• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Installing os on another hard drive.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JoshOohAh

I know this may be a silly question for some but I was curious as to if this would have no real downside. Using a 1tb (7200 rpm) hard drive to store all my games, music, vids, pics, school stuff etc. Then Install Windows 7 on my 80 gb (7200 rpm) hard drive. Would it take more time to process information between the two hard drives? I know this is generally done between a SSD and a 7200rpm. Also can you configure it to store all the files like program files, program files (x86), users, and windows to save to the tb hard drive by default? The reason for this is because I have some very important files that I would not like people snooping on. Bitlocker which comes on Windows 7 Ultimate can hide them all, only if it's on a hard drive with another partition of Windows thus I would need to do this.

ekoh

It really depends on how much data you have going between the two. If you are doing just your OS on the 80 and all your games/program installs on the TB drive you wont notice "much" of a speed lost when it comes to booting up games and programs, but by theory yes there is a speed loss, not much though unless you compare between the two.

Upside is only putting windows on that 80 gig, windows "may" run a litter quicker when it comes to OS driven features since there is not all that data for it to go through(hence disk defragging)

Honestly, don't worry about it. You wont notice a difference because it sounds like you have never done it the other way around, if your setup is running sexy with how you have, thats good enough!

In the future if you want to do that though, you can do a 80 gig partition and the rest of that tb can be storage, just be sure to back up your data to another drive.

OP
JoshOohAh

JoshOohAh

It really depends on how much data you have going between the two. If you are doing just your OS on the 80 and all your games/program installs on the TB drive you wont notice "much" of a speed lost when it comes to booting up games and programs, but by theory yes there is a speed loss, not much though unless you compare between the two.

Upside is only putting windows on that 80 gig, windows "may" run a litter quicker when it comes to OS driven features since there is not all that data for it to go through(hence disk defragging)

Honestly, don't worry about it. You wont notice a difference because it sounds like you have never done it the other way around, if your setup is running sexy with how you have, thats good enough!

In the future if you want to do that though, you can do a 80 gig partition and the rest of that tb can be storage, just be sure to back up your data to another drive.

Thanks for all that advice. Yes I was going to put strictly the os on the 80gb hard drive so this sounds great. Mind you this is just temporary until I notice somewhat of a drop in SSD prices.