• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Installing a SLK-800(A)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

james.miller

i just used my fingers - much harder to damage anything that way lol

I remove the graphics card and ram before mounting/taking off the 'sink. It give you more room to work and makes it so much easier.

OP
K

katka

Well I finally got that POS mounted. Last clip HSF I buy. I hit the mobo a few times but it just damaged that little sticker Abit put on it and not the Mobo.

arnoldma

lol, i find a screw driver that was just right for the lil hole they put on the clip!! it's so damn easy for me now, the screw driver sets right in place!!

it takes me no effort at all to install/take off one of these babys :D

zachj

Chainsaw Senior
Well, for me, it's SOOO much easier to just use my fingers to put it on. Put on one side, center it over the processor, and, holding the heatink in place so it doesn't move and holding the side of the clip that's already attached so that it doesn't slip off, just press down on the other tab. Don't pull it away from the tabs on the socket, just push the clip over the tabs. When it's down far enough, they just sort of snap over the tabs and you're all set. I can seriously do it in a few seconds. Doing it with a screw driver took me at least a minute, simply because if you use one, you have to sort of bend the clip out to get it to go over the tabs, as pushing with a screw driver pushes the clip towards the heatsink, not the tabs.

To take it off, it's more difficult. I use my fingers and a screw driver for this. I push down with my thumb and take a screw driver and pry the clip out from the tabs. That sounds dangerous, but I don't brace it against any part of the computer. I simply pull my whole hand away from the tabs, keeping my fingers stiff.

This works so much better for me and now I'm not terrified of killing my processor when I take it on or off.

Hope that helps

Z

OP
K

katka

Well I got my computer set up (I'm on it right now) and it's working fine. I went in my basement and got all the screwdrivers I could find and found one that was just the right size. Now all I've got left to do is to OC which I'll start in about a hour.