• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Installing Win7 on an SSD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jokers_greg

So, my friend bought an SSD, specifically a Kingston SSDNow V series drive. Anyway, he's been having trouble installing it, apparantly the OS won't install because the system does not recognize the SSD as a boot drive. I'm going over there tomorrow to help him out, but is there anything I should know before I go?

Anyway, is there some settings that need to be changed to make an SSD a bootable drive with Win7? He's running an X58 Lanparty Jr. and i7 920.

OP
jokers_greg

jokers_greg

yeah, I googled arouund a little bit, looks like its a common problem with those kingston drives. Looks like an easy fix. Guess I'll find out when I go over there today.

visbits

You want AHCI mode if your expecting trim functions to work. Chances are its in IDE mode vs ahci.

Know Nuttin

You want AHCI mode if your expecting trim functions to work. Chances are its in IDE mode vs ahci.

JMicron controller doesn't have TRIM support anyways. If they do have the Kingston V Series, IDE mode is fine.
Even the V+ series doesn't have TRIM yet (Samsung controller).
The only SSD's from Kingston that do have TRIM support at the Intel G2 based SSD's.

OP
jokers_greg

jokers_greg

just an FYI, I figured out why it wasn't booting. Apparantly win7 won't boot the first time if you have two monitors connected... Really weird, found this via googling. Worked like a charm.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Its not intel only...some OCZ drives support TRIM (Vertex and I believe Agility). The Summit has OLDER FW with GC on it (which was suspected to be better according to Tony at OCZ) and will soon have TRIM FW released VERY shortly.

OP
jokers_greg

jokers_greg

thank's for clarifying earthdog. SSDs are complicated enough as it is. Guess TRIM, and the type of controller are the reasons why there are so many different prices for the same amount of storage.

Know Nuttin

i can't believe only intel has TRIM support! I thought that would be the main reason for anyone to switch to SSDs and go win7. Oh well.

You didn't read my whole post. I said "The only SSD's from Kingston that do have TRIM support at the Intel G2 based SSD's." That still holds true.

Evilsizer

Senior Forum Spammer
Its not intel only...some OCZ drives support TRIM (Vertex and I believe Agility). The Summit has OLDER FW with GC on it (which was suspected to be better according to Tony at OCZ) and will soon have TRIM FW released VERY shortly.

Trim and GC support sdd's from ocz are Vertex/Agility(both indilinx barefoot based). the samsung based (summit) is suppose to get Trim support, samsung is working on this(according to tony on OCZ forums).

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Weird echo in here...!!! :thup:

Yes, I am a member there and just got my SSD (Summit) back from Ryder around Thanksgiving with the GC FW on my drive. I was tired of waiting for the TRIM FW. Also note you can only flash FORWARD on the Summit so I can now have my choice of GC or TRIM when the release the FW for it (according to Tony). Im good with GC for now. After having it run, Im getting over 220MB Read and 135MB writes (227/150 respectively).

Cisco Kid

My take on ssd's right nopw is they are a pain, I have a pair in Raid 0 array, an OCZ Agility w an OCZ Vertex both 60gb. In order to run in raid array both have to be on 1.41 FW which has GC, but no TRIM unless you run single drive w/o any other array.

I had issues flashing my Agility to 1.41 FW. I have been asked to retry by Ryder over at OCZ, erhaps I used an older FW 1.41 so will reflash it today, drive is showing 1.41 on it but at end of flash was getting "fail," this was cmoing from a 1.3 FW. The Vertex drive updated fine.

I will see how both run in raid 0 array, it is fast thats for sure, what I can not be bothered with is tweaking Win 7 or running SE should the drive start to suffer in performance... But I have just started to get familiar with these ssd's perhaps it will all fall into place as well but it is just not an install and leave alone thats for sure at least at this time...