• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Installing Crystal Orb on Radeon 8500 -- quick question!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dxiw

Disabled
I bought a Crystal orb and would like to put it on my Radeon 8500 video card, but I have to use a thermal pad that comes with the crystal orb because the ATI Radeon 8500 does not have the mounting holes so i cant use Artic Silver2 is there any way to moun tusing Artic Silver 2?

RnPgrosz

make sure you get the arctic alumina adhesive not just arctic alumina. I made that mistake and I coudn't figure out why the crystal orb wouldn't stay on my geforce2 card.

Silversinksam

Moderator/ Silver Paste Taster©
Xprincox said:
yup on the AS site alumina is also under the adhersive section and say in big RED letters "Arctic Alumina Thermal Adhesive is a permanent adhesive"

http://www.articsilver.com/arctic_alumina_thermal_adhesive.htm :burn:

Well thats not entirely true, I use Arctic Silver Adhesive and Arctic Alumina Adhesive and I am able to remove it using the freezer trick.

Just recently I removed my Alpha Pal 15u from my GPU that was held on with 'Full strength' Arctic Alumina Adhesive, put it in the freezer to weaken the molecular bond and it came off easily enough......If you dont freeze it first theres a good chance the GPU will come off as well if your not careful :D

XprincoX

bargain hunter
well yea can always remove it with the freezer trick... Just dont try to glue ur finger or something to ur mobo and everything will be great. :D

OP
dxiw

dxiw

Disabled
I feel more cofortable using ahterml pad though, on a gpu how much cooling difference will i see between a crysdtal orb with as alumina adhesive and thermal pad from tt?

OP
dxiw

dxiw

Disabled
Also i noticed the card comes with no ramsinks and a lot of different ppl say memory runs cool so its not needed but i dont have way to measure it so im not sure. Are ramsinks really needed to run the card at normal speeds of a small o/c?
I mean most ppl get like 30C ram temp bare and like 27C with sinks even if i o/c and reach 40C that still real cool doubt it would affect the card right?

Silversinksam

Moderator/ Silver Paste Taster©
dxiw said:
I feel more cofortable using ahterml pad though, on a gpu how much cooling difference will i see between a crysdtal orb with as alumina adhesive and thermal pad from tt?

Thermal pads are extremely horrible conduits of heat, matter of fact you can cause more harm than good, ask around the forums as a few people used thermal pads and their heatsinks fell off and damaged their PCI cards and worse horror stories.

About the only thing a thermal pad is useful for is ramsinks, and even then they have been known to fall off if the surface isnt prepped properly.