• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Installing Millenium Glaciator

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

doublec16

Registered
It says to spread the Arctic Silver evenly on the surface in the instructions. I have a few questions:

How much of the thermal compound should I use? The whole little package that came with the heatsink?

With what should I spread it? Is my finger ok or would that contaminate it?

Should I spread it over the entire surface that makes contact with the CPU?

Is there anything I should look out for?

The easiest way for me to tell you is how I do it. First off make sure the cpu core and heatsink are clean. Then, put a VERY small amount on the cpu core. About a quarter of a pea size. Then I use a razor blade to smooth it out evenly and making sure I can't see any part of the core on top. Then when you put the heatsink on, make sure not to wiggle it around after touching it to the cpu. This method has worked for me many times.

if it is the first time installing the heatsink, or after lapping, i sometimes 'mock' install the heatsinke once. by this i mean placing and pressing the heatsink into place where it would normally be. upon removal you can look at the bottom and see the imprint of the core... if it is not a full imprint, you arent getting full contact. after doing this it is best to reapply compound as described above for the real installation of the heatsink.

Back