• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel 960 overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

h1cks86

I have a Intel i7 960 4 core LGA1366 which is currently running at it's standard of 3.33ghz.

I want to overclock it to 3.8ghz or even 4ghz. Has anyone got any stable settings for this? I.e voltage etc.

Rig Spec
CPU: Intel i7 960
Motherboard: GIGABYTE G1 Guerrilla
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600 Mhz CL9 XMP
Graphics: Nvidia Zotac 670GTX 2048 MB x2 (SLI)

Can you even overclock it? I thought (please do correct me if I'm wrong) that only the K series Intel's could be overclocked

That CPU is several years old... they overclock by BCLK, not by multiplier. back then all of the multiplier unlocked CPUs were 'extreme' series and expensive. Since Sandybridge a few years ago, they then started using the "K" nomenclature for CPUs with unlocked multipliers. Also, the FSB/BCLK was locked from then forward... hence why you need a K series CPU (for the most part... just leaving at that for this high level explanation) to overclock.

Back