• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Installing a motherboard?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hkh

This may sound dumb but let me tell you the story, When I built myfirst computer that is in my sig I ****ed up 2 times any way when I got my case it came with copper screw offsetters that go into the case then the motherboard goes on them while that is what I thought I screwed the motherboard right to them umm while when i turned it on the PSU blew up I sent it back thinking it was the PSU umm same problem then I thought it was the motherboard so I sent every thing back but this time I went to the computer shop and they told me what was wrong I put the MOBO wight against the metal, dumb me :cry: the thing is I took my HP computer apart to see how they went togther but I did not no they had a spacer built into them err, what they did was place tape on the board and the offsets and it worked but I dont want to do that with my new computer what is the proper way to do it?

flixotide

I must admit I've never used anything between the spacers and the mobo. Sounds like bad luck to me.

What I would however suggest, that when you fit your mobo onto the 6-8 spacers, don't tighten the screws too hard, as you might otherwise damage the motherboard. Remember, this is a computer not a bike you're fixing.

Apart from that, just remember the basics, avoid contact between metal and circuitry, ensure that all power connectors fight nice and tight. Then you should be good to go.

And always check the mobo for dropped screws before powering up first time.. lol... I always manage drop one or two during assembly, and the last thing you want is a screw shorting the circuitry ;-)

Good luck

Cheers, Flix

JKeefe

The contact points on your motherboard are supposed to touch the motherboard standoffs. These places on the motherboard are suppossed to be electrically neutral, and thus touch the case metal, which is grounded.

If you are having electrical problems, the motherboard could easily be the cause, but not the way you are describing. Make sure the back edge of the moterhboard is not touching the case - this can cause unwanted shorts.

Mark620

I have to agree with flixotide, I have built and rebuilt many computers and I have never used anything other than the metal stand-offs (altho some cheap cases have plastic stand-offs)