to the side of the 5.25" bays and more inportantly out of the air flow of the 200mm fan.

This picture shows the 2nd male connect of the IDE cable, a sata cable, and psu cables bundled and held RIGHT behind the bottom 5.25 drive. Which is about a 1/2 inch above the top of the 200mm fan.

A top picture of all of it.

As you can see the trouble I get trying to get a good picture of the under carriage of the 5.25" bays but I think you can see that the only thing in the way not is the PCIE cable to the 5850 and the sata power cables.

Another picture to show just how much room there is in front of the 200mm fan.

This one is to show the fan controller to the cpu, and the cords to the 140mm rear fans. They are supsended right above the 5850, but right between the 140mm fans and cpu cooler so any air that would come back that way is going to hit this bundle and go left or right which either way is a win-win because I have the 140mm fans on either side to pull stuff out.

As you can see nothing in front of the cpu cooler anymore. If anything is still in the way its trying to be right in the middle of the case.

Unavoidable here. But when you can't move it right out of the way, condense it as much as you can.

Looking through the 200mm fan while its moving.

Looking back from the 5850 to the front 200mm fan.

Thanks alot for those pictures. I will post my rig too, when it gets here.