• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Integrated Intel 3D Extreme Graphics On A Dell Dimension 2400 Desktop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

elva lover

Hi, i'm just wondering if that integrated intel 3d extreme graphics on the dell dimension 2400 card is good enough to play warcraft 3? I've never had a computer with that graphics card so i'm not sure. However, I have a shuttle SS51G and the integrated graphics is good enough to play it smoothly.

However, when I called Dell to order, the guy said that this computer won't be able to play it because of the crappy graphics card. he said even games such as starcraft would be very laggy on it (probably a lie since i used to play starcraft on a pentium 200 with a 1mb video card)

The rep suggested I order the higher model (Dimension 4600) since the 2400 can't even be upgraded while the 4600 can.

This computer is for my uncle and his son. They just bought warcraft 3 and realized they couldn't play it on their old computer. They don't want to spend too much either. The 2400 is only 599 which is why they wanted it. (the 4600 which the rep suggested is 899... and my uncle doesn't want to spend that much)

anyways, your comments/suggestions are greatly appreciated! thanks.

Th0r

Don't buy a OEM all round... The Intel Graphics could not compete against any of todays graphics cards... not even yestadays...

Build a custom PC with a R9000 Pro in it...

Aslan

Well, my guess is that the Dimension 2400 would be able to play Warcraft 3 with the integrated graphics, but not very well, and your Uncle and his son would really have to forget playing anything else. The 2600 isn't really a good choice at all, since basically nothing can be upgraded, including video.

However, you might be able to get a good deal on a Dell computer if you check websites such as www.fatwallet.com, which post discount codes for Dell quite frequently, and your uncle might be able to get the 4600 for the same price as the 2400.

I'm not really a big fan of OEM computers, but judging from how it sounds, an OEM computer would suit your uncle and son well enough.

TimWest

I aggree with Aslan, Here is Rage3D Deals has lots of Dell Deals.

First computer listed is a 4600, 512MB, 40 gig HD, No Monitor for $499. That is with Integrated Video, but you can get a FX5200 for $70 or a 9800 Pro for $200.

http://www.rage3d.com/index.php?node=deals

If you have to get the 2400....you can upgrade it with a VisionTek 9100 PCI card. I believe they are the fastest PCI cards around. They are getting hard to find. TigerDirect had them for $69 but I can't find them on there site anymore.

OP
elva lover

elva lover

ok. wow. i didn't know there were other sites out there with dell deals. thanks!

OP
elva lover

elva lover

forgot to mention that the 599 for the 2400 and 899 for the 4600 are in cdn

Aslan

Hrm....since it's CDN, my guess is buying a Dell is out of the question, since your Uncle is unwilling to pay $899.

However, does your Uncle's old computer have any parts that can be reused? My guess is that the monitor, hard drive, keyboard, mouse, floppy drive, CD-ROM, Operating System (and Case, depending how old the sytem is) can easily be salvaged from the old system, and used in the new one.
In this case, my suggestion is to go to a store like NCIX, and buy a motherboard, CPU, memory, and Video Card.

Here (I hope this works) is a config I did at NCIX for $501 CDN that features everything that I think you'll need, and the video card even comes with free HL2. However, some construction is necessary, but I think you can help with that. ;)
If not, then they can get a cheap case for around $20-30 and pay $25 extra for assembly, and drop the Barton down to something a little cheaper.

OP
elva lover

elva lover

their old computer is VERY old.. i mean. it's so old the harddrive is useless anyway.

yea, i was thinking of just tell them to build one rather than get the dell comp since i can probably build one for ~600 w/o monitor. but i thought it would just be better since if anything does go wrong they can call up dell for assistance instead of me having to do a lot of trouble shooting/problem solving.

he said that they won't be playing a LOT of games anyway. (he doesn't buy a lot since he doesn't want his son to alwayz play games.) just warcraft and any older games they have. so IF the 2400 can play it.. i guess it should be ok... i guess that $599 ur paying for also includes the SUPPOSED #1 customer service you're supposed to recieve.. i unno... i alwayz built my own comps...

Yuriman

I think that guy that said you will lag in starcraft is an idiot(no offence). Any 3d card should have no problem with a 2d game. Now to the important part of the post: If a game will run on a tnt2 M64 then you should be able to play it fine with intel graphics.

PingSpike

I think that guy was most likely just trying to upsell you to a higher end system. No, the dell system isn't ideal and it can't be upgraded...but given that your uncle has a PC that has reached total obsolescence I don't think that it going to be a major concern for him. Explain to your uncle exactly what the situation is the best laymans terms you can. Let him make the decision.

TimWest

I say the VisionTek PCI ati 9100 card may be the best bet. That should give them more enought gaming power.

So buy the 2400 $599 Candian, if Video is to slow then find the above PCI card. All else fails buy a MX440, or FX5200 PCI, which ever is cheaper.

OP
elva lover

elva lover

does ne1 kno the specs on that integrated intel thing? is it better worse or as gd as the integrated video for SS51G? must b better than a tnt2 rite? how manie mb can it use up of ur ram?

funnyperson1

Its on par with a TNT2. At 640x480 it should be able to handle warcraft. Newer games will really suffer though. Things like UT2003 or Americas Army will be close to unplayable at lowest settings.

That said its not a bad computer for the kind of user these people seem to be. Ask dell if it has an AGP slot and maybe you coulld get a nice 9100/8500 that would definately satisfy their needs for years to come.

TimWest

VisionTek sells a PCI version of the 9100. They are starting to get hard to find.

I think the 9200SE is starting to take it's place on the shelfs. Which would be to bad, because the 9100 smokes it anyday of the week.

I would agree that Intels intergrated graphics would be on par with TNT2.

OP
elva lover

elva lover

i think the 2400 does not have agp. which was the problem in the first place. can't get an agp card even if i wanted to. however, i get mixed comments from people, my friend played WC3 with the tnt2 (actuallie.. i tihnk it's the tnt2 m-64.. it had 32mb mem) he sed it wuzn't bad. on the other hand, my friend with a GF4 Ti4200 says it lags even on the GF4 (maybe due to the bad direct3d support?) but if it lags even on a GF4.. wouldn't the integrated be horrible? i'll tell them to try out the comp. if the integrated can't handle it i guess i'll look for a pci card

MooMasster716

Just so you know, after i fried my ti4200 I had to use intels integrated graphics on my 845ger2 mobo. I also playes War3 and it ran nice at 800X600 with no goodies, but id imagine the centerwood mobos must run it better. Oh and the best integrated graphics platform would be the NF2's Geforce 4 mx right or is it ATIs new chipset?

harryinny3

The extreme Graphics stink

I had them last year in a dell my uncle bought. Even at 48mb memory it would NOT run nascar 2003 at all. It would crash to desktop. You can always update the intel graphics driver from intels site and it Should give you more memory options. But remember you NEED alot of system memory for the Intergrated graphics to set itself to use more.

Honestly your best bet is to get the PCI card mentioned. If not that card the MX cards will handle WC3 ok. But dont expect much.

There are Deals everywhere, Try if you can, to build them a rig. Seriousely, The service at dell stinks. They will ALSO make you pay shipping to send that rig back if there is a problem with anything other than the CD-ROM. Now to me, that isnt worth it at all. You pay for 3 year service and you end up having to pay shipping. Better keep those boxes for 3 years also.

Harry

dippy_skoodlez

elva lover said:
Hi, i'm just wondering if that integrated intel 3d extreme graphics on the dell dimension 2400 card is good enough to play warcraft 3? I've never had a computer with that graphics card so i'm not sure. However, I have a shuttle SS51G and the integrated graphics is good enough to play it smoothly.

However, when I called Dell to order, the guy said that this computer won't be able to play it because of the crappy graphics card. he said even games such as starcraft would be very laggy on it (probably a lie since i used to play starcraft on a pentium 200 with a 1mb video card)

The rep suggested I order the higher model (Dimension 4600) since the 2400 can't even be upgraded while the 4600 can.

This computer is for my uncle and his son. They just bought warcraft 3 and realized they couldn't play it on their old computer. They don't want to spend too much either. The 2400 is only 599 which is why they wanted it. (the 4600 which the rep suggested is 899... and my uncle doesn't want to spend that much)

anyways, your comments/suggestions are greatly appreciated! thanks.

NO!! intel extreme slideshow is horrible for W3, and if you liek 640x480 at minimum settings at about 10-15 fps, and while trying to actually have things on screen it lag is playable, by all means, use it! lol! heck, just build em a 1700+, a Kt400, and geforce 2 for $600. it'll be faster!

dippy_skoodlez

funnyperson1 said:
Its on par with a TNT2. At 640x480 it should be able to handle warcraft. Newer games will really suffer though. Things like UT2003 or Americas Army will be close to unplayable at lowest settings.

That said its not a bad computer for the kind of user these people seem to be. Ask dell if it has an AGP slot and maybe you coulld get a nice 9100/8500 that would definately satisfy their needs for years to come.

No... its barely even close.. my aunt has a 2.0 celeron HP with inetl extreme slideshow 2, and it barely keeps up with a TnT2 M64 when its slightly underclocked, letalone the pathetic shader support, and BTW, UT2k3 and AA and such WILL NOT run on the video. it checks for it, and will come up with an error =P not likes its even cloise to fast enough anyways.

EDIT: I know the error comes up on my dads celeron with intel crapola